Transition to Public Interest - Loan Repayment Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
imanexcellentdriver

New

Transition to Public Interest - Loan Repayment

Post by imanexcellentdriver » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:55 pm

I have been saving money during the Covid loan payment suspension instead of putting it towards loans. If I chose to transition into public interest, would I be able to go on REPAYE/PSLF and keep that savings for house/other expenses?

Having difficulty answering this question on any of the online resources, all of which focus on which loans/income levels are eligible and don't describe my situation.

da.goat

New

Re: Transition to Public Interest - Loan Repayment

Post by da.goat » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:10 pm

imanexcellentdriver wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:55 pm
I have been saving money during the Covid loan payment suspension instead of putting it towards loans. If I chose to transition into public interest, would I be able to go on REPAYE/PSLF and keep that savings for house/other expenses?

Having difficulty answering this question on any of the online resources, all of which focus on which loans/income levels are eligible and don't describe my situation.
The government is not going to force you to pay up everything you've saved during the pause. Fortunately, the income based repayment options are focused on the amount of your income, not the amount of your savings. If you're planning to go on an IBR plan and/or PSLF, you're being very smart to save that money that you'd otherwise be spending on loans, since you expect your income to drop and it'll be harder to put aside future savings.

nixy

Gold

Re: Transition to Public Interest - Loan Repayment

Post by nixy » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:27 pm

da.goat wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:10 pm
Fortunately, the income based repayment options are focused on the amount of your income, not the amount of your savings.
Yup, this is the key point. PSLF requires you to enter an income-based repayment plan, and your assets are irrelevant to forgiveness.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”