2022-2023 Honors Attorney Program (BigFed, Non-DOJ) Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: 2022-2023 Honors Attorney Program (BigFed, Non-DOJ)

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:04 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:26 pm
Has anyone received their formal offer yet? If so when did you begin the clearance process?
I accepted a TJO (tentative job offer) over 2 months ago for IRS. You won't begin the clearance process until after graduation because you don't meet the job requirements until you're a JD holder.
Really? I didn't know that. I also accepted an Honors Attorney position with the IRS. I graduated last year and by the time I accepted the offer had passed the bar exam. I received forms for fingerprints and tax records check late last week. I think once by background check is complete, they actually rescind my law clerk offer and then send a new offer for an attorney position.

Needless to say, neither of us will be getting a firm offer any time soon.
Do you have any concerns about your position getting cut, not funded, etc. due to attempted targeting of the IRS for (further) budget cuts? I'm debating when in the fall I want to start, and I'm curious if I'm risking issues if I start in October (FY 2024) rather than September (FY 2023).
Not in the IRS, but I have never heard of an honors attorney getting their position cut and would think circumstances would have to be pretty catastrophic for that to happen. These programs happen every year, agencies value them a lot, and the money is baked in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Has anyone received their formal offer yet? If so when did you begin the clearance process?
I accepted a TJO (tentative job offer) over 2 months ago for IRS. You won't begin the clearance process until after graduation because you don't meet the job requirements until you're a JD holder.
Really? I didn't know that. I also accepted an Honors Attorney position with the IRS. I graduated last year and by the time I accepted the offer had passed the bar exam. I received forms for fingerprints and tax records check late last week. I think once by background check is complete, they actually rescind my law clerk offer and then send a new offer for an attorney position.

Do you have any concerns about your position getting cut, not funded, etc. due to attempted targeting of the IRS for (further) budget cuts? I'm debating when in the fall I want to start, and I'm curious if I'm risking issues if I start in October (FY 2024) rather than September (FY 2023).
I am not worried about funding getting cut because I understand that our offers were based on the budget already in place. Considering the 5th Circ (IIIRC) ruled CFPB is unconstitutionally funded, and still hired a new class of Honors Attorney's, I wouldn't worry about funding/targeting.

I didn't know deferring until 2024 was an option, unless, for example, you had a clerkship that fell in your lap since the TO went out.

As far as this year starting date, I believe last year the incoming class was able to choose any time between Aug 1 and Oct 1 commensurate with the start of a pay period (so every two weeks or so).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:21 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I am not worried about funding getting cut because I understand that our offers were based on the budget already in place. Considering the 5th Circ (IIIRC) ruled CFPB is unconstitutionally funded, and still hired a new class of Honors Attorney's, I wouldn't worry about funding/targeting.

I didn't know deferring until 2024 was an option, unless, for example, you had a clerkship that fell in your lap since the TO went out.

As far as this year starting date, I believe last year the incoming class was able to choose any time between Aug 1 and Oct 1 commensurate with the start of a pay period (so every two weeks or so).
Sorry, that may have been unclear, I didn't mean until calendar year 2024. September 30 falls in fiscal year (FY) 2023, while October 1 falls in FY 2024. The government is funded through the FY, though usually passes a continuing resolution until December until they can pass the budget for the next year. So it's potentially a difference of just a few days or weeks, but that difference can have some big effects, especially with everything going on right now re: IRS (apologies if you knew all this already, just wanted to make sure my statement about starting date was clear).

It's good to know a little bit more about starting dates, as HR told me I could start Aug-Oct but didn't explain the way you did.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:26 pm

My security approval went through and I was told I should be getting a formal offer by EOW! I filled out my forms in mid December and did fingerprints before Christmas. I was very pleased at the quick turn around!
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:26 pm
My security approval went through and I was told I should be getting a formal offer by EOW! I filled out my forms in mid December and did fingerprints before Christmas. I was very pleased at the quick turn around!
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is for IRS? Field office or HQ? I assume you're already an attorney then?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:20 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is at HQ. I graduated in 2022 and currently in a clerkship, so I applied (again) when apps opened for this cycle. I didn't find out that I passed the bar exam until the day before HR called with the tentative offer. The way the govt works is that the agency has to hire you for the job you submitted to in your application. Once you provide your documents showing you're barred and in good standing, they rescind the original offer (this applies only if you find out before starting the gig that you passed the bar) and extend the new offer to hire you as an attorney.

If you have already started in the role, then I think it's just a change in status from clerk to attorney.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:29 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is at HQ. I graduated in 2022 and currently in a clerkship, so I applied (again) when apps opened for this cycle. I didn't find out that I passed the bar exam until the day before HR called with the tentative offer. The way the govt works is that the agency has to hire you for the job you submitted to in your application. Once you provide your documents showing you're barred and in good standing, they rescind the original offer (this applies only if you find out before starting the gig that you passed the bar) and extend the new offer to hire you as an attorney.

If you have already started in the role, then I think it's just a change in status from clerk to attorney.
Have you gotten your new offer yet? I’m in the same situation as you- passed the bar just before the interview, current offer is at a clerk level, waiting for background check. Do you know the grade/step for the attorney level? The only thing I can find is LLM is hired at 12/4, but I don’t know about JD w/license.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:23 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Have you gotten your new offer yet? I’m in the same situation as you- passed the bar just before the interview, current offer is at a clerk level, waiting for background check. Do you know the grade/step for the attorney level? The only thing I can find is LLM is hired at 12/4, but I don’t know about JD w/license.
I don't think they bother with the new offers (rescinding the clerk offer) until firm offers go out (after background checks). I wouldn't be surprised if that is not until May or June, tbh.

IIRC, the attorney-level paygrade is GS 12; step 4 for LLM and those coming out of clerkships. I don't know if that includes those who are just barred without relevant experience, as I understand the LLM/clerkship bump is there to give people credit for relevant work experience. This is my theory though, not stated as a fact.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Should be a promotion as well, right? GS 11 is only for a clerk, not an attorney, is my understanding.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:53 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:23 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I don't think they bother with the new offers (rescinding the clerk offer) until firm offers go out (after background checks). I wouldn't be surprised if that is not until May or June, tbh.

IIRC, the attorney-level paygrade is GS 12; step 4 for LLM and those coming out of clerkships. I don't know if that includes those who are just barred without relevant experience, as I understand the LLM/clerkship bump is there to give people credit for relevant work experience. This is my theory though, not stated as a fact.
GS 12 step 4 should be the minimum for any attorney at IRS OCC, because their clerks start out at GS 11 step 8. This is because of the Two-Step Promotion Rule (see: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversig ... romotions/).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:24 am
Has anyone heard anything from HUD?
I contacted BFS and they said that tentative selections have been made for HUD, so it appears that initial offers have either already gone out or will go out soon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:45 am

I accepted an offer to work for IRS OCC through the Honors Attorney program, for which you start out as a Law Clerk (0904, GS 11). Upon passing the bar, you're promoted to Attorney (0905). Does anyone know if you get promoted to GS 12 at that point? Additionally, I see that 0905 for IRS OCC has promotion potential up to GS 14--how does one get promoted to GS 13 and then 14, and what are those timelines usually like? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:45 am
I accepted an offer to work for IRS OCC through the Honors Attorney program, for which you start out as a Law Clerk (0904, GS 11). Upon passing the bar, you're promoted to Attorney (0905). Does anyone know if you get promoted to GS 12 at that point? Additionally, I see that 0905 for IRS OCC has promotion potential up to GS 14--how does one get promoted to GS 13 and then 14, and what are those timelines usually like? Thanks!
The promotion is to GS 12-4.

Source: HR told me on the offer call when I said that I just passed the bar exam and asked what that means for pay increase.
The GS scale is designed to be a 20 year thing (so I am told). Once we hit 14, I think it's a bump roughly every 6 months. (don't quote me on it, though)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:57 pm
True_blue_hhs wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:42 pm
Re: CFPB - How do you know?

I’ve heard their honors attorney hiring is way down and they hired mostly appellate clerks or HYS grads last cycle, so I’m not holding my breath.
I have a very reliable source, that's all I can say.

They hired 4 people out of 250 apps last year. 50 made it through to referred to hiring manager and of that 20 interviewed.

I think they definitely favor clerks but that's most federal agencies in my opinion
Does anyone have an update on whether this panned out to be true? I did a quick LinkedIn search and see at least 7 honors attorneys who started fall 2022, so seems like this poster was not well-informed?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:11 pm

I don’t know if the 2022 numbers were right, but I do know that there was very little hiring done this year. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were only around 5 new honors attorneys starting at the CFPB in fall 2023.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:37 pm

Has anyone heard back about interviews at FINRA or PCAOB?

Also, does anyone know if the current attorney positions open at the Federal Reserve Board that allow 0 years of experience will hire for a fall 2023 start date?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:52 pm

Does anyone have a start date yet, or any idea when honors attorneys started in previous years? (I’m guessing each agency has their own timeline, so I’m just looking for a general idea)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:36 pm

Does anyone know if HUD offers have gone out yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:52 pm
Does anyone have a start date yet, or any idea when honors attorneys started in previous years? (I’m guessing each agency has their own timeline, so I’m just looking for a general idea)
I was the only hire for a field office of my agency, they told me I can choose my start date within a timeline (As soon as I graduate - September 5th). Starting in June.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:37 pm
Has anyone heard back about interviews at FINRA or PCAOB?

Also, does anyone know if the current attorney positions open at the Federal Reserve Board that allow 0 years of experience will hire for a fall 2023 start date?

Yeah, I got an interview request for FINRA a couple of weeks ago, if that's what you're asking about.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:11 pm
I don’t know if the 2022 numbers were right, but I do know that there was very little hiring done this year. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were only around 5 new honors attorneys starting at the CFPB in fall 2023.
How do you know? Is it normally around 10?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:53 am
Anonymous User wrote:
I was the only hire for a field office of my agency, they told me I can choose my start date within a timeline (As soon as I graduate - September 5th). Starting in June.
Oh interesting. That won’t interfere with your bar study?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
That’s what I was told when I was offered a position. IIRC supervision hired one, enforcement hired 2-3 and regs hired 1-2. Don’t quote me on it though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:53 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Oh interesting. That won’t interfere with your bar study?
It will. My school ends on April 20th or something like that. I am starting the bar course as soon as it opens because all my classes are p/f this semester and I will hit bar study hard after graduation until my starting date in June. The office also offered me to work part-time until after the bar and that's what I am going to do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
That’s what I was told when I was offered a position. IIRC supervision hired one, enforcement hired 2-3 and regs hired 1-2. Don’t quote me on it though.
Wow no legal division? Congrats on the offer

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”