Exit Options for EJW/JC/Skadden Fellows? Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Exit Options for EJW/JC/Skadden Fellows?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:33 pm

Curious to hear what kind of exit options these fellows have. Is biglaw or gov’t work available for these fellows? I would think biglaw no because of the public interest history that one often has to have to obtain one of these fellowships. Gov’t work seems more likely, but do they give a bump in terms of fed jobs? (e.g., honors program)

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Re: Exit Options for EJW/JC/Skadden Fellows?

Post by Anon-non-anon » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:43 am

I suspect if you were qualified enough to get one of these fellowships, some big law firm would scoop you up, especially in the current market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:57 pm

Anon-non-anon wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:43 am
I suspect if you were qualified enough to get one of these fellowships, some big law firm would scoop you up, especially in the current market.
OP here, what are your thoughts re: if there is a bump for fed positions? (e.g., USAO or Main Justice)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:58 pm

Agree that most people who get these fellowships could go into big law if they wanted to. I would think the fellowships are a boost for most exit paths, just because of how prestigious they are (especially Skadden). This is anecdotal, but I’m pretty sure most people in these fellowships stay in public interest afterwards, either at the same org or a new one. Some of them also clerk for a judge for a year or two after the fellowship before going back to PI. I don’t think this because they *can’t* get big law or government jobs, they just aren’t interested.

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Post by Anon-non-anon » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:57 pm
Anon-non-anon wrote:
OP here, what are your thoughts re: if there is a bump for fed positions? (e.g., USAO or Main Justice)
No idea other than prestige bump but make sure they don't disqualify you for honors program. If that's your goal, probably clerking-->honors program is the easier path (and if you qualify for skadden fellowship, a reasonably achievable one)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:05 am

Anon-non-anon wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:57 pm
Anon-non-anon wrote:
No idea other than prestige bump but make sure they don't disqualify you for honors program. If that's your goal, probably clerking-->honors program is the easier path (and if you qualify for skadden fellowship, a reasonably achievable one)
Thank you so much! A reasonable chance was better than I hoped for, since I am a Skadden Fellow. Looks like we will just see what Main Justice does and where I am going to be when that time comes. The reason I asked is because I am not sure if being a lifer at Main Justice or the USAO (presuming I was able to get in) would be a wise idea due to the desire to start a family (bills and all of the expenses that come with raising children).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:36 pm

Obligatory reminder that lots of people raise families on salaries much lower than what you get in Main Justice (USAO salaries are lower but there are still markets where they’re more than competitive with other good law jobs. Obviously not in major metros with a strong biglaw presence, of course.) I get that kids are expensive and everyone wants to give their kids the best of everything, but a biglaw salary isn’t necessary to give kids a good life.

But more to the original question, depending what position you get in Main Justice, you’d probably be able to pivot to biglaw. The trick is to stay in the government long enough to have enough experience and connections that places are interested in you as a partner, or to leave early enough that you can slot in as an associate still. I think middle ground can be tough because you’re too experienced to be a entry level associate, but not experienced enough in the private sector to be a viable senior associate. Though that’s just an anon hot take, others may have better perspectives. And again, it would depend on what kind of work you do for the the government and how directly it transfers (and, of course, what you’re doing in the fellowship. To pick an obvious example, if you’re researching prison reform, especially from certain angles, you may not be a good fit for USAO/Crim, that kind of thing.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”