JD Preferred Badass Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

JD Preferred Badass

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:15 pm

So I’m a vet and in law school currently. I’m squaring up for a fed govt legal career, but I’ve been informed that some agencies could try to entice me into more physical, less legal, roles. That makes me curious. What are some some badass jobs in the fed govt that my JD might make me more attractive for (so the JD isn’t wasted completely) that get up into the 6 figures, somewhere near the legal jobs that cap at like 150-170?

Anonymous User

Re: JD Preferred Badass

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:41 pm

I'm pretty sure if you google "[agency name] agent jobs" you'll get directed to the pertinent web pages which seem to provide a reasonable amount of information about salary. Also keep an eye out for the age requirements.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:15 pm
So I’m a vet and in law school currently. I’m squaring up for a fed govt legal career, but I’ve been informed that some agencies could try to entice me into more physical, less legal, roles. That makes me curious. What are some some badass jobs in the fed govt that my JD might make me more attractive for (so the JD isn’t wasted completely) that get up into the 6 figures, somewhere near the legal jobs that cap at like 150-170?
FBI agency counsel, or agency counsel for any of the other law enforcement agencies. Compared to being an AUSA though, I really question how cool those jobs are. If I want to be an FBI agent, I'll be an FBI agent. Since I'm not one, I like the AUSA gig quite a bit. Being an agency counsel kind of seems to me like the worst of both worlds: You don't get a gun or badge on one hand, and on the other hand you're not the public face of the United States in federal courts of law (AUSAs do that).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:53 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:15 pm
FBI agency counsel, or agency counsel for any of the other law enforcement agencies. Compared to being an AUSA though, I really question how cool those jobs are. If I want to be an FBI agent, I'll be an FBI agent. Since I'm not one, I like the AUSA gig quite a bit. Being an agency counsel kind of seems to me like the worst of both worlds: You don't get a gun or badge on one hand, and on the other hand you're not the public face of the United States in federal courts of law (AUSAs do that).
OP here. I actually think FBI agent might be in the category of jobs I’m talking about, where the JD makes you more attractive. Unfortunately, though, they do a polygraph at FBI and CIA (for agents and for counsel) and that’s just not something I’m willing to deal with. Know if any other cool agent-like jobs that could be what I’m looking for?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:41 pm
I'm pretty sure if you google "[agency name] agent jobs" you'll get directed to the pertinent web pages which seem to provide a reasonable amount of information about salary. Also keep an eye out for the age requirements.
Don’t they all require a poly though? Don’t wanna do one of those. Know if anything off hand that doesn’t require a poly that a JD could make one more attractive for?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Don’t they all require a poly though? Don’t wanna do one of those. Know if anything off hand that doesn’t require a poly that a JD could make one more attractive for?
No. If people are talking about "physical" jobs, they mean being an agent (rather than agency counsel jobs, as the poster above pointed out). I'm pretty sure all the law enforcement agencies will polygraph you (and if you have anything in your past that makes you worry about passing the poly I'm not sure you'd do well with the background check).

Anyway, why are you already looking for non-law jobs that your JD will make you more attractive for? The purpose of a JD is to get you a job as a lawyer. I'm also not convinced that agencies are trying to entice JDs into agent roles, even those who are vets, but stranger things have been true, so.

Edit: actually, BOP lawyers have to qualify as correctional officers and be prepared to act as a CO under a number of circumstances, so while that's something that would require a JD as a baseline, your experience as a vet would probably make you a good candidate, and I don't think they polygraph. Don't hold me to that, but I can't find any references to such a requirement.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm not understanding your fear of a poly. To become an AUSA or to be counsel to many federal agencies, you will need to qualify for at least a secret clearance level. Poly or not, this means a heavy amount of disclosure and investigation into your personal life. You'll be disclosing information on a 50+ page security form under the penalty of perjury, an FBI agent (if you're going for DOJ) will be interviewing you in person, interviewing your current friends and former friends, former bosses, former HR employees, neighbors, and more. It's almost the same thing as a poly. A poly is rare at this level but it just depends on the specific job, but you might be asked to go for a higher level which could result in a poly. After you go through all that crap to win a clearance, being subject to a poly is a walk in the park.

All of which is to say this: If you don't like what you're reading here, cross a federal career off your checklist.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:28 pm
OP here. I actually think FBI agent might be in the category of jobs I’m talking about, where the JD makes you more attractive. Unfortunately, though, they do a polygraph at FBI and CIA (for agents and for counsel) and that’s just not something I’m willing to deal with. Know if any other cool agent-like jobs that could be what I’m looking for?
Non-federal law enforcement. You should probably think about state and local prosecutor jobs. Those normally make no use of any of your physical skills though. FBI would fit into that category but your reluctance regarding polys is a sign that you won't survive the clearance process. Clearance process level required for FBI is top secret, which includes poly. And, unlike most of the federal government, the FBI has close to zero tolerance for any past drug use, so heads up on that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:06 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm not understanding your fear of a poly. To become an AUSA or to be counsel to many federal agencies, you will need to qualify for at least a secret clearance level. Poly or not, this means a heavy amount of disclosure and investigation into your personal life. You'll be disclosing information on a 50+ page security form under the penalty of perjury, an FBI agent (if you're going for DOJ) will be interviewing you in person, interviewing your current friends and former friends, former bosses, former HR employees, neighbors, and more. It's almost the same thing as a poly. A poly is rare at this level but it just depends on the specific job, but you might be asked to go for a higher level which could result in a poly. After you go through all that crap to win a clearance, being subject to a poly is a walk in the park.

All of which is to say this: If you don't like what you're reading here, cross a federal career off your checklist.
OP here
I already have a secret clearance. I have my reasons for not wanting to poly though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:12 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Non-federal law enforcement. You should probably think about state and local prosecutor jobs. Those normally make no use of any of your physical skills though. FBI would fit into that category but your reluctance regarding polys is a sign that you won't survive the clearance process. Clearance process level required for FBI is top secret, which includes poly. And, unlike most of the federal government, the FBI has close to zero tolerance for any past drug use, so heads up on that.
Op here. I already have a secret clearance - wouldn’t be difficult to up to a top secret. But I want to avoid a poly. And yeah, talking about something more physical, even outside of practicing law - just something that a JD could make me more attractive for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:27 pm

Why do you want to avoid a poly if you’ve made it through the clearance for top secret?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:15 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:12 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Op here. I already have a secret clearance - wouldn’t be difficult to up to a top secret. But I want to avoid a poly. And yeah, talking about something more physical, even outside of practicing law - just something that a JD could make me more attractive for.
Ok, fair enough, I'm just brainstorming in writing with ya. But I think I've covered it in the above posts. Given your priorities, you're probably eliminating a federal career as a possibility. You want a law enforcement/lawyer type of career, but all of those will either earlier or later in your federal career require top secret clearance which means a poly. A simple AUSA position might require secret only with no poly at first, but that could change later in your career. Agency counsel at FBI, DEA, CIA, NSA, ICE, etc., all sure as heck will require top secret and/or polys.

That leaves state or local law enforcement as your best option, if staying within law enforcement is your priority. No poly needed there, in virtually all 50 states, as long as you pass a thorough criminal background check. Maybe a drug test but most states are pretty damn lax even about that. You will probably need to start your career as a low level street crimes prosecutor, preferably at a major metro city, and work your way up. If you have a good personality, are a good lawyer, and get along with people, you'll end up where you want to be.

Civilservant

New

Post by Civilservant » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:37 pm

Who is your favorite Jack Ryan? First name that pops in, no take backs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:36 pm

Civilservant wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:37 pm
Who is your favorite Jack Ryan? First name that pops in, no take backs.
lol... author of "Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:44 pm" here. I've never gotten into Jack Ryan but The Americans is pretty awesome. Assuming you can tolerate six entire seasons of wanting to beat the living pulp out of the two main characters but not being able to do a damn thing about it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”