District Attorney's Offices 2021 Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorney's Offices 2021

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:00 pm

It was a pretty chill get-to-know-you screener interview! Standard resume questions, why you want to work at Manhattan DA, etc. I heard the 2nd and 3rd rounds are the killers.
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:21 pm
Any advice on what to expect for a first round with Manhattan DA?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:01 pm

mfg5564 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:27 pm
Any news on the Bronx from anyone? 3rd round interview was 2 weeks ago for me.
i had my third round w Bronx on 10/28 and was offered the position several hours after the interview

newyorkgirl

New

Post by newyorkgirl » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:20 am

Anyone have any idea of the time span to hear back?

Had first round with queens on 11/13 (last Friday) and second round with Brooklyn on 11/18. Starting to go slightly crazy checking my email as my friend moved from her second to third to final interview so fast. Granted she had a drastically different panel than me (her panel was like 10 minutes and beyond easy)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:07 pm

Are the NYC offices still doing 1st interviews? I'm feeling pretty despondent that I'm only 1/4 as far as even getting a screener.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:07 pm
Are the NYC offices still doing 1st interviews? I'm feeling pretty despondent that I'm only 1/4 as far as even getting a screener.
Yes. I had a first round last week with a NYC office, and have a first round this week with another.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gumbomombo

New

Post by gumbomombo » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:13 pm

Anyone apply for and are waiting for San Bernardino County District Attorney's Office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:13 pm

Has anyone gotten an offer anywhere? Has anyone had any luck with their Nassau applications?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:42 pm

Has anyone heard anything from Cook County?

MeanieTeanie

New

Post by MeanieTeanie » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:32 pm

Anyone have insight into what's going on with Los Angeles DA hiring? I recognize this is a time of transition for them, given the new DA was sworn in yesterday, but figured I'd check to see if anyone's heard anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:15 pm

What is the Queen's Interview Process like? I figure the first round is a pretty standard first round but what about the others?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:15 pm

What is the Queen's Interview Process like? I figure the first round is a pretty standard first round but what about the others?

gumbomombo

New

Post by gumbomombo » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:22 pm

MeanieTeanie wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:32 pm
Anyone have insight into what's going on with Los Angeles DA hiring? I recognize this is a time of transition for them, given the new DA was sworn in yesterday, but figured I'd check to see if anyone's heard anything.
I have also been waiting for Los Angeles County to open up. Unfortunately, I believe there is a hard hiring freeze county wide.

Have you applied anywhere else in socal?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:15 pm
Queens requires you to do an opening statement for the panel round I believe.

It's been a bit so it's tough to recall. I am an ADA in Manhattan but I interviewed in Queens, Brooklyn, and Bronx.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MeanieTeanie

New

Post by MeanieTeanie » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:17 am

gumbomombo wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:22 pm
MeanieTeanie wrote:
I have also been waiting for Los Angeles County to open up. Unfortunately, I believe there is a hard hiring freeze county wide.

I have not. I’m primarily interested in LA for a variety of reasons, and am optimistically hoping they open up hiring in the next couple months. You?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:06 am

Does anyone have any hypo examples to share for Manhattan DA second round panel?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:06 am
Does anyone have any hypo examples to share for Manhattan DA second round panel?
They just asked me about what I think the role of a prosecutor is and a hypo about how I would go about prosecuting a homeless person who was like stealing food vs. like a student stealing something. I don't remember exactly what it was but the main point was what are the different things you look to when deciding to prosecute a case besides the black letter law.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:39 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:06 am
They just asked me about what I think the role of a prosecutor is and a hypo about how I would go about prosecuting a homeless person who was like stealing food vs. like a student stealing something. I don't remember exactly what it was but the main point was what are the different things you look to when deciding to prosecute a case besides the black letter law.
I interviewed there in the last two years, and they also adjusted their hypos to fit my resume. So I had worked with veterans and done an immigration clinic, so the hypos they gave included "well what if the person who stole/drove while drunk was a veteran? Would you consider immigration consequences of a conviction? Would you reduce a charge to avoid negative immigration consequences for a defendant? Do you think that's unfair for all of the citizens you don't reduce the charge for?"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gumbomombo

New

Post by gumbomombo » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:40 pm

MeanieTeanie wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:17 am
gumbomombo wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:22 pm
MeanieTeanie wrote:

I have not. I’m primarily interested in LA for a variety of reasons, and am optimistically hoping they open up hiring in the next couple months. You?
- I applied for Venutra County, but from what I have heard, they only hire experienced DAs from other offices. There is usually 1 or 2 vacancies every listing (usually listed once a year). I do not believe they have a training program.

- I also applied for Orange County, but again, they prefer experienced DAs from other offices or law clerks from the same office. Note: there is a new more conservative DA in charge, older DA (Rukakcus, spelling) was voted out. The office was engulfed in a scandal regarding jail house informants. In general this office has a somewhat shady reputation. Better to steer clear, the reputational harm is not worth it.

- Los Angeles City Attorney's Office, I have applied for in the past, and was told that I would need "significant prosecutorial experience." I was advised to work prosecutor office in central California and work myself back to Los Angeles. Seems like pretty sound advice.

- Same with Deputy Attorney General with CA state govt. They are looking for experienced attorneys.

Bottom line:

In SoCal, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office (and Public Defender's Office) is the only office (I know of) which will hire and train fresh prosecutors/defenders. The issue is that they seldom ever have openings. On average the listing opens once every 2-3 years. When they are hiring, the competition is steep and only for a few spots. A buddy of mines got hired after his 3rd attempt. Another friend of mines got hired at the PD's office after his 5th attempt.

Maybe some DDAs will quit in opposition to the Gascon's new progressive policies, but that's just speculation. The County is on a hiring freeze, and as a resident here, I don't see matters getting better. There is a massive exodus from the county.

Anyway, none of this matters, because as soon as it does open up, we will both apply and give it our best :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:12 pm

Has anyone been through Brooklyn's final round?

I was just invited for a final round and I'm just curious what they'll ask, how long, if its a formality...etc?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:42 pm
Has anyone heard anything from Cook County?
Not the same anon but re-upping this...any news? I had an initial interview in October and they said they would be in touch by December.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:12 pm

I was just invited for a final round and I'm just curious what they'll ask, how long, if its a formality...etc?
How many rounds did you end up having with Brooklyn? I was under the impression it was 3 total (as opposed to NYDA's 4), but was told now it is 4, too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

samanthaestepa1

New

Post by samanthaestepa1 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:28 am
Anonymous User wrote:

How many rounds did you end up having with Brooklyn? I was under the impression it was 3 total (as opposed to NYDA's 4), but was told now it is 4, too.
This would be my fourth round. I know one friend who had three - but she also had her interview with Vance that same day and she was a past intern so that may be why they expedited her and let her skip a round

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:40 pm

samanthaestepa1 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:09 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This would be my fourth round. I know one friend who had three - but she also had her interview with Vance that same day and she was a past intern so that may be why they expedited her and let her skip a round
Oh, wait, are we talking about NYDA or BKDA? Vance is the DA for Manhattan. Manhattan I know is always 4 rounds, but in the past it was a 3 round interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:50 pm

Do any Wisconsin DA offices hire 3Ls? Most of their online postings currently available say they only hire licensed WI attorneys but I figured it was worth asking.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:40 pm
samanthaestepa1 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:09 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Oh, wait, are we talking about NYDA or BKDA? Vance is the DA for Manhattan. Manhattan I know is always 4 rounds, but in the past it was a 3 round interview.
Sorry, that was confusing. Talking about BKDA, my friend had 3 interviews only, however, on the day of her third interview with BK, she had her interview with DA Vance coming up and let BK know that and thats when they offered her a position. But as far as I know, BK is always 4 interviews. Do you know anyone who did the 4th interview? what was it like?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”