Background Questions at the FTC or State Attorney Generals for Internships/Employment Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Background Questions at the FTC or State Attorney Generals for Internships/Employment

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:27 am

I am interested in applying for internships at the FTC and potentially some State Attorney General's offices.
Does anyone know the depth of background questions they ask on their applications or how to find out?
I am not sure about a specific state yet, but if you have any information on any states that would be helpful.

I would love to work at the DOJ, but the background questions are extremely intrusive, and I am not sure I'd like to put everything they ask down on paper. I do have some concerns that could potentially eliminate me from consideration for employment at the DOJ, but nothing that would prevent me from getting licensed from a state bar. As in, what would eliminate me from consideration at the DOJ is only something that would be revealed upon in-depth questioning, rather than anything that is reflected on my record.

Any info would be appreciated!

Anonymous User

Re: Background Questions at the FTC or State Attorney Generals for Internships/Employment

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:18 am

I interned at the FTC and had to fill out an I-9 (https://www.uscis.gov/i-9), OF-306 (https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf), and another form consenting to a background check that didn't actually ask any questions.

Anonymous User

Re: Background Questions at the FTC or State Attorney Generals for Internships/Employment

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:18 am
I interned at the FTC and had to fill out an I-9 (https://www.uscis.gov/i-9), OF-306 (https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf), and another form consenting to a background check that didn't actually ask any questions.
Interned at a state AG's office and from what I recall the forms were pretty similar to the above

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:59 pm

State AG offices vary wildly from state to state. Many are pretty damn lax, and barely do anything beyond the same checks that the state bar does.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:52 pm

The background check at the FTC for internships is fairly minimal--if you apply for a full-time attorney position they will do a full background check through OPM.

State AG's vary: some require fingerprints for a background check.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:52 pm
The background check at the FTC for internships is fairly minimal--if you apply for a full-time attorney position they will do a full background check through OPM.

What is the difference between the internship and full time background check? I thought it was pretty much the same forms but that the investigation itself might be longer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

What is the difference between the internship and full time background check? I thought it was pretty much the same forms but that the investigation itself might be longer.
So if the FTC is like other agencies, my understanding is that for the internship they do a kind of prima facie check - if there aren't any issues on the face of the paperwork, you're good. If you're a permanent attorney they're going to do the actual interviews of references and confirming your employment and such. Someone correct me if that's wrong, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:40 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So if the FTC is like other agencies, my understanding is that for the internship they do a kind of prima facie check - if there aren't any issues on the face of the paperwork, you're good. If you're a permanent attorney they're going to do the actual interviews of references and confirming your employment and such. Someone correct me if that's wrong, though.
All federal agencies decide what level of security is needed for particular hires, whether they be interns or lawyers. DOJ/USAO positions require secret level clearance, for example, but FTC might be a lower level known as "public trust." (I don't know that. Just speculating.) For secret clearance, you'll be filling out an SF-86 form. For public trust you'll be filling out an SF-85. The forms are similar but mainly have different time scopes for questions such as, "Have you within the last X years ingested any illegal narcotics?"

Some basic background here: https://news.clearancejobs.com/2018/03/ ... sf86-sf85/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:36 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:40 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

All federal agencies decide what level of security is needed for particular hires, whether they be interns or lawyers. DOJ/USAO positions require secret level clearance, for example, but FTC might be a lower level known as "public trust." (I don't know that. Just speculating.) For secret clearance, you'll be filling out an SF-86 form. For public trust you'll be filling out an SF-85. The forms are similar but mainly have different time scopes for questions such as, "Have you within the last X years ingested any illegal narcotics?"

Some basic background here: https://news.clearancejobs.com/2018/03/ ... sf86-sf85/
My point was more that a given agency will make interns fill out the same forms as the permanent attorneys, but that they don’t do quite the same degree of checking of the answers for interns as for permanent attorneys.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:48 pm

FTC uses the SF-85. They will do a full fitness check, which is in some ways as intrusive as a security clearance background check.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:48 pm
FTC uses the SF-85. They will do a full fitness check, which is in some ways as intrusive as a security clearance background check.
Agree with this. In addition, most agencies are not doing their own security reviews and checks. The USAO uses the FBI. Many federal agencies rely on the DCSA. The clearance forms, even the SF-85, is long and thorough and there will be telephonic or in-person interviews of some of the required references that are included in the form (such as former employers).

Also, another pro tip just for the heck of it, for the love of God just be honest about even any mild narcotics use (as long as it is within the time scope; the feds literally do not give a damn about narcotics use outside of the time scope, unless they choose to ask). For a public trust position, a lot of narcotics use as long as it is honestly disclosed is forgiven and overlooked. The key criteria for them is whether the applicant's drug use indicates habitual use, which could further indicate an inability to stop on-going use. A typical college-age weed smoker who was not a heavy user would probably receive a public trust clearance. On the other hand, any dishonesty in the application is an automatic rejection. Remember that federal agents have the right to interview anyone they like about your habits, and lying to a federal agent is a crime. They can ask your neighbors, former neighbors, friends, former friends, and ex-lovers if they want to.

If you're Cheech or Chong, probably don't apply in the first place. Otherwise, just fess up and you'll be fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”