Does FTC Consumer Protection do entry-level hiring Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Does FTC Consumer Protection do entry-level hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:55 pm

Does FTC Consumer Protection do entry-level hiring like Competition?

Anonymous User

Re: Does FTC Consumer Protection do entry-level hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:42 am

I’m not positive if they do or not. But I will tell you that although FTC has independent litigation authority, Consumer Protection at DOJ also does FTCA suits. They hire through honors so do hire entry level people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:51 pm

I’ve heard they give return offers to a couple of the 2L summers but not sure if they hire beyond that. Sorry to not have more concrete info.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:14 am

BCP atty here. I've only been here for a few years (and came in as a lateral myself); during my tenure, the only entry-level hiring has been from the pool of summer law clerks, and from that pool, only a small number gets hired every year. However, the good news is that laterals can (and do) get hired with as little as 2 years of experience.

As another poster noted, the consumer protection branch of DOJ's civil division also enforces some FTC act cases (in case civil penalties are sought), and CPB participates in DOJ's honors program.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:14 am
BCP atty here. I've only been here for a few years (and came in as a lateral myself); during my tenure, the only entry-level hiring has been from the pool of summer law clerks, and from that pool, only a small number gets hired every year. However, the good news is that laterals can (and do) get hired with as little as 2 years of experience.

As another poster noted, the consumer protection branch of DOJ's civil division also enforces some FTC act cases (in case civil penalties are sought), and CPB participates in DOJ's honors program.
What % get hired from the summer pool?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:31 pm

I don’t have an exact number since I haven’t been directly involved with the summer law clerk to full time hire pipeline, but my impression is maybe 2-3 full time hires out of a dozen or so summer clerks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 16, 2023 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:42 am
I’m not positive if they do or not. But I will tell you that although FTC has independent litigation authority, Consumer Protection at DOJ also does FTCA suits. They hire through honors so do hire entry level people.
As a heads up, all FTCA suits involving civil penalties have to come to DOJ Consumer who decides whether to accept or decline the case. If they accept, they take the case over from FTC. So I’m not sure if FTC technically has independent lit authority, but if they do, they don’t really have it in practice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”