Honors Attorney Program 2021-2022 (non-DOJ) Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Honors Attorney Program 2021-2022 (non-DOJ)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:08 pm
After the strange notice from DOL about reopening its application, I reached out to my interviewer this week to ask why it was reopened. She very politely told me I was not designated a finalist. Best of luck to those in the running but thought I would post this update unless anyone else wants to check in with their interviewer.

I'm sorry to hear that. I assume that was the Office of the Solicitor?

Also, when were you informed of this status change?
Yes Office of the Solicitor. I was informed a day after emailing my interview (this past Tuesday) with my question about the reopening of the app. She responded to my email to let me know I wasn’t a finalist!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:13 am

So I made it to the finalist round last year for NSA.

NSA does reference checks prior to offering a second interview. At least that's what they did last year.

Interviewed with NSA for first round on 10/25. They told me second round would take place mid nov. haven't heard anything back yet.
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:36 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:15 pm
kyetej96 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:29 pm
I've been "referred" for both the IRS and NOAA for about a month now -- anyone know what's up? Also curious if people have gotten second interviews for the NSA yet? I had an interview with them about a month ago, so just wondering where they are in the process.
A friend interviewed with NSA about a month ago and told me today that NSA reached out to his references either yesterday or today.

I interviewed for IRS Honors almost 2 weeks ago. IIRC they were doing all their interviews the last two weeks of October. However, IRS Honors (non-tax) is doing interviews this week and next.

Did your friend have a second round interview with NSA?

Also was your interview with the IRS your first or second? Thanks for your help!
So, I had an OCI interview with IRS back in late July. Then I sat in received status on USAjobs until October 18. Then October 19 IRS called to schedule an interview. Tbh, I don't really think the first interview meant anything. I understand there to be only one interview that results from being referred and then managers select candidates to interview. Because all the IRS divisions at OGC pick from the same pool, you can get multiple interviews from the IRS. I was told specifically that once the interviews were done by the end of October that division would then get together to vote on who to extend offers. That said, I do not know if all the divisions at OGC are operating on the same schedule.

As far as NSA goes, I think my friend had just one interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:13 am

NSA does reference checks prior to offering a second interview. At least that's what they did last year.

Interviewed with NSA for first round on 10/25. They told me second round would take place mid nov. haven't heard anything back yet.

Can confirm this. Friend just told me NSA pushed him through to a second interview. And they checked his references earlier this week.
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
kyetej96 wrote:
I've been "referred" for both the IRS and NOAA for about a month now -- anyone know what's up? Also curious if people have gotten second interviews for the NSA yet? I had an interview with them about a month ago, so just wondering where they are in the process.
A friend interviewed with NSA about a month ago and told me today that NSA reached out to his references either yesterday or today.

I interviewed for IRS Honors almost 2 weeks ago. IIRC they were doing all their interviews the last two weeks of October. However, IRS Honors (non-tax) is doing interviews this week and next.

Also was your interview with the IRS your first or second? Thanks for your help!
So, I had an OCI interview with IRS back in late July. Then I sat in received status on USAjobs until October 18. Then October 19 IRS called to schedule an interview. Tbh, I don't really think the first interview meant anything. I understand there to be only one interview that results from being referred and then managers select candidates to interview. Because all the IRS divisions at OGC pick from the same pool, you can get multiple interviews from the IRS. I was told specifically that once the interviews were done by the end of October that division would then get together to vote on who to extend offers. That said, I do not know if all the divisions at OGC are operating on the same schedule.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:37 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
kyetej96 wrote:

ChaosAgent

New

Post by ChaosAgent » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:37 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:08 pm
After the strange notice from DOL about reopening its application, I reached out to my interviewer this week to ask why it was reopened. She very politely told me I was not designated a finalist. Best of luck to those in the running but thought I would post this update unless anyone else wants to check in with their interviewer.

I'm sorry to hear that. I assume that was the Office of the Solicitor?

Also, when were you informed of this status change?
Yes Office of the Solicitor. I was informed a day after emailing my interview (this past Tuesday) with my question about the reopening of the app. She responded to my email to let me know I wasn’t a finalist!
Sorry. I haven't emailed my contact there since I saw it up a few weeks ago and was told I didn't need to reapply bc I was already in the pool. I hate that they don't update usajobs for status, so I either have to do what you did or live in ignorance instead and still live like I have a chance

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:34 pm

Has anyone gotten a request for a third round interview with the DOT? I got one today, but I thought they only did two rounds. Thank you in advance for anyone who replies!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:34 pm
Has anyone gotten a request for a third round interview with the DOT? I got one today, but I thought they only did two rounds. Thank you in advance for anyone who replies!
I haven't yet, but my first second-round interviewer told me there would only be two rounds but that someone higher up (forgot the person's title) used to review each of the second-round interviewee's entire application package before signing off on the selected candidates but she wasn't sure how it would look this year with a new person in that position, and my second second-round interviewer told me there would be a final round. Maybe the third round is something new that the new leadership decided on?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:41 pm

Received an email from DOL today that my application was under “active consideration” and asking me to rank offices. Interviewed about a month ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:41 pm
Received an email from DOL today that my application was under “active consideration” and asking me to rank offices. Interviewed about a month ago.

Was this for Office of the Solicitor Honors Program? What offices were they asking you to rank?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:06 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Was this for Office of the Solicitor Honors Program? What offices were they asking you to rank?
Yes! Offices to rank are:
Washington, DC National Office

Boston Regional Office

Chicago Regional Office

Dallas Regional Office

Western Region: Los Angeles, Seattle, or San Francisco

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:11 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Boston Regional Office

Chicago Regional Office

Dallas Regional Office

Did the email come from DOL or USA staffing?

Also, congratulations!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:48 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Boston Regional Office

Chicago Regional Office

Dallas Regional Office

Also, congratulations!
PS. I am assuming you told the interviewers you were willing to relocate bc that's quite a spread.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:51 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Boston Regional Office

Chicago Regional Office

Dallas Regional Office

Also, congratulations!
PS. I am assuming you told the interviewers you were willing to relocate bc that's quite a spread.
It came from DOL directly! And no, I was always clear about to location constraints - I assume everyone just has to rank them again now haha

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:14 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Boston Regional Office

Chicago Regional Office

Dallas Regional Office

Also, congratulations!
It came from DOL directly! And no, I was always clear about to location constraints - I assume everyone just has to rank them again now haha
Cool. My panel said they were recommending me to the National Office. That was the last I heard from them.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:16 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Boston Regional Office

Chicago Regional Office

Dallas Regional Office

Also, congratulations!
Cool. My panel said they were recommending me to the National Office. That was the last I heard from them.

Good luck!
One more quick question—sorry!—what type of questions did they ask you during your interview? Typical fed govt questions or more about you personally?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:18 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Boston Regional Office

Chicago Regional Office

Dallas Regional Office

Also, congratulations!

Good luck!
One more quick question—sorry!—what type of questions did they ask you during your interview? Typical fed govt questions or more about you personally?
It was typical fed gov questions (so mostly standard behavioral stuff) but they ended with “is there something on your resume we haven’t covered that you want to make sure we get to” which was a bit more free flowing. They had separate questions about the National office and the regional offices (I’m interested in both) so it was helpful to know what they both do, how they differ, why specific interest in a location. Hope that helps!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:25 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Boston Regional Office

Chicago Regional Office

Dallas Regional Office

Also, congratulations!

Good luck!
It was typical fed gov questions (so mostly standard behavioral stuff) but they ended with “is there something on your resume we haven’t covered that you want to make sure we get to” which was a bit more free flowing. They had separate questions about the National office and the regional offices (I’m interested in both) so it was helpful to know what they both do, how they differ, why specific interest in a location. Hope that helps!
Thank you. Interesting stuff as this was very much my experience as well. I was also told they only do one internship, which I found odd because none of the questions seemed to allow for separation of candidates.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:33 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Also, congratulations!

Good luck!
Thank you. Interesting stuff as this was very much my experience as well. I was also told they only do one internship, which I found odd because none of the questions seemed to allow for separation of candidates.
Eek I'm so nervous now- did it seem like they only sent you this email or was it a group email? I thought my interview went well but I guess not :/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck!
Eek I'm so nervous now- did it seem like they only sent you this email or was it a group email? I thought my interview went well but I guess not :/
Oh, I haven't heard anything so I'm in the same boat as you. I even emailed to follow-up and it's been radio silence. So, I am assuming I'm SOL at the SOL

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck!
It wasn’t addressed to me personally (looked like something that was copied and pasted). Totally possible they are rolling them out or something! Hopefully they’ll give more info to everyone soon.

enterusername

New

Post by enterusername » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:56 am

All,

The IRS reached out to me yesterday with an offer to work in one of their field offices. Accordingly, I think many of you can expect to start hearing back soon.

To all, best.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:25 am

enterusername wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:56 am
All,

The IRS reached out to me yesterday with an offer to work in one of their field offices. Accordingly, I think many of you can expect to start hearing back soon.

To all, best.
Which division? I am still waiting to hear from P&A at the National Office. Also did they call your references?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:24 am

Has anyone heard back from the OCC since the second interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:24 am
I have not. Interview was 2+ weeks ago and they haven’t asked for references, so I’m getting pessimistic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:47 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:24 am
I have not. Interview was 2+ weeks ago and they haven’t asked for references, so I’m getting pessimistic.
I’m in the same boat.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”