DOJ security clearance with undocumented in-laws? Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

DOJ security clearance with undocumented in-laws?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:55 am

I really want to apply to the DOJ/USAO but am worried that I may not pass a security background check. My spouse's family overstayed their VISA and my spouse was DACA at one point. My husband's now a U.S. citizen through our marriage, but his parents are now undocumented and unlawfully present in the U.S.

Has anyone dealt with this or willing to share anecdotal stories (knowing someone who cleared or was denied a clearance). My big regret is never applying to DOJ, and I guess it'd make me feel better if I know it would be a futile endeavor. Thank you!

Anonymous User

Re: DOJ security clearance with undocumented in-laws?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:25 pm

It probably won’t affect your security clearance but your disclosure of their status through the interview process could create legal trouble for your in-laws.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:25 pm
It probably won’t affect your security clearance but your disclosure of their status through the interview process could create legal trouble for your in-laws.
And just to follow up on this, the background check will ask you to name citizens of foreign countries with whom you’re in regular contact. So while I agree that you answering honestly shouldn’t have any effect on your clearance, you would need to disclose that relationship.

That said, I have no idea if an interviewer would ask about their status here (I have a bunch of foreign contacts but they all live abroad so it wasn’t relevant) or even contact them, but obviously it could pose a risk.

FWIW, at the moment if they don’t have any serious criminal history or other security risk factors the chances of deportation proceedings are exceedingly low, at least to my knowledge. But obviously you would want to look into this more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:31 pm

It won't be futile. The clearance process is about determining your potential to use your position or access to information to harm the US / DOJ. If all you are worried about is your in-laws, that's not bad at all. In fact, it might be positive that they are in the US and not in an adversarial foreign country. However, a bigger issue may be if your husband continues to have ties with his former country via property or extended family or social relationships. This might slow down the interview process and put your application on the backburner. Also, if his foreign country is not friendly with the US, this may create issues. That being said, as long as it's only one issue, and not a combination of spousal allegiance with other issues like drug use, criminal history, serious financial issues, membership in groups attempting to overthrow the government etc., then it's definitely worth a shot (assuming you can verify that there won't be any issues if/when someone speaks to your in-laws and asks them about their immigration status).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:24 am

My SO held a TS during his military service and his parents were undocumented. According to him, the government only asked him to complete some additional paperwork and submit his parents' birth certificates. AFAIK there have been no immigration related impacts on their lives. Hope this helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”