DOJ Honors Program 2022-2023 Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2022-2023

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:18 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:17 pm
Got rejection letter from CIV today (on avue).
I’m sorry. This process is brutal. Would you mind sharing which branch? It looks like Deana may not necessarily be posting branch by branch updates because I see anything about a CIV branch completing hiring. Of course, if you’d rather not say that’s completely fair. You’re clearly a strong candidate if you got this far, and I’m sure you’ll find something else fantastic!
Yeah, when people say, "you're clearly a strong candidate, I'm sure you'll find something great," I never find that helpful. Especially after a rejection, when I'm most keenly aware of the fact that I wasn't good enough on whatever measurement mattered.

It also comes across as extra shallow when you do it at the same time as trying to extract information from the rejectee, presumably because you still have a chance for an offer.
Fair enough, I’m sorry for the offense. I shoulda just left off the question.

For the record, if you were even interviewed you ARE a strong candidate. Lots of people don’t even get interviewed. I get that rejection sucks, as I’m sure everyone here knows. Getting this far does honestly feel like a hollow victory when what you really need and want is a job - I feel the same way and have gotten many rejections over the past few months, including through this honors program. But that doesn’t mean you weren’t a strong candidate or that you won’t find something else. Best of luck.
Different person who received a rejection email from DOJ Civil today. The email said DOJ Civil regrets to inform me that I was not identified as an honors program finalist, which does seem to mean that they are not necessarily finished hiring yet. I had interviewed with Federal Programs, but the email did not mention that, only that it was from the civil division.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:47 am
I was designated as a finalist for CIV-TORTS last week, but I haven’t heard anything about offers yet.
Any update? Still waiting here as an alternate...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:03 pm

Has anyone heard of offers going out of Civil Appellate or Civil Rights? Trying to get a feel for which offices seem to have waited until after Thanksgiving to extend offers. I know both of those offices are popular/competitive, and I haven’t heard anything since finalist designations.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:33 pm
Maybe do not despair.. Reached out to one of my components. They are still in the selection and reference check stage.
I think we tend to forget that some offices don’t send out offers until after Thanksgiving.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:18 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:17 pm
Got rejection letter from CIV today (on avue).
I’m sorry. This process is brutal. Would you mind sharing which branch? It looks like Deana may not necessarily be posting branch by branch updates because I see anything about a CIV branch completing hiring. Of course, if you’d rather not say that’s completely fair. You’re clearly a strong candidate if you got this far, and I’m sure you’ll find something else fantastic!
Yeah, when people say, "you're clearly a strong candidate, I'm sure you'll find something great," I never find that helpful. Especially after a rejection, when I'm most keenly aware of the fact that I wasn't good enough on whatever measurement mattered.

It also comes across as extra shallow when you do it at the same time as trying to extract information from the rejectee, presumably because you still have a chance for an offer.
Fair enough, I’m sorry for the offense. I shoulda just left off the question.

For the record, if you were even interviewed you ARE a strong candidate. Lots of people don’t even get interviewed. I get that rejection sucks, as I’m sure everyone here knows. Getting this far does honestly feel like a hollow victory when what you really need and want is a job - I feel the same way and have gotten many rejections over the past few months, including through this honors program. But that doesn’t mean you weren’t a strong candidate or that you won’t find something else. Best of luck.
Interviewed with CONS branch. Thanks for the kind words! No offense taken.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:42 pm

Has anyone heard from OCIJ other than the one reddit user?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:03 pm
Has anyone heard of offers going out of Civil Appellate or Civil Rights? Trying to get a feel for which offices seem to have waited until after Thanksgiving to extend offers. I know both of those offices are popular/competitive, and I haven’t heard anything since finalist designations.
I was designated a finalist for CRT but haven’t heard anything. I suspect (but don’t know) that first round offers have probably gone out by now, given that we know they checked references before designating finalists. Would love to know if anyone has heard of offers going out, though!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I was designated as a finalist for CIV-TORTS last week, but I haven’t heard anything about offers yet.
I am the OP for this. Following up to confirm I still haven’t heard back.

EDIT: Unless another torts finalist confirms otherwise, I don’t think it’s fair to assume we’re not up for first round offers until we haven’t heard back by next week—especially since a bunch of other civil finalists confirmed they haven’t heard back.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:23 pm

Does anyone know how long after receiving an informal offer you can expect to receive a formal offer package? Makes me nervous not to have anything in writing…

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

user02139

New

Post by user02139 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:32 pm

I received my written offer from ENRD immediately; granted, it is a tentative offer, but still in writing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:23 pm
Does anyone know how long after receiving an informal offer you can expect to receive a formal offer package? Makes me nervous not to have anything in writing…
I've read up to a week on previous forums. Do you mind sharing who the offer was from?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:42 pm
I got an email yesterday from them that they couldn't contact one of my references and needed me to nudge them to respond. Makes me think they haven't decided who they are making offers to yet

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:23 pm
Btw, the written letter you get is still an informal offer letter. You won't get a formal offer letter until Congress approves the budget for the next FY and you pass/have a satisfactory review on your background investigation. I didn't get my formal offer letter until a few weeks before my start date!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:05 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:03 pm
I was designated a finalist for CRT but haven’t heard anything. I suspect (but don’t know) that first round offers have probably gone out by now, given that we know they checked references before designating finalists. Would love to know if anyone has heard of offers going out, though!
It’s so hard not knowing office’s hiring timelines! I think I’ve seen some people on here earlier in the thread say that Civil Rights told them they would hear back in early December. But that would seem to contradict them doing reference checks before designating finalists. Does anyone know which offices wait to contact references until after designating finalists? I’m trying to (maybe pathetically) think about whether there’s anyone out there who is still trying to decide between two offers and whether as a finalist/alternate I still have a chance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:23 pm
Has anyone heard from ATR after being designated a finalist?
I’m also curious about this!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:42 pm
Yes, I received an offer from OCIJ on November 22. But based on the Avue community forum from prior years, it looks like OCIJ offers can take a while. I also heard from a former OCIJ clerk from a few years ago that she received an offer in February.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:29 pm

Any news out of FP this week? It sounds like first round offers went out approximately two weeks ago, so that window to accept may be closing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Any update? Still waiting here as an alternate...

No update on my end (I’m the OP), but I don’t think we can assume we’re alternates just yet when a bunch of other Civil finalists said they haven’t heard back either. Until another torts finalist confirms they received an offer or OARM forwards a “we regret” email, I think it’s best to stay hopeful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:40 pm

I’m wondering whether individual branches in the civil division will issue regrets messages to finalists who were not selected or if that message won’t come until every branch in the civil division has finished hiring (which feels needlessly drawn out). It sounds like the branch I’m waiting on sent out first round offers the week before Thanksgiving. At least the initial two week offer period has closed, and I’m expecting a rejection at this point. But I still haven’t heard anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:40 pm
I’m wondering whether individual branches in the civil division will issue regrets messages to finalists who were not selected or if that message won’t come until every branch in the civil division has finished hiring (which feels needlessly drawn out). It sounds like the branch I’m waiting on sent out first round offers the week before Thanksgiving. At least the initial two week offer period has closed, and I’m expecting a rejection at this point. But I still haven’t heard anything.
Last year you only received a regrets message once all civil division components were done hiring. With that being said, most people I know involved in hiring wouldn’t care if you sent a check in email to ask about your status.

I do think by now all first round offers would have gone out, but that’s just speculation based on my branch and last year’s process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:56 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Last year you only received a regrets message once all civil division components were done hiring. With that being said, most people I know involved in hiring wouldn’t care if you sent a check in email to ask about your status.

I do think by now all first round offers would have gone out, but that’s just speculation based on my branch and last year’s process.
Given that next to no-one has posted regarding offers, I'm inclined to disagree. But what do I know, maybe people just aren't posting updates.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This is why I’m not really a fan of the finalist designation step. It’s an accomplishment to make it that far, and alternates should be proud of themselves as a lot of people don’t make it that far. But it’s really, really disheartening to have real excitement after the initial finalist designation, wait by the phone, and then have nobody call and no updates. I think it’d be better if they (1) just affirmatively told alternates they’re alternates, kinda like a waitlist at a college, or (2) said nothing at all until offers are out and then make it standard to give timely branch by branch updates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Given that next to no-one has posted regarding offers, I'm inclined to disagree. But what do I know, maybe people just aren't posting updates.
I think folks just aren’t on the forums or aren’t posting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I know at least my branch gave offers the week before thanksgiving so I would be shocked if other branches were far behind (considering that in civil we often interview the same candidates).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I know at least my branch gave offers the week before thanksgiving so I would be shocked if other branches were far behind (considering that in civil we often interview the same candidates).
Do you know where in the process your branch is now? (I.e. still waiting to hear back from folks on accepting/declining, heard back from everyone, etc.). Feel free to totally ignore this question if you don’t feel okay sharing; I get that you may not want to share too much about the internal hiring process, and that makes sense.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”