Public Defender Applications - 2021 Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Rk-oyez

New

Re: Public Defender Applications - 2021

Post by Rk-oyez » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:22 am

Has anyone heard anything back about Philly? I applied a while back and haven't heard a thing.

If it helps anyone here looking, NJ OPD is finishing final round interviews now and should be getting back to everyone next week!

spottykelbins

New

Post by spottykelbins » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:55 pm

Has anyone heard anything from Prettyman?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:14 pm

Allegheny County finally sending out second round invites/dings from EJW!

endmassincarceration

New

Post by endmassincarceration » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:41 pm
Anybody hear back about a second interview from New York county defender services yet?
Sorry, late to the conversation, but NYCDS has scheduled 2nd round interviews. And to the poster asking about BDS, they're stalling to figure out budget stuff (thanks covid) and it's not looking great for applicants but FWIW not getting a 2nd round invite doesn't mean you've been eliminated as an option.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:22 am

spottykelbins wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:55 pm
Has anyone heard anything from Prettyman?
theyre already doing interviews. if you haven't been invited to interview, it's a ding. sorry :/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Desmology

New

Post by Desmology » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:10 pm

Rk-oyez wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:22 am
Has anyone heard anything back about Philly? I applied a while back and haven't heard a thing.

If it helps anyone here looking, NJ OPD is finishing final round interviews now and should be getting back to everyone next week!
I have also not heard a thing from Philly. When does it become appropriate to call? :cry:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:46 pm

Has Colorado sent out offers yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:48 pm

How can you be sure about good intel on second round interviews with NYCDS? I was told they weren’t going to have second interviews until after the new year and that offers wouldn’t go out until spring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:46 pm

When I interviewed with Philadelphia they told me they didn't expect to know about second round interviews until mid-December at the earliest, so I'd hold off a while before contacting them. CO and NJ have made at least some offers as of this week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:46 pm
When I interviewed with Philadelphia they told me they didn't expect to know about second round interviews until mid-December at the earliest, so I'd hold off a while before contacting them. CO and NJ have made at least some offers as of this week.
I didn't know Philly had sent out offers at all yet. I'm guessing that's a ding, then.
Do you know what format people have been getting their NJ offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:48 pm
How can you be sure about good intel on second round interviews with NYCDS? I was told they weren’t going to have second interviews until after the new year and that offers wouldn’t go out until spring.
I have a second interview with NYCDS on Friday. I'm sorry if you haven't heard anything :((

Re: Colorado- damn. Huge congrats to all who got it!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:18 am

Any news on first, second or final interviews with OAD NY?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:08 pm

My partner had an interview with miami pd & was told on the spot he'd be moving on to panel interview next month.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:45 pm

Has New Hampshire made offers yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:45 pm
Has New Hampshire made offers yet?
Not that I know of? Second-round interviews aren't until January...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:10 pm
As someone who has worked along side Public Defenders I can tell you a truth that people don't want to admit too, but is true. The courts only KEEP the defenders that defend the way that they WANT people "defended". Optics of trying but in reality not really too well.

Here is what I mean by that, I have seen some good ones. Some CRAZY LEVEL GOOD ones. They tend to get gobbled up by firms pretty quick OR just not have their contracts renewed. The guys/gals still there a few renewals later tend to not be the ones that you want appointed to help you. You are better with a rookie with no clue at all than them. At least the rookie knows that they don't know.

I'll go a few levels deeper with this. Many have MULTIPLE discipline actions form the state bar. And remember those are just the complaints that stuck....that stuck......Many later apply for (and some even make) Prosecutor. So digest that as well. They are doing so bad at their job that they get disciplined by the state bar multiple times, and clearly had the goal of becoming prosecutor...........

It can be a good stepping stone, and you can use the time there to help people. Be the Good Example that burns bright but doesn't necessarily plan a career there is I suppose my point. Trust me, you'll know quickly among your colleagues and supervisors there who is who. It doesn't exactly take long to figure that out.

- The Legal Aid Clinics tend to be a different animal to be fair. It can vary wildly from location to location with those. Some of the most dedicated and quality work I saw done was by part time volunteers who often did a lot more than the full time paid staff IMHO. Anyone who has worked for ANY non-profit (even ones that have nothing to do with the practice of law) can likely tell you similar stories on such, especially any that seek out fundraising. Dear God to that. But the clinics often are more intake and refer, or help with simple forms that to be fair does help people, but anyone with a basic understanding of English could figure out on their own without the help. A lot of low income people without access to basic technology benefit from it, but the "change the world" stuff tends to be, not as often. More turn-aways and partial remedies than anything else. If you want to ACTUALLY help people, offer some pro-bono work on your own on the side. If looking for a resume booster though, and enter it KNOWING that is what it is, yeah legal aid clinics are ok.
What exactly are you seeking to accomplish by posting this rant? Sounds like you have a personal bone to pick w/the profession that, whatever it's merit, feels very off-base for a thread targeted at helping applicants find a job in a career path they're already decided to pursue.
It's very relevant. If someone asks you which flavor of antifreeze tastes best and where to buy it, it's ok to give them some extra pre consumption facts to factor in prior to chugging down.
PD lurker here. I want to go back to this rant because of how untrue it is in my jurisdiction, and the jurisdictions I've worked in (namely places in the Northeast). At least in my jurisdiction, we aren't technically state employees and I can assure you that our contract renewal process does not depend on what "the court" wants. This poster seems to be speaking very specifically to their own geographic region and I don't think it's fair to generalize all PD organizations this way, especially when talking to people who have already made the choice to pursue this career path.

I have seen bar advocates who are less than stellar, but my understanding is that they don't have "contracts" with the courts either - they're independent attorneys who are on a list to get appointed by the court, and they get paid per case. Some are fantastic; some are mediocre; some are bad. They aren't public defenders, though, and they don't go through the PD hiring process, which is what this thread is about.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:19 am

has anyone interviewed with NDS Harlem?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

endmassincarceration

New

Post by endmassincarceration » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:51 pm

Re: New Hampshire and NYCDS

I believe both are doing batches of interviews. My basis of knowledge for this is that I've done 2nd round interviews at both but I also know that NYCDS isn't even inviting anyone to 3rd round interviews until January, and their decisions won't be made for a while after that, so there's plenty of time. As for New Hampshire, I asked and was told that they aren't sending all their invites out at once.

Anyone have intel on San Diego Federal Defenders? Any offers made already / are they doing tiered offers / how many openings do they have for 2021?

lawstudent0987

New

Post by lawstudent0987 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:05 pm

has anyone heard from the prettyman re offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:16 pm

lawstudent0987 wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:05 pm
has anyone heard from the prettyman re offers?
Bumping this. Has anyone heard from Prettyman yet? Or know of any offers going out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:01 pm

endmassincarceration wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:51 pm
Re: New Hampshire and NYCDS

I believe both are doing batches of interviews. My basis of knowledge for this is that I've done 2nd round interviews at both but I also know that NYCDS isn't even inviting anyone to 3rd round interviews until January, and their decisions won't be made for a while after that, so there's plenty of time. As for New Hampshire, I asked and was told that they aren't sending all their invites out at once.

Anyone have intel on San Diego Federal Defenders? Any offers made already / are they doing tiered offers / how many openings do they have for 2021?
I have a friend who got an offer from SD FD a month or two ago; I don't know anything more about where the office is with other offers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ageofsuf

New

Post by ageofsuf » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:38 pm

I see some people on here talking about PD in NJ offering positions. Are these for current clerks? I thought the application process hasn't started yet. Is there still time to apply?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:09 pm

Any movement from LAS? They said they'd be interviewing starting in January?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:03 am

Have a panel coming up with Miami. Any insight or tips? Thanks!

MeanieTeanie

New

Post by MeanieTeanie » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:16 pm

FYI the application period for LA Public Defender I opens tomorrow. The window closes on Jan. 29.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”