State Government Interviews Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

State Government Interviews

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:48 pm

Current associate at a V100 with an interview with a state agency coming up. I’ve only ever had interviews for legal intern/SA positions at firms. I generally do well at interviews but curious to hear from those who have had both experiences whether and how government interviews differ from firm interviews and if there are any things specific to government positions that I should keep in mind as I’m prepping.

Anonymous User

Re: State Government Interviews

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:58 pm

This is pretty self evident, but the big things I’d avoid are talking about the pay cut or looking for better hours. General public sector dedication is good, I think big reasons to go to local government are interest in working on matters that really affect the local community. Maybe less hierarchy/more involvement in a matter from top to bottom, depending on the stage agency and role.

Anonymous User

Re: State Government Interviews

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:48 pm
Current associate at a V100 with an interview with a state agency coming up. I’ve only ever had interviews for legal intern/SA positions at firms. I generally do well at interviews but curious to hear from those who have had both experiences whether and how government interviews differ from firm interviews and if there are any things specific to government positions that I should keep in mind as I’m prepping.
Most government interviews have wanted to know why I am interested in public interest work. I have also had to explain why I was switching from private practice to public interest. They just want to see that you are committed to their cause and to public interest work.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”