DOJ SLIP 2021-22 Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

DOJ SLIP 2021-22

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:01 pm

Figured I'd start this up since the other thread seems to be just HP. Anyone know if all the Civil branches extend interview invites at the same time?

bnp2676

New

Re: DOJ SLIP 2021-22

Post by bnp2676 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:29 am

I can speak to my 2021 DOJ SLIP experience in hopes of encouraging others to give it a shot. I thought I had no shot because of a couple things: I am at a TTTT Law School, I started Law school in the Spring and am thus still a 1L, and I applied literally the last hour of the last day. LIterally none of those things mattered. I got 4 interviews the first week: DOJ-Antitrust, Civil-National Courts, BOP, and PRAO. I got very strong yes vibes from DOJ-ATR and PRAO right away. I got an offer for DOJ-ATR Chicago this week. I declined to interview with BOP because I already had an offer. I'm interviewing with Civil just in case something happens to my DOJ-ATR offer.

Here's what was important to them:

Work History: We talked substantially about my experience. I have both Military and Federal Law Enforcement Experience and that was the main selling point for them. Whatever you have sell your work history because it seems very important.

Legal Writing: This was big. Whatever legal writing experience you have, sell it. I have a very good relationship with my legal writing professor and she was my first reference and she helped me immensely with her reference. However, my "cover letter" aka my why DOJ and my writing sample were huge for them.

Why you want to join DOJ: They do not want Big Law reference builders. I was asked repeatedly what my career plans are and why I want to join DOJ. As someone with an LE and Military background I had what I think were compelling answers. I wrote very passionately in my cover letter on why justice and law enforcement was important to me and it came up multiple times in interviews. Even if that doesn't come as authentically to you have a good answer to it.

Grades: If you are getting interviews you have outstanding grades but they will ask you about your classes. These are standard law interview questions.

Here's what no one seemed to care about:

Where you went to school. I was interviewed by T14 lawyers and TTT lawyers. No one seemed to be concerned that I wasn't at a great law school.

My school involvement. Sorry guys, no one cares about your clubs unless they are academic. My work with the legal writing center was the only thing they cared about.

That you really understand their practice area. The assumption was that you want to join DOJ because of an interest in public service but you aren't really narrowed in yet as a 1L/2L. Most really explained their practice area to you and didn't grill you on the specifics of the job.

Final Notes:

They really like when you ask questions. Almost every interview was with a career DOJ litigator. They love their jobs and really want to explain them to you. Passion and personality are key. You are going to work for the person interviewing you. Do they want to work with a dead fish or a competitive psycho every day? No. So be a normal person in interviews and let your personality shine through and you will be fine.

My Decision:

Unless for some crazy reason my ATR-Chicago offer is rescinded, I will being taking that slot. They were my number one choice, I was their number one choice and they really pushed DOJ to get me my offer quickly. I love the practice area, and the people I interviewed with were amazing. That said I would have been outstandingly happy with any SLIP job I was considered for. They all sound incredible and I everyone I've worked with so far has been great. Point being, apply for SLIP. Sell yourself. Take the offer.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”