Why did you become an AUSA? Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
caveman2

Bronze

Why did you become an AUSA?

Post by caveman2 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:42 pm

Hey all,

So I just started my fed agency job in September 2020. I was a county prosecutor before this job and since law school have only been interested in criminal law. After the stress and non-existent pay of being a county prosecutor, I made the leap to my current federal agency. I won't say which one, but it is criminal law-adjacent. The work I do isn't really all that interesting/stimulating, but it's fine. I do very much like that the work isn't necessarily grueling, and that my boss actively encourages us to not work more than 40 hours a week. Plus, I'm making literally twice as much as I was as a prosecutor and will be getting a $20k raise after I complete my first year (not to mention the awesome federal benefits).

That being said, I can't help but revisit the dream of being a federal criminal prosecutor and if that's something I would still want at some point in the future. As far as actually getting that job if I wanted it, I do think I could theoretically land one some years in the future as I work closely with AUSAs and will at some point be thrown a bit of SAUSA work myself to do. I live in a mid-sized metro area.

However, after only working with the AUSAs a few months now, I can already see how incredibly overworked/stressed they are, and they are actually making quite a bit less than I am (and I'm not working nearly as hard). This has caused me to wonder if I would really want to work that much harder for that much less pay just because I like the subject matter better. I'm also currently unmarried and childless, but am planning on having children within the next 5-10 years, with or without a partner (if that's a consideration).

So I ask all you AUSAs out there, why did you take the job? Is it something you want to do forever, or is it just a stepping stone for something else? Do you feel like it was worth it? Do you enjoy your job?

Return to “Public Interest & Government”