“hypo” in criminal interviews? Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

“hypo” in criminal interviews?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:38 pm

Has anyone ever encountered a “hypo” during the interview process for a USAO or main DOJ? I don’t mean random hypo questions during the interview; this sounds like something is sent right before the interview for you to review and then you discuss it during the interview. Just wondering what to expect.

Anonymous User

Re: “hypo” in criminal interviews?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:38 pm
Has anyone ever encountered a “hypo” during the interview process for a USAO or main DOJ? I don’t mean random hypo questions during the interview; this sounds like something is sent right before the interview for you to review and then you discuss it during the interview. Just wondering what to expect.
I was sent hypos before an interview once, but not like five minutes before. If they've told you they're sending you something there will be at least a little time to prepare.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:25 am
Anonymous User wrote:
I was sent hypos before an interview once, but not like five minutes before. If they've told you they're sending you something there will be at least a little time to prepare.
What was the nature of the hypo? Was it like, “prepare an opening statement for this fact pattern” or more like, here’s some facts, what would you go about doing in this case?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:08 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:25 am
Anonymous User wrote:
What was the nature of the hypo? Was it like, “prepare an opening statement for this fact pattern” or more like, here’s some facts, what would you go about doing in this case?
I got ethics hypos. A friend had to prepare a mock closing (or opening, I can’t remember which). My current office sometimes does a crim pro hypo.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I was giving a fact pattern and asked about how I would go about investigating. They threw in some issues with witnesses and asked how I'd go about trying the case. Second round I had to prepare a mock opening statement

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:55 am

I was given a prompt and told to prepare an opening statement-esque statement. The prompt was non-substantive: what was one professional mistake you made and what did you learn from it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”