Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:44 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice and a realistic assessment of my chances. AF JAG is my ideal career. I'm a 1L at a top 50 well known West Coast regional school. Before law school, I did two internships (one with governor of my state, one with my congressman). Undergrad GPA: 3.9. Between college and law school, I was a high school math teacher for Teach For America. In law school, I have a 3.0 GPA.

So far, I've applied to Army JAG 1L internship, AF JAG 1L internship, and AF JAG 1L externship. I realize these are highly competitive internships. So, I applied to several non JAG internships to be safe and have a job over the summer.

For the Army JAG internship, I did a Field Screening Officer interview. Extremely positive. He said I had an excellent cover letter and encouraged me to focus on a JAG career as I continue law school. Additionally, I am a first generation American that is fluent in two strategic languages. I am currently applying for a fellowship that allows students to study Arabic and international and comparative law simultaneously.

Lastly, I want to apply to the AF JAG OYCP. I spoke to my school's ROTC commander who gave me his full support. I think my GPA is my main weakness. At this point, I am just waiting for internship/externship results. Thoughts? Appreciate any constructive advice/feedback.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:44 pm
Hi all,

I'm looking for advice and a realistic assessment of my chances. AF JAG is my ideal career. I'm a 1L at a top 50 well known West Coast regional school. Before law school, I did two internships (one with governor of my state, one with my congressman). Undergrad GPA: 3.9. Between college and law school, I was a high school math teacher for Teach For America. In law school, I have a 3.0 GPA.

So far, I've applied to Army JAG 1L internship, AF JAG 1L internship, and AF JAG 1L externship. I realize these are highly competitive internships. So, I applied to several non JAG internships to be safe and have a job over the summer.

For the Army JAG internship, I did a Field Screening Officer interview. Extremely positive. He said I had an excellent cover letter and encouraged me to focus on a JAG career as I continue law school. Additionally, I am a first generation American that is fluent in two strategic languages. I am currently applying for a fellowship that allows students to study Arabic and international and comparative law simultaneously.

Lastly, I want to apply to the AF JAG OYCP. I spoke to my school's ROTC commander who gave me his full support. I think my GPA is my main weakness. At this point, I am just waiting for internship/externship results. Thoughts? Appreciate any constructive advice/feedback.
I am not sure what substantive feedback you are looking for here. You have some things going for you, which you appear to be aware of. Median-ish GPA may be a liability but the other soft factors you note may be enough to overcome that.

Get fit if you aren’t already. Don’t suck if you end up getting the internship. Work to get your GPA up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:32 pm

Everyone, good news! I’ve been following this thread for nearly a year now, through multiple attempts at various JAG opportunities. I was selected for Army Reserve JAG last week, off the alternate list. I am currently working through medical and other administrative options of the accessions process. Thus, if you were initially subdued about alternate selection, keep hopes up! Good news is ahead. Anyone have tips for getting through the accessions process and what to do to progress towards fitness goals at this point? I’m a runner and cardio guy but know 110% I need to improve my upper body strength. I’m so excited though, this has been a long process I’ve been changing my life around for for nearly 3 years (including concluding law school, becoming admitted, and losing over 100 lbs). Keep pushin!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:47 pm

I'm seeking some info. Im Guard. If I must split my DCC and JAOBC can I promote to Captain before completing JAOBC? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:47 am

I am currently a 1LT guard jag waiting for my promotion to be approved. I am absolutely certain that completion of JAOBC and being 27A duty qualified is a prerequisite for promotion to Captain.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HocVice

New

Post by HocVice » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:32 pm
Everyone, good news! I’ve been following this thread for nearly a year now, through multiple attempts at various JAG opportunities. I was selected for Army Reserve JAG last week, off the alternate list. I am currently working through medical and other administrative options of the accessions process. Thus, if you were initially subdued about alternate selection, keep hopes up! Good news is ahead. Anyone have tips for getting through the accessions process and what to do to progress towards fitness goals at this point? I’m a runner and cardio guy but know 110% I need to improve my upper body strength. I’m so excited though, this has been a long process I’ve been changing my life around for for nearly 3 years (including concluding law school, becoming admitted, and losing over 100 lbs). Keep pushin!
Don’t stress about accessions. As long as you’re doing things promptly and not waiting until the last minute to get stuff done, it’s not a very intense process, even if you have waivers.

Biggest fitness thing to note is that the ACFT will likely be official later this year, so it will be a JAOBC graduation requirement. Look at its 6 parts (although the final version is going to be slightly different).

The biggest thing that gets most people are the leg tucks. If you can’t already do a pull-up/leg tuck, work on rows, flexed arm hangs, and negative pull-ups to improve the muscle group. I bought myself a pull-up bar that goes over my door.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:32 pm
Welcome to the Army Reserve Accessions club, and congrats. As others have said, don't wait 'til the last minute re: any of the deadlines, and don't forget to schedule the lab work within the specified timeframe after the medical exam.

As far as upper body strength, I would plan for the ACFT, as it will be the official test by the time of commissioning. There are YouTube videos demonstrating each exercise. Use proper form on hand release push ups and leg tucks. Strict pull ups are your friend, as are timed flexed arm hangs. I would not suggest that bicep curls or pull-down exercises are a replacement for simply getting on the pull up bar and getting after it. Incorporate a serious core section into every workout, as well. A moderate-weight medicine ball and a few kettlebells will work wonders for core strength and general movement exercises, and will help keep the ligaments healthy. The last thing you want is an injury leading into DCC/JAOBC. Burpees, lunges, and high-rep squats are great bodyweight/kettlebell exercises that don't require a lot of space or equipment.

Remember that the ACFT includes a three-rep deadlift. This is something to keep in mind, depending on your home gym/gym membership situation, as not everyone has a deadlift bar + plates at home.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:49 pm

Are JAG applications asking for more drug use history than the SF-86 (7 years back or while holding a clearance)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:49 pm
Are JAG applications asking for more drug use history than the SF-86 (7 years back or while holding a clearance)?
Navy "ever"
Air Force "ever"
Army application does not ask about drug use but other forms like SF-86 do ask
Coast Guard ?
Marines ?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:51 pm

I'm thinking about applying for Army Reserve JAG, and I'm currently a high school teacher and coach at an independent school. I passed the bar in 2010, practiced for 3 years, and then switched to education (but still maintained an active status with the bar). My question concerns the dates for Officer Training School and JAG School. Do the Army Reserves work with you about dates attending (trying to shoot for summer for my full-time job reasons), or do they simply give you dates when to show up? Thanks.

rastaman8

New

Post by rastaman8 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:13 pm

Before I invest more time in the Army Reserves JAG application process, I wanted to get a sense of my potential success in being accepted. I did well at a T30 law school (good grades, law review, etc.), graduated in 2010 and passed the bar, practiced big law for 1 year, and then became an ADA in a big city for 1 year. I then made a career switch to secondary education and have been a high school teacher and coach ever since. In short, I have not practiced in almost 10 years, but I have maintained an active bar status. I also turn 37 this month. What is the likelihood of my success given my age (I know I would need a waiver) and my time away from active practice? I'm in very good shape—I could pass the physical fitness tests easily right now. Thanks for the help.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:41 am

rastaman8 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:13 pm
Before I invest more time in the Army Reserves JAG application process, I wanted to get a sense of my potential success in being accepted. I did well at a T30 law school (good grades, law review, etc.), graduated in 2010 and passed the bar, practiced big law for 1 year, and then became an ADA in a big city for 1 year. I then made a career switch to secondary education and have been a high school teacher and coach ever since. In short, I have not practiced in almost 10 years, but I have maintained an active bar status. I also turn 37 this month. What is the likelihood of my success given my age (I know I would need a waiver) and my time away from active practice? I'm in very good shape—I could pass the physical fitness tests easily right now. Thanks for the help.
As for your time away from practice, I doubt this would be an issue. Several of my classmates, including myself, do not practice law in our day jobs and were accepted into either USAR or ARNG. I went the ARNG route and it was very apparent to me during the entire process that they valued the whole-person concept and life experience outside of practicing law was just as valuable. I can't see the USAR being any different. As for the age waiver, my observation is that they are granted fairly easily through age 42. When you submit the waiver you will have to provide a justification, just highlight the fact that you maintain an active lifestyle and make physical fitness a priority, which sounds like is the case for you. In short, you have just as good of a chance as any other applicant. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:19 am

Hey, folks:

The updated ACFT details were just released. The biggest items: leg tucks are OUT, and have been replaced by planks (which were previously an optional substitute for leg tucks); and, there is a gendered scoring system again, as opposed to the MOS-based "genderless" scoring that was potentially on the table.

There are some other minor changes, as well. More details here: https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... -know.html

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:28 pm

Does anybody here have any experience clerking for CAAF, or knows of people who have clerked there?

ubersaurusrex

New

Post by ubersaurusrex » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:28 pm
Does anybody here have any experience clerking for CAAF, or knows of people who have clerked there?
One of my classmates in law school clerked for CAAF after graduation. It's not a position that is filled by JAGs, but he was prior service before going to law school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:03 pm

Hey everyone,

I am an accepted incoming Army JAG with a projected accession date of 8 January 2023 to go to DCC. I will graduate from law school in May and will be sitting for the July Bar Exam. From July - January, I am trying to figure out how to stay busy. Does anyone on this thread have any ideas for temporary legal work? What are some of you doing/ did when you went through this process? Thank you all!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:03 pm
Hey everyone,

I am an accepted incoming Army JAG with a projected accession date of 8 January 2023 to go to DCC. I will graduate from law school in May and will be sitting for the July Bar Exam. From July - January, I am trying to figure out how to stay busy. Does anyone on this thread have any ideas for temporary legal work? What are some of you doing/ did when you went through this process? Thank you all!
I know a lot of Prosecutor’s and Public Defenders offices are facing a shortage right now and may allow part time work in their low level courts. I knew some people who did that (I am a current NG Jag). Also, we’re you selected in the 2021 board or the current spring 2022 board?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:22 am

Has anyone heard back from the Spring 2022 Navy Student Program Board?

JPhillips99

New

Post by JPhillips99 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:22 am
I haven't yet. When I interviewed I was told to expect news in early May.

Anyone have any idea when the Air Force will notify people? My understanding is mid April.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:57 pm

JPhillips99 wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Anyone have any idea when the Air Force will notify people? My understanding is mid April.
Not sure about Air Force. I got an email saying Navy would notify April 4-8 but haven't heard anything yet.

JPhillips99

New

Post by JPhillips99 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:57 pm
JPhillips99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not sure about Air Force. I got an email saying Navy would notify April 4-8 but haven't heard anything yet.

Just got an email from the Navy: "[r]esults of the Spring Accession Selection Board have not been released yet. I expect results will be released in the next couple of business days."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:37 pm

JPhillips99 wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:15 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:57 pm
JPhillips99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Just got an email from the Navy: "[r]esults of the Spring Accession Selection Board have not been released yet. I expect results will be released in the next couple of business days."
Navy notifications started going out yesterday

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:42 pm

Does anyone have any info on the Army Spring 2022 AD Board results? Has anyone received any notifications or change in application status?

JPhillips99

New

Post by JPhillips99 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:07 pm

Has anyone heard anything about the Air Force Student DA April Board?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:23 pm

Hi all. Was wondering if anybody might be able to offer some advice. I am currently a 2L at a T30 school. My GPA is around median, and I am on LR and moot court. I have done a JAG internship, and will be at a V5 firm this summer. After graduation, I will be doing a federal clerkship and hope to return to my firm. However, it has always been my dream to be a JAG Officer, and I want to join the JAG Reserves. I suppose my question is how competitive my application would be, and whether it would be smarter for me to apply for a slot this fall and try to commission immediately after my clerkship, or to work a 1-2 years after my clerkship and apply for a commission then? My main concern is whether my JAG duties would make it difficult for me to learn the ropes at my firm. I also would probably prefer Army/Air Force over the other branches.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”