USA Jobs Application Timing Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

USA Jobs Application Timing

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:46 pm

I’m finishing up a two year clerkship next year, and I’m looking for post clerkship employment opportunities (so starting August/September 2023). I, unfortunately, struck out in the DOJ Honors Program hiring process, and I have an application pending with another honors program that just closed applications last month. I’ve been looking at different GS-12/GS-13 attorney positions listed on USA Jobs that honestly sound super interesting. I know federal hiring can take a long time. But I’m not sure whether it’s too early to apply to positions with vacancies right now? Or does federal hiring really take so long that folks aren’t going to scoff at someone applying essentially now for an August 2023 start? I don’t want to waste too much time applying to things if it’s way too early (or waste hiring committees’ time), but I’m also feeling antsy about trying to line up a job and don’t want to miss opportunities that sound cool. Thanks for any insight anyone may have!

Anonymous User

Re: USA Jobs Application Timing

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:22 am

AUSA here.

Apply now. There's no general rule for the timing of these applications and how long they take. Every office in each district is different. It just depends on what's going on locally.

Given the strange labor market conditions that seem to exist right now, I would encourage you to apply anywhere that you're interested in moving to. For some reason, qualified lawyers are not applying for these jobs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:22 am
AUSA here.

Apply now. There's no general rule for the timing of these applications and how long they take. Every office in each district is different. It just depends on what's going on locally.

Given the strange labor market conditions that seem to exist right now, I would encourage you to apply anywhere that you're interested in moving to. For some reason, qualified lawyers are not applying for these jobs.
Hey, thanks for the advice!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:46 pm
I’m finishing up a two year clerkship next year, and I’m looking for post clerkship employment opportunities (so starting August/September 2023). I, unfortunately, struck out in the DOJ Honors Program hiring process, and I have an application pending with another honors program that just closed applications last month. I’ve been looking at different GS-12/GS-13 attorney positions listed on USA Jobs that honestly sound super interesting. I know federal hiring can take a long time. But I’m not sure whether it’s too early to apply to positions with vacancies right now? Or does federal hiring really take so long that folks aren’t going to scoff at someone applying essentially now for an August 2023 start? I don’t want to waste too much time applying to things if it’s way too early (or waste hiring committees’ time), but I’m also feeling antsy about trying to line up a job and don’t want to miss opportunities that sound cool. Thanks for any insight anyone may have!
Fellow clerk here finishing around the same time as you. I struck out on DOJ Honors as well and am submitting applications on USA Jobs. I was interviewed for one position that didn't pan out. That could be because the hiring agency had a more immediate need/need for someone with more experience, but who's to say. Best of luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”