Honors Attorney Program 2019-2020 (non-DOJ) Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Honors Attorney Program 2019-2020 (non-DOJ)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No, haven’t heard anything about scheduling either. I also need to make plans so hopefully we’ll all hear soon.
I just got my interview info this afternoon, but travel information hasn't come yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:52 pm

I’m assuming maybe they are overloaded scheduling these interviews. For the poster who got their schedule, are you interviewing this week? Thinking maybe they are going day by day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I’m assuming maybe they are overloaded scheduling these interviews. For the poster who got their schedule, are you interviewing this week? Thinking maybe they are going day by day.
I'm interviewing late next week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I’m assuming maybe they are overloaded scheduling these interviews. For the poster who got their schedule, are you interviewing this week? Thinking maybe they are going day by day.
I'm interviewing late next week.
Hmm. I requested to be interviewed on the 18th-20th so maybe that is why there is the delay. Wish I knew more. I don't even know which departments I am interviewing with. I only had a preliminary phone call with Supervision Policy but it wasn't really an interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:14 pm

Has anyone heard any updates from DOL?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:01 pm

Re: DOL
Nope- I’m the anon above who had a phone interview post-OCI. They said they would make decisions November-December, I didn’t get the impression there would be an in-person interview round but I could be wrong.

shenan9944

New

Post by shenan9944 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:04 am

xmgr wrote:Anybody heard any more from NOAA?
I have a video interview with NOAA today. I got the invite last week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Re: DOL
Nope- I’m the anon above who had a phone interview post-OCI. They said they would make decisions November-December, I didn’t get the impression there would be an in-person interview round but I could be wrong.
same. I had a phone interview about 3 weeks ago but haven't heard anything. IIRC, they said I probably wouldn't hear from them for about a month. They didn't mention another round of interviews to me either, but I would be somewhat surprised if they hire just off of a 30 minute interview.

xmgr

New

Post by xmgr » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:11 pm

shenan9944 wrote:
xmgr wrote:Anybody heard any more from NOAA?
I have a video interview with NOAA today. I got the invite last week.
I appreciate knowing that this opportunity has passed. No invite here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
same. I had a phone interview about 3 weeks ago but haven't heard anything. IIRC, they said I probably wouldn't hear from them for about a month. They didn't mention another round of interviews to me either, but I would be somewhat surprised if they hire just off of a 30 minute interview.
In past years (based on my experience when I applied) they did seem to hire off the single phone interview. Seems very weird to me, but that was my understanding.

Rv30

New

Post by Rv30 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
In past years (based on my experience when I applied) they did seem to hire off the single phone interview. Seems very weird to me, but that was my understanding.
I had my interview last month. I asked if there would be a second round. For DC office, no, but Regional offices may in their discretion have second rounds. Most don’t.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:38 pm

Do they do reference checks for DOL? I don't think I submitted references when I applied on USA jobs... wondering if people hear soon about asking for references.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:15 pm

For anyone applying to CFPB --

Unlike DOJ, which uses the GS scale, CFPB is on the Federal Reserve pay scale, which doesn't specify exact salaries for years of experience. Instead, it gives a range. For example, Honors Attorneys right out of law school would make a minimum of $66k, an average of $81k, and a max of $97k (plus locality adjustments).

Anyone who went through this process -- is there any room for negotiation of where you land in this range? CFPB explanation of benefits (https://arc.fiscal.treasury.gov/files/p ... loyees.pdf) says that pay is determined by "the requirements of the role you will be serving at CFPB as well as the skills, experience, and expertise you bring."

I'm thinking that Honors Attorneys are more or less interchangeable, so everyone should get the same pay and it's not negotiable. But I'm wondering if, for instance, a clerkship or particularly relevant summer or post-graduation fellowship work would be reason enough to try to ask for more. Any thoughts? (btw I haven't gotten an offer, I'm just being presumptuous af and i'm bored and imagining what life would be like with a positive bank balance...)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:27 pm

FDIC is making calls to offer interviews in person.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For anyone applying to CFPB --

Unlike DOJ, which uses the GS scale, CFPB is on the Federal Reserve pay scale, which doesn't specify exact salaries for years of experience. Instead, it gives a range. For example, Honors Attorneys right out of law school would make a minimum of $66k, an average of $81k, and a max of $97k (plus locality adjustments).

Anyone who went through this process -- is there any room for negotiation of where you land in this range? CFPB explanation of benefits (https://arc.fiscal.treasury.gov/files/p ... loyees.pdf) says that pay is determined by "the requirements of the role you will be serving at CFPB as well as the skills, experience, and expertise you bring."

I'm thinking that Honors Attorneys are more or less interchangeable, so everyone should get the same pay and it's not negotiable. But I'm wondering if, for instance, a clerkship or particularly relevant summer or post-graduation fellowship work would be reason enough to try to ask for more. Any thoughts? (btw I haven't gotten an offer, I'm just being presumptuous af and i'm bored and imagining what life would be like with a positive bank balance...)
Does anyone know when the CFPB will be making decisions following in-person interviews? Also, did others think that the interview was difficult?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:09 pm

Does anyone know when the CFPB will be making decisions following in-person interviews? Also, did others think that the interview was difficult?[/quote]

Not sure when they're making decisions, but today is the last day of their interviews. It sounded like this was all a bit rushed on their end, so it may potentially take them a while to get decisions out, but I'm just guessing. I know they're aware of other HP hiring timelines (like DOJ, which is sending out offers this week and next), so hopefully they'll move quickly so as not to lose applicants.

I don't know that I'd describe the interview as "difficult," exactly; the structured nature of the interview made it a bit tough to connect with the interviewers, though. Even though the questions were generic, I tried to weave in as much as I could from my resume, background, personality, etc. to avoid being generic myself, but at times I felt like I was evading their questions (and yeah, a couple of them caught me off-guard and I couldn't think up very good anecdotes!)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know when the CFPB will be making decisions following in-person interviews? Also, did others think that the interview was difficult?
Not sure when they're making decisions, but today is the last day of their interviews. It sounded like this was all a bit rushed on their end, so it may potentially take them a while to get decisions out, but I'm just guessing. I know they're aware of other HP hiring timelines (like DOJ, which is sending out offers this week and next), so hopefully they'll move quickly so as not to lose applicants.

I don't know that I'd describe the interview as "difficult," exactly; the structured nature of the interview made it a bit tough to connect with the interviewers, though. Even though the questions were generic, I tried to weave in as much as I could from my resume, background, personality, etc. to avoid being generic myself, but at times I felt like I was evading their questions (and yeah, a couple of them caught me off-guard and I couldn't think up very good anecdotes!)[/quote]

It felt like it was a lot of thinking on my feet and rolling with whatever anecdote came to my head first, even if it wasn't the best or didn't really answer the question. I felt like the questions led me to sometimes long-winded answers, so I definitely though it was difficult to really show them who I am. The follow-up questions were also hard because it was sometimes difficult to recall the exact specifics of the situation IMO.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Locolojo

New

Post by Locolojo » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:36 am

Just got an automated email that my DOL application has been received and is being reviewed. I had both an OCI and a phone interview so I don’t know what to make of this. Anyone else?

Turkeyturkey

New

Post by Turkeyturkey » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:56 am

Locolojo wrote:Just got an automated email that my DOL application has been received and is being reviewed. I had both an OCI and a phone interview so I don’t know what to make of this. Anyone else?

Same

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:02 am

Locolojo wrote:Just got an automated email that my DOL application has been received and is being reviewed. I had both an OCI and a phone interview so I don’t know what to make of this. Anyone else?
I got the same one (interviewed early October). I'd assume it just means they are finally getting the ball rolling at the home office so hopefully we will hear something soon. I'm taking it as good news.

Shfkabshvjsa

New

Post by Shfkabshvjsa » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:04 am

I got this too. I’ve heard USAJobs can give kind of random updates

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tireddddd3l

New

Post by tireddddd3l » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:17 am

I just received that email as well. My school didn't do an OCI and I haven't had a phone interview either...Maybe it's just an automated acknowledgment?

Shfkabshvjsa

New

Post by Shfkabshvjsa » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:24 am

Update: a friend who actually withdrew their application also received this email, so I think it’s meaningless.

Has anyone heard anything else? I had an interview the last week of October and I could have sworn the interviewers told me they’d be making decisions that week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:36 am

I got that too. I haven't had an interview though. Doubt I'll get one. So, it likely doesnt mean much. Maybe they are done with interviews? Idk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know when the CFPB will be making decisions following in-person interviews? Also, did others think that the interview was difficult?

I don't know that I'd describe the interview as "difficult," exactly; the structured nature of the interview made it a bit tough to connect with the interviewers, though. Even though the questions were generic, I tried to weave in as much as I could from my resume, background, personality, etc. to avoid being generic myself, but at times I felt like I was evading their questions (and yeah, a couple of them caught me off-guard and I couldn't think up very good anecdotes!)

It felt like it was a lot of thinking on my feet and rolling with whatever anecdote came to my head first, even if it wasn't the best or didn't really answer the question. I felt like the questions led me to sometimes long-winded answers, so I definitely though it was difficult to really show them who I am. The follow-up questions were also hard because it was sometimes difficult to recall the exact specifics of the situation IMO.
I thought it was difficult too. I had an unstructured sit-down with the GC, which I thought was lovely. I connected with my first panel much more than the second, in part because I think I was less tired. On the other hand, I was primed by the first interview, and gave better answers in some cases. I interviewed with the DOJ as well, which consisted of questions almost entirely from my résumé and application.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”