Is clerking becoming a necessity for DOJ and non-DOJ Honors Programs? Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Is clerking becoming a necessity for DOJ and non-DOJ Honors Programs?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:31 am

It seems to me that everyone I know who has received offers for different HPs has clerked. Is this almost a new pseudo-requirement?

Anonymous User

Re: Is clerking becoming a necessity for DOJ and non-DOJ Honors Programs?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:46 pm

Same here. Everyone I know is extremely impressive in other ways too— excellent grades, clerkship, sometimes another degree (PhD or Masters) or pre-law school work experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:51 pm

I don’t think this is really new. I went through the honors program about 8 years ago and clerks dominated then as well. While government hiring can be really black box/holistic (especially DOJ), there’s also a pretty strong tradition in the government of using rubrics/checklists and giving points for having certain qualifications. Clerking is another thing that can add points. But it also tends to be associated with/signal other excellent qualifications as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:51 pm
I don’t think this is really new. I went through the honors program about 8 years ago and clerks dominated then as well. While government hiring can be really black box/holistic (especially DOJ), there’s also a pretty strong tradition in the government of using rubrics/checklists and giving points for having certain qualifications. Clerking is another thing that can add points. But it also tends to be associated with/signal other excellent qualifications as well.
That makes sense to me that clerks would have a leg up. But I’m wondering if it’s like that for all DOJ divisions (maybe not EOIR) or non-DOJ honors programs as well. I’d also love to hear from anyone who was a 3L when they got an honors offer and what their resume looked like.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:56 pm

Anecdotally, I know two people starting at DOJ CRT in the fall and they both have COA clerkships/COA level credentials. I know one person starting at DOJ Tax and they also have a COA clerkship. I would guess this fall was particularly competitive one in terms of numbers given the administration change.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:26 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:51 pm
That makes sense to me that clerks would have a leg up. But I’m wondering if it’s like that for all DOJ divisions (maybe not EOIR) or non-DOJ honors programs as well. I’d also love to hear from anyone who was a 3L when they got an honors offer and what their resume looked like.
I think maybe OCIJ is less clerk-heavy (even though they’re essentially clerkships) because a lot of the positions are in less commonly desired places to live, they’re temporary, and they tend to weight immigration experience/interest heavily. But other EOIR positions are more like any other DOJ positions. Maybe BOP is a little less clerky? But that’s speculation.

I think non-DOJ programs tend to hire a lot of clerks because they’re even more wedded to the “tick off the qualifications on a list” hiring model than DOJ is. (Not saying they necessarily hire more clerks than DOJ, just that I don’t think they hire fewer of them.)

I don’t think I’ve come across a 3L who’s actually got an honors position except in OCIJ. But obviously that’s completely anecdotal.

(Oh wait, I lied - HUD hires 3Ls. They have - or had at least - a weird thing where you couldn’t even apply if you had passed the bar somewhere?)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:36 pm

I'm a 3L DOJ Honors hire in a non-EOIR component (one of the criminal sections but not necessarily Crim). I can't go too much into specifics because my resume is very distinct, but I had a unique military background + demonstrated and easily verifiable interest in my offered component. I tried the clerkship game and was told I was competitive for flyover districts but that was about it. I know of another 3L hire in my component as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:07 pm

I got interviews pre-clerkship, so they will at least look at you. I had top 10% from T-14 and strong military record, though. I never made it to the interviews because I picked up a district court clerkship in between, so I can't say if I would have made the final cut or not. I did get hired for a prosecuting component after my clerkship, but I can't say what the outcome would have been without it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”