How many AUSAs are there in each district? Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

How many AUSAs are there in each district?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:17 pm

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere (I googled and couldn't find the answer on TLS either)

Does anyone know how many AUSAs exist in each district?
Specifically in SDNY, EDNY, and DC? I saw somewhere that there are about 3,500 AUSAs in the US, but I couldn't find stats on each district. Thanks very much.

Anonymous User

Re: How many AUSAs are there in each district?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:17 pm
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere (I googled and couldn't find the answer on TLS either)

Specifically in SDNY, EDNY, and DC? I saw somewhere that there are about 3,500 AUSAs in the US, but I couldn't find stats on each district. Thanks very much.
I'm an AUSA and don't know how I would even figure out the answer to this. It's probably out there somewhere but you might have to call up the EOUSA to get an accurate figure, and/or FOIA it. If someone else knows I'd love to see the answer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm an AUSA and don't know how I would even figure out the answer to this. It's probably out there somewhere but you might have to call up the EOUSA to get an accurate figure, and/or FOIA it. If someone else knows I'd love to see the answer.
Yeah, I'm an AUSA and I don't know either. There are a bunch of statistics about USAO activity at https://www.justice.gov/usao/resources/ ... al-reports, but they don't include numbers of AUSAs that I can see.

That said, googling comes up with 220 in SDNY and 330 in DC (no immediate dice on EDNY), but no idea how current those numbers are.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:26 pm

You also need to take into account the weird unique characteristics of each USAO, if you're trying to get a big picture idea of the USAO population at large. DC hires a lot of AUSAs because there's no such thing as a D.C. District Attorney. The USAO *IS* the District Attorney for DC. D. Ariz., W.D. Tex., S.D. Cal. and other border districts are stocked up on AUSAs because of disproportionate amounts of border-related prosecutions. D. Vt. probably prosecutes maple syrup smugglers a lot or something. And so on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, I'm an AUSA and I don't know either. There are a bunch of statistics about USAO activity at https://www.justice.gov/usao/resources/ ... al-reports, but they don't include numbers of AUSAs that I can see.

That said, googling comes up with 220 in SDNY and 330 in DC (no immediate dice on EDNY), but no idea how current those numbers are.
Thanks very much!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”