DOJ Honors Program 2022-2023 Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2022-2023

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:15 pm
if we dont hear back today, are we for sure out of the running? is today a hard deadline or can components still offer within the next few weeks?
wondering the same!!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:57 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:32 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:38 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:18 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:03 pm
Any updates on CRT?
Heard nothing from CRT yet, not even sure my references were checked? Were yours?
Radio silence here, no indication my references were checked. But someone on this thread said they had theirs checked for CRT, but never responded when someone asked when
I'm the one who posted about my references being checked by CRT (sorry for the delay). They were checked a few days after my interview. Radio silence here too.
Dang, guess that means I’m out then—no reference check here. Mind sharing stats?
For the person who's references were checked, did you get a finalist status update?
This thread is kind of messy—it looks like some replies got posted later but are organized chronologically still—but someone above said CRT finalists are posted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:51 pm
Anyone heard anything about Fed Programs offers?
Some have gone out
Damn, well that’s super disappointing. But congrats to those who got offers!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:31 pm

Does anyone know if CRT offers went out on Friday? I know that finalists were designated late in the day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:19 am

For those of you who review this forum in the future looking for advice, I guess I’d suggest nailing your interview. Think of almost every possible question you could be asked, prepare your answer, think of any questions that your answer might inspire, and then game out an answer to that, too.

I don’t think stats have much to do with it. I interviewed with a component that I previously interned with, and had a related internship at a respected USAO. I also have the gold stars that tend to get you looked at, e.g., COA/DCT clerkships. My references at the USAO and the component’s section were great, and the judges I worked for were happy to go to bat. But I stumbled on a couple of answers to substantive questions (that had not been asked with enough regularity before for my school to register them as potential questions) I wasn’t expecting and none of my references were called. Plainly, it doesn’t matter how good you are if no one calls them because you fumbled during your 30 minute shot.

Also, for Crim, it seems like reference checks are a prerequisite for finalist designations. If your references aren’t called, probably safe to assume that you’ve not been picked.

Finally, I’d apply to less competitive components.

I hope this helps someone and congratulations to those with offers!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:14 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:57 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:32 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:38 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:18 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:03 pm
Any updates on CRT?
Heard nothing from CRT yet, not even sure my references were checked? Were yours?
Radio silence here, no indication my references were checked. But someone on this thread said they had theirs checked for CRT, but never responded when someone asked when
I'm the one who posted about my references being checked by CRT (sorry for the delay). They were checked a few days after my interview. Radio silence here too.
Dang, guess that means I’m out then—no reference check here. Mind sharing stats?
For the person who's references were checked, did you get a finalist status update?
This thread is kind of messy—it looks like some replies got posted later but are organized chronologically still—but someone above said CRT finalists are posted.
Replies from new users have to be manually approved by a moderator (anti-spam tactic). So those responses may show after they were posted by a day or so.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:44 am

As a past applicant, I very much understand the anxiety of waiting for an offer after being designated a finalist. I wanted to share a few observations to help calm some nerves:
1. My component designated finalists and then waited a week or so to contact those with offers (this was true for the class before me as well).
2. All finalists were designated by the day required, but it seems like Deanna isn’t posting as regularly so maybe this is an issue this year.
3. I know people who were alternates who got offers in December. You’re not any less of an amazing applicant because you’re an alternate.

More generally, this process is really hard. For future applicants reading, once you get to the interview, I don’t think your stats/gold stars/etc matter. You really need to prepare for so many different scenarios and talk to past applicants for your specific component to get a feel for those interviews. Finally, this job is the best job I’ve ever had so even if you don’t get in through honors, keep at it, it’s worth it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:55 am

Also past applicant that was successful in getting hired. The traditional law school gold stars are NOT always DOJ gold stars.

I can't go into specifics on my stats without doxxing myself really bad, but I was not a traditionally stellar candidate (no LR, no clerkships, good but not great school). I landed my job mostly because I knew I wanted to work at my very specific DOJ litigating component early on in law school and tailored my law school experiences to that. Commitment to public service and demonstrable interest in the component goes a long way with this process. I'd be comfortable saying that commitment to public service is probably the biggest gold star you can have and it'll easily outweigh LR participation (maybe not clerkships depending on component).

I would encourage the new hires (congrats btw, I'm looking forward to meeting some of you next year), especially current 3Ls, to really try and help the 1Ls and 2Ls in your school with advice on the process. Tell them the things the SLIP/Honors apps ask for, give them interview advice, etc. You'll be doing your potential future colleague a huge service if you do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:55 am
Also past applicant that was successful in getting hired. The traditional law school gold stars are NOT always DOJ gold stars.

I can't go into specifics on my stats without doxxing myself really bad, but I was not a traditionally stellar candidate (no LR, no clerkships, good but not great school). I landed my job mostly because I knew I wanted to work at my very specific DOJ litigating component early on in law school and tailored my law school experiences to that. Commitment to public service and demonstrable interest in the component goes a long way with this process. I'd be comfortable saying that commitment to public service is probably the biggest gold star you can have and it'll easily outweigh LR participation (maybe not clerkships depending on component).

I would encourage the new hires (congrats btw, I'm looking forward to meeting some of you next year), especially current 3Ls, to really try and help the 1Ls and 2Ls in your school with advice on the process. Tell them the things the SLIP/Honors apps ask for, give them interview advice, etc. You'll be doing your potential future colleague a huge service if you do.
Hi! Thank you so much for the advice!

Have you ever heard of a year when finalists aren't posted by the deadline? I've only heard of a few components posting finalists this year and a lot of people who interviewed from other components haven't heard anything or seen any posts about finalists being posted in their component. I want to know already so I can give up hope and move on. Thanks!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Have you ever heard of a year when finalists aren't posted by the deadline? I've only heard of a few components posting finalists this year and a lot of people who interviewed from other components haven't heard anything or seen any posts about finalists being posted in their component. I want to know already so I can give up hope and move on. Thanks!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:44 pm

Anybody heard anything from NSD?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

I was only hired last cycle so no personal experience on that end, sorry! That said, from my research during my application cycle, it seemed like different components have different deadlines to submit finalist designations to OARM and then OARM does a quick eligibility check and releases finalists. The delay could be on the component or OARM side, hard to say.

I'd say you have a chance until you get the email from Deana saying that all hiring is complete. Only a handful of people even get to the interview stage and all it takes is a few people to take themselves out of commission to mix things up. Basically, you're in the running until you are explicitly told you're out (DOJ won't ghost you).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Past applicant who got hired, and I agree with this, especially the more specialized the component is. This doesn't mean you can't have private sector experience, I worked for a firm 2L year, but you need to be able to have some way to show that commitment to public service. (I do think clerking is really important for most components, though.) I think one issue is that a lot of applicants tend to see the Honors program as a way into "the federal government" as one big umbrella entity, but the different components all have very specific (and different) missions, and you need to be able to connect to that mission to be successful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:51 pm
Anyone heard anything about Fed Programs offers?
Some have gone out
Any idea whether they’ve all gone out? My guess is yes since it’s only 6 people. But trying not to feel hopeless here...
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:12 pm

‘Mornin folks. Anyone have any news?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:12 pm
Nope, I'm waiting on ENRD and haven't seen a single person say they got finalist in any forum.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:57 pm

Any word on finalist designations from Crim Tax? I haven’t seen that anyone has heard back, only civil.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:04 pm

Any word on ATR?

I've only seen one offer go out from them but am assuming there have been more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:41 pm

Does anyone have any idea how many alternates different offices designate as finalists? I’m pretty sure I’m an alternate, and if I’m far down the list of alternates with no real chance, I feel like I’d rather just know that. It’s a little frustrating that there isn’t more info, but I know everyone is in the same boat.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:46 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:12 pm
Nope, I'm waiting on ENRD and haven't seen a single person say they got finalist in any forum.
ENRD finalists were designated Friday afternoon, I believe. I checked yesterday and my Avue said Finalist. I haven't heard anything about offer calls going out for ENRD, though, so if anyone has updates on that, they would be greatly appreciated!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:44 pm
Anybody heard anything from NSD?
I was designated a finalist by at least last Wednesday (11/16). I hadn't checked my status before that, so I'm not sure when I was actually designated a finalist. Still no offer though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:33 pm

Has anyone heard from Civ-Comm? And which section?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:41 pm
Does anyone have any idea how many alternates different offices designate as finalists? I’m pretty sure I’m an alternate, and if I’m far down the list of alternates with no real chance, I feel like I’d rather just know that. It’s a little frustrating that there isn’t more info, but I know everyone is in the same boat.
The branch I work for designates double the amount of finalists as available spots, but it’s a smaller shop so it’s not like we are hiring a lot of people each year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:07 pm

Has anyone heard of CRT offers going out? I'm beginning to lose hope.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”