2022-2023 Honors Attorney Program (BigFed, Non-DOJ) Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: 2022-2023 Honors Attorney Program (BigFed, Non-DOJ)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:07 pm

Anyone hear anything from the FCC or GAO?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:45 pm

Just got asked to interview for NLRB Honors Attorney Program Field Office on 03/08.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:06 pm

How long is it taking for folks to hear back on the background process? I accepted a TO about 2 months ago and gave some material for them to start the background check. I haven't heard anything since then. I checked in with the HR person assigned to me, and she said she had no idea of a timeframe.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:06 pm
How long is it taking for folks to hear back on the background process? I accepted a TO about 2 months ago and gave some material for them to start the background check. I haven't heard anything since then. I checked in with the HR person assigned to me, and she said she had no idea of a timeframe.
IRS told me they don’t even start the background check process until closer to the fall. Tax check is already in progress.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I filled out the secret clearance form late December. Late February had the interview with my investigator. Yesterday she called me and told me she submitted my report for the adjudication. Was told by the Honors hires from last year that now I will have to wait for a couple of months or so.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah, I accepted a TO about 1.5 months ago too, and Ive heard nothing since

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:00 pm

Anyone heard from PCAOB Honors?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:00 pm
wdym. I had a screener with some recruiter a few weeks ago who said they chose ~20 people to interview from hundreds. He also said I would be "moving forward," but considering how a few weeks have passed, that's big doubt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:51 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:00 pm
wdym. I had a screener with some recruiter a few weeks ago who said they chose ~20 people to interview from hundreds. He also said I would be "moving forward," but considering how a few weeks have passed, that's big doubt.
Yep, also had screener but wasn't hearing back so was wondering....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:39 pm

Anyone have any insight on the VA Court of Appeals Litigation Group? There's a terrifying thread on another forum about the Veterans Board of Appeals, but not as much about the CALG.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:49 pm

Have any clerks received their formal offer yet?

My TO went out in December, and my HR contact keeps promising to send me my FO, but it has yet to arrive… I’m starting to wonder if this job offer is a figment of my imagination.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:39 pm
Anyone have any insight on the VA Court of Appeals Litigation Group? There's a terrifying thread on another forum about the Veterans Board of Appeals, but not as much about the CALG.
No specific info on CALG, but having worked on VA appeals in law school, I would avoid unless you know you like that kind of work (and are prepared to work for the VA).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:49 pm
Have any clerks received their formal offer yet?

My TO went out in December, and my HR contact keeps promising to send me my FO, but it has yet to arrive… I’m starting to wonder if this job offer is a figment of my imagination.
Haha no. I got my TO a month later than you, and I haven't heard a peep since. I try not to think about it

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:16 am

Does anyone know anything about the FHFA honors program?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:38 pm

Anyone hear of any movement for the FCC? It doesn't seem like they've done interviews yet based on this thread, but I'm unsure and wanted to ask.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:38 pm
Anyone hear of any movement for the FCC? It doesn't seem like they've done interviews yet based on this thread, but I'm unsure and wanted to ask.
I received an interview request from FCC a few days ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:00 pm

[quote="Anonymous User" post_id=10543753 time=1679348657 user_id=45852]
[quote="Anonymous User" post_id=10543721 time=1679330311 user_id=45852]
[/quote]

I received an interview request from FCC a few days ago.
[/quote]

Thank you for sharing! That's good to know.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:31 pm

What’s the etiquette wrt interviewing after receiving an offer? For non-honors attorneys positions, it’s normal to continue to apply and interview until you actually start your new job, because a job offers could fall through at any time. But I understand that for honors positions, the offer is pretty much a sure thing as long as you pass your clearance. So should you stop applying and interviewing once you have accepted a tentative offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:31 pm
What’s the etiquette wrt interviewing after receiving an offer? For non-honors attorneys positions, it’s normal to continue to apply and interview until you actually start your new job, because a job offers could fall through at any time. But I understand that for honors positions, the offer is pretty much a sure thing as long as you pass your clearance. So should you stop applying and interviewing once you have accepted a tentative offer?
I'm doing whatever the fuck I want to 8)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm doing whatever the fuck I want to 8)
Fair enough. I already have my top choice offer, so I don’t want to continue interviewing unless for some reason my offer isn’t secure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm not sure where you get the idea that other job offers could fall through at any time, but yes, as long you pass your clearance you're going to have the honors position. I think people may be reading too much into "tentative" - it's a weird government thing that they can't give you a firm offer until you get clearance, but you can't get clearance without a tentative offer.

If there are other jobs you'd genuinely prefer to your honors offer, then do you, I guess, along with sunglasses-emoji poster. If you actually want to take the honors gig, yes, I'd stop applying and interviewing after you've accepted a tentative offer - if you actually get another offer from another job, what are you going to do? ask them to hold them off until the honors tentative offer becomes final (or doesn't)? accept two offers and renege once the honors offer is final?

So if you're applying to/interviewing with other jobs b/c you want them more, arguably a little shitty and you would probably (though not necessarily) burn bridges with the honors agency if you reneged, but it's your life and you have to look after your own interests. If you're applying/interviewing because you're worried your "tentative" offer won't come through, I would not remotely worry about this (unless there's something in your background that you're seriously worried about, in which case I'd actually reach out to the agency to get input, because it's usually better the withdraw before completing a clearance than to get rejected).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
it's usually better the withdraw before completing a clearance than to get rejected)

Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean it’s better in terms of chances for getting a clearance in the future/at a different agency?

Obviously if you withdraw before completing a background investigation/clearance check, you won’t get the position you were offered. But it seems to me that if you were rejected because of some issue in your background, you would get rejected due to that issue on a different application regardless of whether you completed a clearance check the first time around or not, unless something in your background has materially changed or you have mitigated the risk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:26 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
it's usually better the withdraw before completing a clearance than to get rejected)

Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean it’s better in terms of chances for getting a clearance in the future/at a different agency?

Obviously if you withdraw before completing a background investigation/clearance check, you won’t get the position you were offered. But it seems to me that if you were rejected because of some issue in your background, you would get rejected due to that issue on a different application regardless of whether you completed a clearance check the first time around or not, unless something in your background has materially changed or you have mitigated the risk.
Yes, I meant with regard to getting a clearance/job in future. Sometimes issues become less of a problem over time, such as drug use and financial issues. Something that’s an issue now might not be a dealbreaker in 5 years. So it is possible to mitigate risks, and my understanding is that in such circumstances, it’s better not to have the information out there in your background check and to have an actual failure on your record. (All the info you provide on previous background checks stays in the system and is accessible in future checks.)

At least, that’s my understanding - not sure how it always plays out in practice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:54 am

If the worst thing happens, you can appeal the denial of security clearance. This is confirmed. Not sure about the success rate though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:55 pm

Does anyone have an idea of the timing for Army Corps of Engineers hiring after the qualification interview? I'm aware that after being qualified your information goes out to the regional offices who can then reach out for interviews, but does anyone have an idea of how long that usually takes? Or how often it's happened that someone's qualification has expired before they found a position?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”