Federal Hiring Timeline Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
abc1990

New

Federal Hiring Timeline

Post by abc1990 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:23 pm

Good afternoon,
I interviewed with a federal agency's office in NYC in mid-November. The interview consisted of three 30 minute interviews with a different person each time. It seemed to go really well. I didn't hear anything so reached out in mid-December, and was told basically "don't worry, we're still deciding, hopefully we'll let you know soon." Now it's February and still nothing, but I think/hope the combination of holidays, Covid and change of administration might have slowed things down. I would love to know if I'm still in the running but I also don't want to follow up again because I don't want to look desperate. I have a job thankfully, but I'd prefer to make this move. Does anyone have any experience with something like this or any advice? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Federal Hiring Timeline

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:33 pm

Did they give you a timeline for how they expected the rest of the process to go?

In any case, there's no way of knowing. It definitely could be that things have been delayed, and government hiring is often very slow at the best of times. Or they might be negotiating with a first choice and waiting to reject people till everything is complete.

I think you're justified in checking back in and no one's going to think you're desperate, but I'm never sure how useful it is. They haven't forgotten about the job or you; they either genuinely aren't done yet, or haven't got around to rejections yet. (IME rejections may take a while to get to you but the federal government doesn't normally ghost people, but I can't rule it out.) You checking in isn't likely to change the process (if you told them you have a deadline b/c you have another offer, that could speed up the process, but just wanting to know, unfortunately, probably won't move the needle).

abc1990

New

Re: Federal Hiring Timeline

Post by abc1990 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:33 pm
Did they give you a timeline for how they expected the rest of the process to go?

In any case, there's no way of knowing. It definitely could be that things have been delayed, and government hiring is often very slow at the best of times. Or they might be negotiating with a first choice and waiting to reject people till everything is complete.

I think you're justified in checking back in and no one's going to think you're desperate, but I'm never sure how useful it is. They haven't forgotten about the job or you; they either genuinely aren't done yet, or haven't got around to rejections yet. (IME rejections may take a while to get to you but the federal government doesn't normally ghost people, but I can't rule it out.) You checking in isn't likely to change the process (if you told them you have a deadline b/c you have another offer, that could speed up the process, but just wanting to know, unfortunately, probably won't move the needle).
Thanks for the response! No timeline given and I didn't ask, so I guess I'll just wait a week or two and then reach out again if I still haven't heard. Thank you!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”