DOJ Honors Program 2019-2020 Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2019-2020

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 05, 2020 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had some movement on my background check as well--my pre-employment waiver came through.
whats a pre-employment waiver?
From my understanding, it means that nothing in my e-QIP is immediately disqualifying and I’m cleared to start work. The full background investigation is still pending.
how do you know if it comes through?
They'll tell you. Appointments are initially made on a temporary basis; continued employment is contingent on favorable adjudication.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 11, 2020 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had some movement on my background check as well--my pre-employment waiver came through.
whats a pre-employment waiver?
From my understanding, it means that nothing in my e-QIP is immediately disqualifying and I’m cleared to start work. The full background investigation is still pending.
how do you know if it comes through?
They'll tell you. Appointments are initially made on a temporary basis; continued employment is contingent on favorable adjudication.
My BI paperwork was submitted several weeks ago and I still haven’t heard anything. Has anyone called OARM to check on the status of their BI, and if so, gotten any traction? I’m worried about calling, frustrating them, and having my BI get pushed to the bottom of the stack.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 11, 2020 2:43 pm

When I went through this, I never got a formal notification of anything being done, my office just called up about a start date. There's no point worrying now - it's still a few months before you're starting at the earliest. I don't think OARM is going to stick your application at the bottom of the stack if you call and ask, so feel free to do so if you're really concerned, but I don't think you need to be worried. Keep in mind that different people submit the eQIP at different times, too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 11, 2020 2:53 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I guess I just worry about the (low) possibility of something negative coming back on the BI and that’s causing the delay. And if something does come back that would hold me up or prohibit me from working, I’m SOL because other summer opportunities are limited right now. My rational mind is telling me OARM is just slowed right now because of the pandemic, but I wonder, would calling even have any benefit? Would OARM even comment on the status of my BI?
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:43 pm
When I went through this, I never got a formal notification of anything being done, my office just called up about a start date. There's no point worrying now - it's still a few months before you're starting at the earliest. I don't think OARM is going to stick your application at the bottom of the stack if you call and ask, so feel free to do so if you're really concerned, but I don't think you need to be worried. Keep in mind that different people submit the eQIP at different times, too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 11, 2020 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:53 pm
Thanks for the quick response. I guess I just worry about the (low) possibility of something negative coming back on the BI and that’s causing the delay. And if something does come back that would hold me up or prohibit me from working, I’m SOL because other summer opportunities are limited right now. My rational mind is telling me OARM is just slowed right now because of the pandemic, but I wonder, would calling even have any benefit? Would OARM even comment on the status of my BI?
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:43 pm
Wait, are you talking about the SLIP program? I think people here are all talking about the post-grad Honors program, which is different.

I don't know if they would even comment, frankly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 11, 2020 7:17 pm

I can say that I have been corresponding with OARM about some
Inquiries they had on my application. I think it’s moving along.

Does anyone know if you become a licensed attorney before start date if you come in at a higher pay grade? Or do you have to stay at a “trainee” level for a certain time?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 11, 2020 8:08 pm

Pretty sure being licensed doesn't make a difference, it's years of experience that distinguishes between the pay grades, but I could be wrong.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 11, 2020 8:56 pm

Yup, that is correct.

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:08 pm
Pretty sure being licensed doesn't make a difference, it's years of experience that distinguishes between the pay grades, but I could be wrong.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 16, 2020 2:02 pm

Lurker here - let's say an incoming DOJHP entry level attorney did all of their background/suitability check stuff, and has received no communications about the process since they submitted/interviewed.

Should they expect to start in the fall without hearing anything? If an issue were to come up, when would they be notified, and what would happen? Do you serve out the temporary 14-month appointment? Really only looking for responses from ppl who have been through this process before.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 16, 2020 2:38 pm

FWIW, this was my timeline:

- job offer right after Thanksgiving (I accepted right away)
- got the e-qip and various related forms over the next week or three.
- submitted e-qip on Dec 13
- e-mail about drug test Jan 25 (had to take it in the next 2-3 days IIRC)
(I don't have specific dates but pretty sure my interview with investigators was late Dec/early Jan; I know investigators talked to friends/former employers in March)
- phone call on May 21 about arranging start date in the fall (and they would/could not tell me that I'd passed the background check at that point; I had a weird convo with them where they said I couldn't start until I passed the background check but couldn't pass the background check until I had a start date. Or something along those lines)
- started Oct 1 (and I didn't hear anything else from the employer between May 21 and September 5)

First, I don't think that not hearing anything has any significance under the current circumstances. Things are nuts and investigations may have been delayed b/c investigators probably can't conduct all the usual face to face interviews under SIP etc. conditions.

Second, if the check fails or there is an issue they will contact you pretty much when it arises. (I have various connections outside the US and my investigators have had to come back to clarify certain details.) If there is an insurmountable issue, no, you won't serve out the 14-month appointment; the 14-month appointment doesn't have anything to do with your background check, that's just a separate probationary thing where they can fire you without having to go through the usual federal firing procedures (which are complex). Do you have any reason to think you might have issues? They really just want to see you tell the truth on all the questions.

Finally, I never actually got told I had passed the check, they just contacted me about starting and so on. (This is different from what happened during my review just recently - you get checked again every 7 years - where I did get official notification that I'd passed.) So I would not freak out about not having heard anything. If there *is* a problem, they'll let you know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 17, 2020 7:07 pm

Thanks, that is very helpful.

Not freaking out, the process is just very murky. It would be great if they gave you a thumbs up at some point, but nope.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 19, 2020 8:58 am

Has anyone actually gotten a start date thus far?

Also, have anyone been checking the Avue portal? The message board has been nonexistent in terms of updates. I noticed that my “status” states: “finalist but no offer extended.”

I find this hard to believe because I have gotten a tentative offer back in January and have been in weekly contact with the component.

Anyone have a change in their status?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue May 19, 2020 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 19, 2020 9:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:07 pm
Thanks, that is very helpful.

Not freaking out, the process is just very murky. It would be great if they gave you a thumbs up at some point, but nope.
You may need to develop a little more comfort with murkiness, I'm afraid.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 19, 2020 11:22 pm

once an EOD is given, does any formal writing or firm offer usually follow?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 20, 2020 7:37 am

The only thing in writing I got was the original offer letter which I think was back around when I accepted the offer (maybe in December), and then a bunch of forms to fill out with my eqip. I didn’t get anything after that, when I got my EOD date. Once you start you have access to an online employment document system where various personnel things get filed, and it will have a record of your EOD (eventually. It’s always way behind things actually happening. Like a record of my salary review in April will show up in June or July).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 20, 2020 6:24 pm

When you got you got your EOD, did some one reach out to you or were you expected to just show on start date?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 20, 2020 6:44 pm

I don't get the question. They have to reach out to you to give you your EOD date. They'll tell you when/where to show up the first day.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 22, 2020 11:27 am

:shock: Got my EOD date, and I’m slated to begin in July! I was able to start earlier but need to move. I was also issued a “firm offer” employment letter.

I always thought HP all start in fall? I guess because of the pandemic things may be different.

Timeline:

Interview in Oct

Tentative offer in mid January
Pre-employment docs submitted

Graduated law school (late January ceremony)

Bar exam Feb 2020

Submitted Eqip in early March

March - May: investigation by OARM (mainly by email)

April: pass bar and admitted

May: EOD start date, multiple options given.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 22, 2020 12:17 pm

Congrats! I think on one of the big differences is that you took the bar in Feburary/are not clerking. A lot of HP hires are clerks, who can't usually start in July; people who get hired as 3Ls have to take the bar exam first.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 22, 2020 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:27 am
:shock: Got my EOD date, and I’m slated to begin in July! I was able to start earlier but need to move. I was also issued a “firm offer” employment letter.

I always thought HP all start in fall? I guess because of the pandemic things may be different.

Timeline:

Interview in Oct

Tentative offer in mid January
Pre-employment docs submitted

Graduated law school (late January ceremony)

Bar exam Feb 2020

Submitted Eqip in early March

March - May: investigation by OARM (mainly by email)

April: pass bar and admitted

May: EOD start date, multiple options given.
Congratulations! Are you willing to describe the type of component you will be in, if you're not comfortable stating the component itself?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:24 pm

Bump. Did anyone receive any recent updates from any of the components? The waiting is slowly killing me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:40 am

Wow just saw they updated the DOJ Honors Program website for 2020-2021 participating components. EOIR has reduced its hire allocations (now only 25 for OCIJ).

I still see the message board on Avue has barely moved. I wonder if everyone has been placed?

Also saw the list of law schools attended by the 2020 entering class has been updated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:00 pm

Did anyone get a welcome email from OARM? A colleague who is also in the program received an email (don't know when) but I have yet to receive one. :/

echohoody

New

Post by echohoody » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:17 pm

Anyone get placed this during this cycle in central Florida? Please PM me!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:40 pm

Did anyone receive a formal letter informing them of a start date? Are we going to be working remotely?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”