Can I be an ADA/Local Prosecutor if I smoked weed once? Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
ehrhdalfk

New

Can I be an ADA/Local Prosecutor if I smoked weed once?

Post by ehrhdalfk » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:11 pm

Can I become an ADA/Local prosecutor if I smoked weed once during college?
I wasn't caught or anything, but I would rather be honest.
I'm guessing each jurisdiction has its own rules, but curious what it's like out there.

Anonymous User

Re: Can I be an ADA/Local Prosecutor if I smoked weed once?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:35 am

I don't think anyone can tell you much besides it depends on the jurisdiction/office? I imagine some may not ask, especially if the state has legalized it.

ehrhdalfk

New

Post by ehrhdalfk » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:26 am

You're right. I was hoping this could be a place where local ADAs can chip in and give an insight into what it's like in their jurisdiction. I suspect legal states won't even ask, but I'm curious what decriminalized states like Ohio do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:20 pm

So you want to put people in jail for a living but are scared of the collateral consequences of breaking an unjust law?

ehrhdalfk

New

Post by ehrhdalfk » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:20 pm
So you want to put people in jail for a living but are scared of the collateral consequences of breaking an unjust law?
I mean, yeah. Isn't it also good for the public if prosecutors understand people can grow up and change?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barrred

Bronze

Post by Barrred » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:57 pm

Yes.

JorgeMichael

New

Post by JorgeMichael » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Brave anon use right here.

Also OP, idk what it's like at the local level but if you disclose drug use at the federal level you're unlikely to get the position. Wouldn't be all that surprised it it's similar for some local jurisdictions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:47 pm

JorgeMichael wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Also OP, idk what it's like at the local level but if you disclose drug use at the federal level you're unlikely to get the position. Wouldn't be all that surprised it it's similar for some local jurisdictions.
I’m a federal prosecutor. You’re not going to get disqualified for smoking weed once in college.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Asking if those consequences exist isn’t the same as being scared of them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ehrhdalfk

New

Post by ehrhdalfk » Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:47 pm
JorgeMichael wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I’m a federal prosecutor. You’re not going to get disqualified for smoking weed once in college.
That's what I heard for Feds when I was filing SF86 for the military. I figured local government is probably less strict than the federal level especially if the state decriminalized it, but I wasn't too sure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:55 pm

ehrhdalfk wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:46 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
JorgeMichael wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's what I heard for Feds when I was filing SF86 for the military. I figured local government is probably less strict than the federal level especially if the state decriminalized it, but I wasn't too sure.
That makes sense, but it's related to how frequently you smoked and how long it's been since you last did. If you're talking about a post-law school job, smoking once in college is almost certainly too long ago to matter (they care primarily about use during law school or post-bar, or regular use). Also if military is JAG, I've heard they have more of a no-tolerance policy.

All that said, no idea what the policy is for ADAs in decriminalized states (sorry!).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:55 pm
That makes sense, but it's related to how frequently you smoked and how long it's been since you last did. If you're talking about a post-law school job, smoking once in college is almost certainly too long ago to matter (they care primarily about use during law school or post-bar, or regular use). Also if military is JAG, I've heard they have more of a no-tolerance policy.

All that said, no idea what the policy is for ADAs in decriminalized states (sorry!).
In my experience, there is a lot of unfounded fear-mongering about past drug use. Maybe a decade ago any past drug use would be a deal-breaker at a lot of agencies, but that's really not the case anymore, at least with regard to marijuana.

Re JAG, that's false. If its been more than 7 years, you don't even have to report it on your SF-86 and they'll never find out.

ehrhdalfk

New

Post by ehrhdalfk » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:55 pm
ehrhdalfk wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:46 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
JorgeMichael wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you so much for your insight!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:15 pm

nyc da here, you don't have to disclose (at least not from what I remember), it's much less stringent than federal

ehrhdalfk

New

Post by ehrhdalfk » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:15 pm
nyc da here, you don't have to disclose (at least not from what I remember), it's much less stringent than federal
Thank you so much for your input! That's great to know.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”