Best State AG Offices? Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Best State AG Offices?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:35 pm

Billing away here on NYE and musing over the (highly unrealistic) idea that I’ll someday give up the $ and prestige of Biglaw and enter the public sector. Anyone have input on what AG offices are the best with “best” being defined as (1) interesting work, (2) halfway decent pay, and (3) exit options? Just curious, and there seems to be little info on this.

Anonymous User

Re: Best State AG Offices?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:40 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by interesting, and cannot speak to (2) or (3), but the NJ, NY, CA, PA, and MD AGs seem to consistently bring a lot of the cutting edge public interest lawsuits.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:40 pm
I'm not sure what you mean by interesting, and cannot speak to (2) or (3), but the NJ, NY, CA, PA, and MD AGs seem to consistently bring a lot of the cutting edge public interest lawsuits.
OP here. That’s a good example of what I mean by interesting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:40 pm
Do you have more insight into PA?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:59 pm

Virginia did great work under Herring, but that'll likely flip under the new AG. Of course, if you just want to sue the government and sign onto big litigation, VA is still viable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:59 pm
Virginia did great work under Herring, but that'll likely flip under the new AG. Of course, if you just want to sue the government and sign onto big litigation, VA is still viable.
Interesting. I don’t really care about suing the Gov—I mean, I don’t have anything against it, but it’s not inherently attractive to me—so that’s not necessarily make or break. Anyone know anything about IL, particularly the Chicago office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Interesting. I don’t really care about suing the Gov—I mean, I don’t have anything against it, but it’s not inherently attractive to me—so that’s not necessarily make or break. Anyone know anything about IL, particularly the Chicago office?
OP here. Giving this a gentle nudge for good measure, but if no one has insight I’ll just go about my (billable) business.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:21 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP here. Giving this a gentle nudge for good measure, but if no one has insight I’ll just go about my (billable) business.
I summered there 1L but not in the most interesting office. Chicago office is most of the attorneys. Seemed like a decent place to work? I can't really speak to interesting work bc of the office I was in. Very laid back, weird building (which the govt keeps saying they'll sell but don't). I think typical salary about 80-90 but it's public information so you can check it up. Any specific questions?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I summered there 1L but not in the most interesting office. Chicago office is most of the attorneys. Seemed like a decent place to work? I can't really speak to interesting work bc of the office I was in. Very laid back, weird building (which the govt keeps saying they'll sell but don't). I think typical salary about 80-90 but it's public information so you can check it up. Any specific questions?
Hey, thanks for the reply! I guess my main question would be to what extent there’s room to move up the ranks (totally understandable if your summer there didn’t give you insight into this). Not to disparage the important role AAGs play (I’m being serious, not poking fun), but it’d be hard for me to leave Biglaw and then just go into a chill 9-5 without having my sights set on advancement. So, I guess my question is what kind of career paths the higher ranking deputy AGs, unit directors, etc. in the office had.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Hey, thanks for the reply! I guess my main question would be to what extent there’s room to move up the ranks (totally understandable if your summer there didn’t give you insight into this). Not to disparage the important role AAGs play (I’m being serious, not poking fun), but it’d be hard for me to leave Biglaw and then just go into a chill 9-5 without having my sights set on advancement. So, I guess my question is what kind of career paths the higher ranking deputy AGs, unit directors, etc. in the office had.
I think it's a strong possibility if that's your aim. A lot of the AAGs I worked with were comfortable where they were and not trying to advance (eg parents happy to work 35 hrs, I think one even worked 8-3 or something). But there were a few more ambitious types who advanced to unit director type positions (obviously restricted by there being openings to advance to). The very highest levels had impressive backgrounds and or were politically appointed iirc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I think it's a strong possibility if that's your aim. A lot of the AAGs I worked with were comfortable where they were and not trying to advance (eg parents happy to work 35 hrs, I think one even worked 8-3 or something). But there were a few more ambitious types who advanced to unit director type positions (obviously restricted by there being openings to advance to). The very highest levels had impressive backgrounds and or were politically appointed iirc.
Thanks, this is very helpful. Did anyone by chance mention leaving Biglaw for the office? If so, were they generally happy with their decision?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”