Impact of COVID on PI Hiring Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
paisa_sandia

New

Impact of COVID on PI Hiring

Post by paisa_sandia » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:21 pm

Thoughts on this? What do people think the impact of the pandemic/economic crisis will be on public interest/government hiring, especially for this upcoming year? My sense is that it probably depends on how prolonged the economic crisis, but it never hurts to start speculating/stressing early!

Bigeasy

New

Re: Impact of COVID on PI Hiring

Post by Bigeasy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:07 pm

It really depends on the period of the pandemia, but I don`t think we should wait for something positive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:46 pm

paisa_sandia wrote:Thoughts on this? What do people think the impact of the pandemic/economic crisis will be on public interest/government hiring, especially for this upcoming year? My sense is that it probably depends on how prolonged the economic crisis, but it never hurts to start speculating/stressing early!
From the civil legal aid and housing perspective, I got done with the hiring process a couple of weeks ago. They acknowledged delays due to office closures, but wanted to fast track my application. Last step was on the phone. There is still a high need, job postings are still going up and renewed, and the expected start date is still planned for September. Since the bar exam in NY has been pushed to tentatively 9/9-10, I am expecting a late September start. Feels about the same with the exception that I can't do a post-bar trip in August.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:37 pm

For government, it depends on the department. I work(ed) for a notoriously and historically underfunded department. Even after being hired "on paper" (accepting the position, going through background checks, etc.) positions can be "defunded." It's super frustrating because unlike being furloughed, you can't collect unemployment. Also, there's the resume gap issue.

Being furloughed is "better" but furlough is code for "we love you but the government won't approve your salary and that's probably not going to change anytime soon, so this is really I soft termination, but you're smart so you can read between the lines.also don't hate me because even though it's not my fault and my hands are tied, i'm so sorry."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”