Cover Letter for Non-Honors Program DOJ/FTC Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Cover Letter for Non-Honors Program DOJ/FTC Applications

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:24 pm

Hi. Is there anything in particular I should include in my cover letters to the non-honors DOJ/FTC antitrust segments? I obviously will talk about my dedication to public service and interest in the subject, location, and preference of civil vs criminal.

I just applied, interviewed with, and got rejected from the DOJ Honors Program for the Antitrust Division, so I don't know if I should re-use much of the same language from my essays, or maybe focus on certain other topics.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Cover Letter for Non-Honors Program DOJ/FTC Applications

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:28 pm

What you reference is good, but mostly addresses why you want to work for them. Talk about why they should want you to work for them - what kinds of skills/experiences do you bring to the table?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:28 pm
What you reference is good, but mostly addresses why you want to work for them. Talk about why they should want you to work for them - what kinds of skills/experiences do you bring to the table?
I'll be coming out of a clerkship, my first experience out of law school. I have tons of antitrust-related coursework in my repertoire, and prior Gov't internships (non-antitrust). That's it--do you think I should mention anything else in particular? Should I contact current employees and wait until I speak with them to send in an application?

Thanks for your response!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:35 pm

Experienced DOJ trial lawyer here. Use trial lawyer skills: be super succinct and short, and don't try too hard to make the case. Use specific pinpoint facts to insert into the one or two paragraphs you will be using. The wordier you are the less likely you will get a 100% scan of all words on the page. Not too little. Not too much.

FTC does solid work; I wish you good luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:28 pm
I'll be coming out of a clerkship, my first experience out of law school. I have tons of antitrust-related coursework in my repertoire, and prior Gov't internships (non-antitrust). That's it--do you think I should mention anything else in particular? Should I contact current employees and wait until I speak with them to send in an application?

Thanks for your response!
You should mention what you think are your strongest selling points, without duplicating what's on your resume. So talk about something specific from your clerkship or internships or coursework that won't be evident from your resume and will highlight your skills or ability to learn.

But I also agree with being short and sweet. Long cover letters invariably just repeat what's on your resume.

Speaking to people in the job is always helpful, if you have some kind of connection you can use (mutual friend, same alma mater, etc.). I think a completely cold contact to someone in government would look a little weird, but I might be too cautious. I don't know that you should put applying on hold for that, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”