DOJ Honors Program 2022-2023 Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2022-2023

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:43 pm

Does anyone know what day first-round offers went out for the federal programs branch? Trying to get an idea as to when alternates may hear something… but I guess I sorta doubt anyone would decline.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:32 pm

has anyone heard from TAX CIV or TAX CRIM? Either a finalist or offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:16 pm

So are they just… not giving any updates this year? Because that’s incredibly frustrating after a months long application process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:01 pm
Any movement today?
Abandon hope, all ye who unroll the spoiler.
[+] Spoiler
I didn't have finalist listed for anything as of Thanksgiving weekend. Contacted my interviewers for status updates, and they responded Saturday, Sunday, and today. Rejections across the board.

Based on that, I'm guessing finalists were actually notified before Thanksgiving week like Deana said they would be. Sorry, all.
Yeah, this is the bitter truth.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:24 pm

rashplawp wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:16 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:52 am
Movement from any USAOs?

I had multiple interviews with various ones but still shows “selected for interviews” as to all. Does that mean they either haven’t moved or, if they did, I wasn’t selected as a finalist?
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I haven't heard of any USAO movement.

If someone out there has gotten a "finalist" designation for a USAO office, can you let us know?
I was a finalist for the DC and AZ offices. I am turning down both offers, so I am hoping someone here will hear from them soon!
Thank you for the update. I didn't get the finalist nod for DC, but really appreciate you sharing the timeline. Better to know.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:16 pm
So are they just… not giving any updates this year? Because that’s incredibly frustrating after a months long application process.
I feel ya :(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:55 am

Anyone see any ATR movement?

riacangelo

New

Post by riacangelo » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:32 pm
has anyone heard from TAX CIV or TAX CRIM? Either a finalist or offer?
Tax Civ - finalist posted last Wednesday, offer the next day. Not sure about Tax Crim

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:22 pm

Deana Update

Hi, folks:

I've received a number of inquiries about online status updates. Now that the Thanksgiving holiday has passed, I'm in the process of updating online, tracking responses, and so forth. I issued a data call to hiring components this morning and am awaiting responses.

I will post more specific updates as they become available and after I send email notices to candidates who are no longer under consideration. For now, it may be helpful for you to know the following:

1. All hiring offices have identified finalists and all those identified have been updated on Avue. Remember that "finalist" includes alternates. Identification as a finalist does not guarantee an offer.

2. That doesn't mean that a component cannot reconsider and identify more.

3. The timing of offers is a matter of component discretion (following reference checks). Please remember that these attorneys often have trial dockets to manage in addition to participating on a hiring team.

OARM checks for component status updates daily. We depend on the component managers to timely enter status changes (e.g., offer issued, offer responses). Sometimes it works better than others.

We will do our very best to keep you informed.

Best of luck to all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:04 pm

I was just designated as a finalist for USAO S.D. Cal today (11/29). References were checked two weeks ago. Anyone else in the same boat or received an offer from S.D. Cal?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:36 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:52 am
Anyone got finalist for UST?
I still haven't heard anything back.
Haven't heard back, no references checked, and no finalist status.
I'm the original poster, just updating that I also still haven't heard about finalist status for UST (status is still "selected for interview"), but 2 of my references were checked around Nov. 10.
Someone posted on reddit this morning that they are a finalist for UST.
Got rejected today. "As of today, the USTP has met its HP hiring goals and will neither identify further finalists nor issue any more offers of employment."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:04 pm
I was just designated as a finalist for USAO S.D. Cal today (11/29). References were checked two weeks ago. Anyone else in the same boat or received an offer from S.D. Cal?
Do you know when exactly you were designated as a finalist? Was it after Deana's message earlier today? I am still on "selected as a finalist," and so after reading her message today ("All hiring offices have identified finalists and all those identified have been updated on Avu..."), I assumed that meant I had no chance. But if you were designated as a finalist AFTER she posted that, maybe there's hope for the rest of us stuck on "selected for interview"??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:11 pm

Has anyone heard about additional movement in the civil division? I’m a finalist (clearly an alternate at this point) for a branch in the civil division, and I’m not sure how long to hold out hope. It seems like at this point all first round offers have gone out, and folks should know whether they’re trying to decide between two offers. If a first-round offer candidate hasn’t declined by now should I give up?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:11 pm
Has anyone heard about additional movement in the civil division? I’m a finalist (clearly an alternate at this point) for a branch in the civil division, and I’m not sure how long to hold out hope. It seems like at this point all first round offers have gone out, and folks should know whether they’re trying to decide between two offers. If a first-round offer candidate hasn’t declined by now should I give up?
No:/ I'm also a "finalist" for the Torts branch. Hate riding the alternate waive. Wish they would confirm first round offers. But no news is good news I guess...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:11 pm
No:/ I'm also a "finalist" for the Torts branch. Hate riding the alternate waive. Wish they would confirm first round offers. But no news is good news I guess...
I feel you. It looks like last year, all of CIV, civil rights, ENRD, antitrust, and some others all finalized hiring within two days of each other. So if that’s any indication, it looks like maybe there’s some jostling that happens once folks who may be holding multiple offers make a decision. The waiting is really demoralizing though after the initial excitement of being designated a “finalist.” I sorta wish they just straight up told alternates they were alternates still under consideration rather than lumping alternates and folks who are actually getting first round offers into one category of “finalist.”

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:17 pm

Got rejection letter from CIV today (on avue).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:17 pm
I’m sorry. This process is brutal. Would you mind sharing which branch? It looks like Deana may not necessarily be posting branch by branch updates because I see anything about a CIV branch completing hiring. Of course, if you’d rather not say that’s completely fair. You’re clearly a strong candidate if you got this far, and I’m sure you’ll find something else fantastic!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:47 am
I was designated as a finalist for CIV-TORTS last week, but I haven’t heard anything about offers yet.
Any update? I haven't heard anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:18 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I’m sorry. This process is brutal. Would you mind sharing which branch? It looks like Deana may not necessarily be posting branch by branch updates because I see anything about a CIV branch completing hiring. Of course, if you’d rather not say that’s completely fair. You’re clearly a strong candidate if you got this far, and I’m sure you’ll find something else fantastic!
Yeah, when people say, "you're clearly a strong candidate, I'm sure you'll find something great," I never find that helpful. Especially after a rejection, when I'm most keenly aware of the fact that I wasn't good enough on whatever measurement mattered.

It also comes across as extra shallow when you do it at the same time as trying to extract information from the rejectee, presumably because you still have a chance for an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah, when people say, "you're clearly a strong candidate, I'm sure you'll find something great," I never find that helpful. Especially after a rejection, when I'm most keenly aware of the fact that I wasn't good enough on whatever measurement mattered.

It also comes across as extra shallow when you do it at the same time as trying to extract information from the rejectee, presumably because you still have a chance for an offer.
Fair enough, I’m sorry for the offense. I shoulda just left off the question.

For the record, if you were even interviewed you ARE a strong candidate. Lots of people don’t even get interviewed. I get that rejection sucks, as I’m sure everyone here knows. Getting this far does honestly feel like a hollow victory when what you really need and want is a job - I feel the same way and have gotten many rejections over the past few months, including through this honors program. But that doesn’t mean you weren’t a strong candidate or that you won’t find something else. Best of luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:50 pm

For anyone tracking, I got a rejection notice from OLA. I was not a finalist, so I’m not sure if they just notified non-finalists or if they have finished hiring.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:23 pm

Has anyone heard from ATR after being designated a finalist?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I interviewed for CONS. Thanks for the kind words though! No offense taken.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:21 pm

Did anyone interview or receive an offer from OIP? I applied, but was not selected for an interview. It’s an informal participating component, so they may or may not hire anyone. I was just curious if they do indeed have a position they’re filling. I think they filled a litigating position through USA jobs earlier this year, and I know position there don’t come up very often.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Fair enough, I’m sorry for the offense. I shoulda just left off the question.

For the record, if you were even interviewed you ARE a strong candidate. Lots of people don’t even get interviewed. I get that rejection sucks, as I’m sure everyone here knows. Getting this far does honestly feel like a hollow victory when what you really need and want is a job - I feel the same way and have gotten many rejections over the past few months, including through this honors program. But that doesn’t mean you weren’t a strong candidate or that you won’t find something else. Best of luck.
Imagine getting roasted for saying someone is a strong candidate. You're on a forum my dude, people are gonna ask you questions lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”