Did anyone apply to the SEC recently Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Did anyone apply to the SEC recently

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:41 am

Have offers gone out for DC ENF? I heard they were going to make all offers at once. I interviewed but it was a few months ago so I assume I was passed over.

SkateboardT

New

Post by SkateboardT » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:54 am

Interviewed for CF and ENF in late may. Wondering if anybody else went through those interviews and whether they've heard back yet.

The ENF interview was scheduled about two months after submitting responses to several prompts. So, unsure about how quickly the division is moving on this, but this would be the end of week 2 for ENF and the end of Week 3 for CF. Figuring I probably got dinged for CF but based on the protracted timeline for ENF holding out hope (albeit dwindling) that they're still deciding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:25 pm

I received an offer from ENF but IDK whether they are extending offers all at once or on a rolling basis.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:25 pm
I received an offer from ENF but IDK whether they are extending offers all at once or on a rolling basis.
What was the offer and were they open to negotiation? Ive heard they've been trying to lower starting salaries over the past few years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:54 am
Anonymous User wrote:
What was the offer and were they open to negotiation? Ive heard they've been trying to lower starting salaries over the past few years.
Salaries are set with a pay matrix. We have a different pay scale. It's not like working on the GS scale, where you can negotiate your step. Instead, the process is very formulaic and is effectively based on the number of years (calculated down to the month) that the candidate has been in practice.

Because there's a matrix, I would doubt that starting salaries have gone down over the past few years. My understanding is that the matrix is updated at the same time we get our raises every year, and that the same percentage increase applied to our salaries is also applied to the matrix.

I know someone who started at the SEC a year after me, and is also a class below me in law school, and his starting salary is approximately the same as mine was For example, assume in 2020 that my starting salary as an SK 14 with 5 years experience was 150 and my raise in 2021 was 5% (numbers are approximate). His starting salary as an SK 14 with 4 years experience in 2021 was also 150. I think this generally supports the idea that the matrix gets updated every year in line with our raise.

Since you're asking about pay, one thing I want to note is that our pay scale is higher than GS, and that we get better raises than those on the GS scale. For the next three years, our raise will be whatever Congress approves for GS employees + ~2.8%. So last year it was ~5%, this year it was also about 5%, and next year it will be around 7% (assuming Congress approves the proposed ~4.6% increase for GS employees, which they've done historically).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:54 am
Anonymous User wrote:
I received my offer through the Honors Program, which was advertised at SK-11 or SK-12 depending on your qualifications.

If you're qualified for SK-12, you should of course negotiate for that.

But specific adjustments within each level (11, 12, etc.) are based on (1) your "relevant" practice experience (pretty much all post-JD legal exp.) and also (2) your "expertise" practice experience (e.g., if you did securities lit or cap markets).

If you practiced for 3 years and 5 months, you'd be given only 3 years of credit. It rounds down. If you practiced for 3 years and 10/11 months, I would try to negotiate for 4 years of credit.

I don't want to out myself by giving you my specific number, but the poster immediately above wrote $150,000 at SK-14 for 4 years of "relevant" and "expertise" experience, in Washington, DC, or New York, NY, which sounds right. For each level down, deduct $15K or so. So, SK-13 = $135,000, SK-12 = $120,000, SK-11 = $105,000. If you're straight out of law school, Honors Program SK-11, you'll start at $90,000 in DC, which is still better than the GS scale.

https://www.sec.gov/ohr/sec-compensation

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:14 am

Recently got an offer from DC ENF after a many-months long application process.

When you write "If you're qualified for SK-12, you should of course negotiate for that," what does that mean? Are the qualifications for SK-11, SK-12, SK-13, etc., laid out somewhere?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:14 am

When you write "If you're qualified for SK-12, you should of course negotiate for that," what does that mean? Are the qualifications for SK-11, SK-12, SK-13, etc., laid out somewhere?
Is the SEC Matrix available online somewhere?

hamiltona

New

Post by hamiltona » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:44 pm

Just got a call for an interview (first round) with satellite office (somewhere between the Mississippi and the Sierra Nevada, but not Texas).

No securities experience. Posting required 2 years legal experience, no securities experience required.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:14 am

Is the SEC Matrix available online somewhere?
It's on our intranet and, to my knowledge, not posted publicly. If you graduated within the past five years, the safe thing to do is to just assume you're near the bottom of the posted salary range (but make sure to give effect to the locality adjustment, which can be like 30%).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”