Background Checks for State-Level Positions Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Background Checks for State-Level Positions

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:23 am

There’s lots of information on TLS and elsewhere online about the background checks for federal government positions (SF-86 form, etc.).

Does anyone know what the background check process is like for state AGs, state government agencies, and local prosecutors? How do they compare to federal background checks? Is there an SF-86 equivalent?

I’m particularly interested in NY, NJ, CT, and MA AGs and local DAs in those states.

Anonymous User

Re: Background Checks for State-Level Positions

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:42 am

I’ve gone through background checks for all 3. By far the most intensive in terms of forms I had to fill out and work I had to do was for an internship with the NYPD in law school (which I highly recommend by the way for anyone who’s interested in issues of civil liberties/law enforcement misconduct.) IIRC I had to dig up people for every address I had ever lived at in addition to every single roommate I had ever lived with. It was insane but I got cleared pretty quickly after getting everything in.

I work at a state agency now and the background process was similar to that I had experienced at the federal level, except for the fact that they called literally everyone on my list. There was a bit of worry when I got a call from them because they couldn’t find the boss I had when I worked retail during college, and I don’t think they ever found them, but I ended up getting cleared on schedule. I did have to do separate forms for my agency as well as the state in general though so it was a little more burdensome.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:08 pm

Thanks! Do state and local offices tend to be more or less forgiving about prior (but not especially recent) drug use? E.g., do they also, like the federal government on an SF-86, ask about an applicant’s history of drug use back to age 18? I expect it may vary by state/locality.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:34 pm

I think but am not 100% sure that the agency background check did not ask about marijuana. I believe that the NYPD did.

I also did a DA’s office internship in NYC and believe that they asked about drug use, but I can’t recall whether that included marijuana or not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”