Illinois AG Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Illinois AG

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:59 pm

Hi, I'm considering a position with the Illinois AG. Does anyone have insight into the culture of the office or anything that might not be obvious from the outside? Have you worked there and liked it/hated it? Just would love more context. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Illinois AG

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:27 pm

I interned there. It's a pretty chill place, not very high paying (you can find the salaries publicly), my group was a mix of people who came for the WLB (it's literally a 35 hr a week job) and people who didn't have the credentials for a better paying job. Hard to advance from within because the really fancy jobs are all political.

Oh and the building sucks. I heard they are moving in a couple of years tho.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:59 pm
Hi, I'm considering a position with the Illinois AG. Does anyone have insight into the culture of the office or anything that might not be obvious from the outside? Have you worked there and liked it/hated it? Just would love more context. Thanks!
We're moving within a year and a half. Your experience is dependent on the work you want to do. The office is big and does a lot of different work--I wouldn't trust broad generalizations. You'd be better off looking up people working in the area you're interested in and asking them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:07 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:59 pm
We're moving within a year and a half. Your experience is dependent on the work you want to do. The office is big and does a lot of different work--I wouldn't trust broad generalizations. You'd be better off looking up people working in the area you're interested in and asking them.
Echoing this. Don't think of "Illinois AG" as one law firm. Every division is its own law firm, and a division within a particular city can also be its own law firm, in terms of culture, WLB, pay, etc. Broad generalizations are pretty useless when it comes to questions about state AG offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:03 pm

Thanks. What are the general rules on dress code and WFH? That's what I mainly want to know. And it's ok if it's just your personal experience from your practice group.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:03 pm
Thanks. What are the general rules on dress code and WFH? That's what I mainly want to know. And it's ok if it's just your personal experience from your practice group.
The former intern here (who everyone else seems to think should shut up lol). Dress code at the time was tie required, but no suits. Wasn’t really enforced but I wore a tie with my bus cas every day. WFH probably depends on the group and my info would be outdated anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:59 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:03 pm
The former intern here (who everyone else seems to think should shut up lol). Dress code at the time was tie required, but no suits. Wasn’t really enforced but I wore a tie with my bus cas every day. WFH probably depends on the group and my info would be outdated anyway.
I appreciate your broad generalizations, as that is more or less what I asked for!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:56 pm

The new regime is 3x a week in office, up to you on when, generally. DC is business casual.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:32 pm

Anyone know, or know how to find, IL AG policies about marijuana use outside of work? I assume it's fine given that it's legal in IL. I'd also love to see their HR handbook, if there's a copy available to the public.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:32 pm
Anyone know, or know how to find, IL AG policies about marijuana use outside of work? I assume it's fine given that it's legal in IL. I'd also love to see their HR handbook, if there's a copy available to the public.
(a) If you don't find a "policy," I'm going to venture that you should treat it the same way you do alcohol use outside of work. Should you choose to ingest, don't be a moron about it and make sure you are in compliance with state law.

(b) Know that you are in violation of federal law. I guess, though you are interested in an Illinois AG career, you are not interested in an eventual federal career? If that's not a fair assumption, I'm only making it based on your comment. Applying to any DOJ positions in Illinois or wherever requires an extensive FBI investigation which will require you to disclose your full narcotics history, and if you have used marijuana recreationally as a licensed attorney, recently, your application will be denied.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:32 pm
Bumping in the hopes someone can answer my question as presented.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”