Public Defender Applications - 2021 Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
SpikeSeagull

New

Re: Public Defender Applications - 2021

Post by SpikeSeagull » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:38 am
Does anyone know how hard it'll be to be a PD in my situation?

COA clerk, no defense experience (clinic, intern, etc.). Just realized while clerking and working on habeas cases that I really want to be a defender.
In addition to what the previous commenter said, some offices have appellate-level postings and would probably welcome your COA experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:42 am

Got rejected from Miami and NM (EJW).

samanthaestepa1

New

Post by samanthaestepa1 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:20 pm

Seconding the question about Legal Aid interviews. or NYCDS. Has anyone heard back?

I'm an intern now with LAS CDP in Manhattan and any attorney I ask says they aren't sure if interviewing has started.

As for other PD offices in NY - BDS recently went a hiring freeze and Bx Defenders isn't taking a class next year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:42 am
Got rejected from Miami and NM (EJW).
Sorry to hear about your rejections. Regarding NM, were you just rejected by them after a first or second interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:29 am

Lurker here. Obviously this year may be very different from years prior, but last year I did not hear back from LAS inviting me to interview until the week of Thanksgiving. So don't read anything into the fact that you haven't heard anything just yet!
samanthaestepa1 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:20 pm
Seconding the question about Legal Aid interviews. or NYCDS. Has anyone heard back?

I'm an intern now with LAS CDP in Manhattan and any attorney I ask says they aren't sure if interviewing has started.

As for other PD offices in NY - BDS recently went a hiring freeze and Bx Defenders isn't taking a class next year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:29 am
Lurker here. Obviously this year may be very different from years prior, but last year I did not hear back from LAS inviting me to interview until the week of Thanksgiving. So don't read anything into the fact that you haven't heard anything just yet!
samanthaestepa1 wrote:

I'll second this, LAS was the slowest-moving of all the offices I applied to (NYC-based offices + PDS, Miami, Colorado, etc.).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:10 pm
As someone who has worked along side Public Defenders I can tell you a truth that people don't want to admit too, but is true. The courts only KEEP the defenders that defend the way that they WANT people "defended". Optics of trying but in reality not really too well.

Here is what I mean by that, I have seen some good ones. Some CRAZY LEVEL GOOD ones. They tend to get gobbled up by firms pretty quick OR just not have their contracts renewed. The guys/gals still there a few renewals later tend to not be the ones that you want appointed to help you. You are better with a rookie with no clue at all than them. At least the rookie knows that they don't know.

I'll go a few levels deeper with this. Many have MULTIPLE discipline actions form the state bar. And remember those are just the complaints that stuck....that stuck......Many later apply for (and some even make) Prosecutor. So digest that as well. They are doing so bad at their job that they get disciplined by the state bar multiple times, and clearly had the goal of becoming prosecutor...........

It can be a good stepping stone, and you can use the time there to help people. Be the Good Example that burns bright but doesn't necessarily plan a career there is I suppose my point. Trust me, you'll know quickly among your colleagues and supervisors there who is who. It doesn't exactly take long to figure that out.

- The Legal Aid Clinics tend to be a different animal to be fair. It can vary wildly from location to location with those. Some of the most dedicated and quality work I saw done was by part time volunteers who often did a lot more than the full time paid staff IMHO. Anyone who has worked for ANY non-profit (even ones that have nothing to do with the practice of law) can likely tell you similar stories on such, especially any that seek out fundraising. Dear God to that. But the clinics often are more intake and refer, or help with simple forms that to be fair does help people, but anyone with a basic understanding of English could figure out on their own without the help. A lot of low income people without access to basic technology benefit from it, but the "change the world" stuff tends to be, not as often. More turn-aways and partial remedies than anything else. If you want to ACTUALLY help people, offer some pro-bono work on your own on the side. If looking for a resume booster though, and enter it KNOWING that is what it is, yeah legal aid clinics are ok.
What exactly are you seeking to accomplish by posting this rant? Sounds like you have a personal bone to pick w/the profession that, whatever it's merit, feels very off-base for a thread targeted at helping applicants find a job in a career path they're already decided to pursue.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:10 pm
As someone who has worked along side Public Defenders I can tell you a truth that people don't want to admit too, but is true. The courts only KEEP the defenders that defend the way that they WANT people "defended". Optics of trying but in reality not really too well.

Here is what I mean by that, I have seen some good ones. Some CRAZY LEVEL GOOD ones. They tend to get gobbled up by firms pretty quick OR just not have their contracts renewed. The guys/gals still there a few renewals later tend to not be the ones that you want appointed to help you. You are better with a rookie with no clue at all than them. At least the rookie knows that they don't know.

I'll go a few levels deeper with this. Many have MULTIPLE discipline actions form the state bar. And remember those are just the complaints that stuck....that stuck......Many later apply for (and some even make) Prosecutor. So digest that as well. They are doing so bad at their job that they get disciplined by the state bar multiple times, and clearly had the goal of becoming prosecutor...........

It can be a good stepping stone, and you can use the time there to help people. Be the Good Example that burns bright but doesn't necessarily plan a career there is I suppose my point. Trust me, you'll know quickly among your colleagues and supervisors there who is who. It doesn't exactly take long to figure that out.

- The Legal Aid Clinics tend to be a different animal to be fair. It can vary wildly from location to location with those. Some of the most dedicated and quality work I saw done was by part time volunteers who often did a lot more than the full time paid staff IMHO. Anyone who has worked for ANY non-profit (even ones that have nothing to do with the practice of law) can likely tell you similar stories on such, especially any that seek out fundraising. Dear God to that. But the clinics often are more intake and refer, or help with simple forms that to be fair does help people, but anyone with a basic understanding of English could figure out on their own without the help. A lot of low income people without access to basic technology benefit from it, but the "change the world" stuff tends to be, not as often. More turn-aways and partial remedies than anything else. If you want to ACTUALLY help people, offer some pro-bono work on your own on the side. If looking for a resume booster though, and enter it KNOWING that is what it is, yeah legal aid clinics are ok.
What exactly are you seeking to accomplish by posting this rant? Sounds like you have a personal bone to pick w/the profession that, whatever it's merit, feels very off-base for a thread targeted at helping applicants find a job in a career path they're already decided to pursue.
It's very relevant. If someone asks you which flavor of antifreeze tastes best and where to buy it, it's ok to give them some extra pre consumption facts to factor in prior to chugging down.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:48 am

Has anyone heard from Alameda, San Diego, or any of the New York offices after EJW?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SpikeSeagull

New

Post by SpikeSeagull » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:43 pm

samanthaestepa1 wrote:

Well, I assume everyone who applied got the LAS email, but if not: don't expect any interview movement until January 2021 (apparently process was delayed by COVID).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:07 pm

SpikeSeagull wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:43 pm
samanthaestepa1 wrote:

Well, I assume everyone who applied got the LAS email, but if not: don't expect any interview movement until January 2021 (apparently process was delayed by COVID).
That's tough. I know some PD offices from EJW are already giving out offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:30 pm

Who!!??
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:07 pm
SpikeSeagull wrote:
samanthaestepa1 wrote:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:54 pm

Has anyone who applied to King County PD (Seattle) heard about an interview? The website said they'd start scheduling in late October.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:30 pm
Who!!??
Anonymous User wrote:
SpikeSeagull wrote:
samanthaestepa1 wrote:

New Mexico

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:04 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Who!!??
Anonymous User wrote:
SpikeSeagull wrote:
samanthaestepa1 wrote:

New Mexico
Really? Where have people been placed? If not comfortable saying the exact city, can you say rural or urban location?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:40 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Who!!??
Anonymous User wrote:
SpikeSeagull wrote:
samanthaestepa1 wrote:

New Mexico
Really? Where have people been placed? If not comfortable saying the exact city, can you say rural or urban location?
So still no word from NM even though they anticipated offers going out this week?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:40 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Who!!??
Anonymous User wrote:
SpikeSeagull wrote:
samanthaestepa1 wrote:

New Mexico
So still no word from NM even though they anticipated offers going out this week?
New Mexico sent out offers on Monday.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:54 pm
Has anyone who applied to King County PD (Seattle) heard about an interview? The website said they'd start scheduling in late October.
DPD extended all their offers and send out rejections today for those who interviewed. I’m sorry.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:20 pm

Has CO made offers yet? I interviewed with them weeks ago and haven't heard anything so I'm assuming I'm out either way

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:09 am

Hamilton County (Cincinnati) just sent out final round interview invites for anyone keeping track

throwaway4ever

New

Post by throwaway4ever » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:11 pm

Anyone get a second round with OAD in NYC?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:20 pm
Has CO made offers yet? I interviewed with them weeks ago and haven't heard anything so I'm assuming I'm out either way
Colorado's doing final interviews this week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Anybody hear back about a second interview from New York county defender services yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:12 pm

Anyone apply to Orange County Public Defender's office? Any news?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:47 pm

anyone hear from BDS yet or get confirmation that they're not hiring this year? the only update i have to offer is that New Orleans is scheduling first round interviews now

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”