AUSA/USAO hiring Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: AUSA/USAO hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:11 pm

Based on my experience with hiring at my office, using the USAjobs resume builder won't hurt you in any way, but I don't think it's going to benefit you in any way either. Most people submit standard PDF resumes so there's no expectation that you use the resume builder.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:20 am

Has anyone heard anything from the D.Md posting that went up in December?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:37 pm

What is the deal with term appointments? Specifically I've seen several UIF 12-month term positions. How likely is it that those will be extended or made permanent. Is this a way for the offices to give people a trial run? How much can you even get done in a year? And I assume training somebody up is an investment for the government. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:52 pm

Different offices handle this kind of thing differently. My current office makes every effort to keep people who start on a term appointment (and who do well of course), but is clear up front that nothing is guaranteed. I don’t think all offices do that much.

As for the UIF positions, I’ve never handled any UIF cases, but I don’t think the positions are to give people a trial run. Offices can just hire for a permanent position if they want one (you’re on probation for the first 14 months anyway). I’d imagine this is addressing a legitimate need for someone to handle all the issues arising because of covid UI, that extension for a year isn’t unlikely (because I doubt that all the UI implications will have ended by then), and that these are going to be the kinds of cases you can largely handle in a year or so. They’re not likely to be extensive investigations, probably reactive cases when the agencies involved find fraud and hand the evidence over to you, and you can train someone to handle one specific kind of case relatively quickly.

No idea what will happen when these terms are up, though. Certainly you’re always better off getting experience in a USAO and making a good impression on AUSAs than not, and it would probably help with applying elsewhere even if it didn’t transition into a permanent gig in that office. (And it might, it’s just impossible to predict at this point.) But it’s best to plan on it being a one-year gig rather than anything else.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:06 pm

Has anyone had any movement over the last couple weeks or is everything frozen with the transition of administrations?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:52 pm
Different offices handle this kind of thing differently. My current office makes every effort to keep people who start on a term appointment (and who do well of course), but is clear up front that nothing is guaranteed. I don’t think all offices do that much.

As for the UIF positions, I’ve never handled any UIF cases, but I don’t think the positions are to give people a trial run. Offices can just hire for a permanent position if they want one (you’re on probation for the first 14 months anyway). I’d imagine this is addressing a legitimate need for someone to handle all the issues arising because of covid UI, that extension for a year isn’t unlikely (because I doubt that all the UI implications will have ended by then), and that these are going to be the kinds of cases you can largely handle in a year or so. They’re not likely to be extensive investigations, probably reactive cases when the agencies involved find fraud and hand the evidence over to you, and you can train someone to handle one specific kind of case relatively quickly.

No idea what will happen when these terms are up, though. Certainly you’re always better off getting experience in a USAO and making a good impression on AUSAs than not, and it would probably help with applying elsewhere even if it didn’t transition into a permanent gig in that office. (And it might, it’s just impossible to predict at this point.) But it’s best to plan on it being a one-year gig rather than anything else.
Thanks for the insight. My current position is pretty much guaranteed for 4 years, but after that unknowable. Also, I am not challenged (intellectually) and feel like my career is stalled. If it were just me I'd take the risk, but with a family I can't be unemployed, without insurance, potentially in a year. I'm probably going to at least apply and see where it goes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:52 pm

Thanks for the insight. My current position is pretty much guaranteed for 4 years, but after that unknowable. Also, I am not challenged (intellectually) and feel like my career is stalled. If it were just me I'd take the risk, but with a family I can't be unemployed, without insurance, potentially in a year. I'm probably going to at least apply and see where it goes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:27 am

Can anyone shed light on what kind of interview questions to prepare for? Especially civil AUSA in CA/NYC big city.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:20 am
Has anyone heard anything from the D.Md posting that went up in December?
Also curious about this and whether there is a different process for the Greenbelt spots than the Baltimore spots?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:58 pm

anyone care to share any recent movement by edny/sdny?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:58 pm
anyone care to share any recent movement by edny/sdny?
i know at least two people who had second round interviews at edny in mid-jan

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:21 am

Anyone hear back from DC Superior Court?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:22 am

Anyone hear back from DC Superior Court?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:35 pm

Do USAOs ever ghost you post-interview? Or is some form of rejection common?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:35 pm
Do USAOs ever ghost you post-interview? Or is some form of rejection common?

Some form of rejection will come. But it could be a long long time. And it might just be the USA-Jobs standard notice “someone else was selected for this position.” I recall getting a rejection notification a year later.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:28 am

Random question: does a full-time SAUSA carry USAO identification or identification for the local county office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:28 am
Random question: does a full-time SAUSA carry USAO identification or identification for the local county office?

SAUSA will get all the card admission to the office as needed and such. Probably a card to do so. But not actual credentials if that's what you are asking?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:48 am

Does anyone know if Main Justice hiring is similar to USAOs? I had seen a few different postings in different sections and was wondering if anyone had any insight?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:17 am

(Reply to above SAUSA Response)

Yes, I was wondering if the photo identification would say DOJ-SAUSA or ____County.

Thanks for your help.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:59 am

For those applying to AUSA positions from biglaw, does it matter what practice area of biglaw you're in? Would someone have an advantage/disadvantage applying from a biglaw labor & employment group versus a general litigation or antitrust group? All of these groups are still worlds apart from criminal law (and maybe even the civil AUSA positions), but does this get factored into consideration?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:22 am

Anyone apply and hear back from the recent main DOJ postings? Any insight as to timeline?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:01 pm

Anyone hear back from usao dc superior court?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:19 am

I recently interviewed with an east coast based AUSA office in February 2021 after serving 10-years as an active duty Judge Advocate. The interviewed seemed to go well, but it's been radio silence since. I emailed HR for an update but received no response, nor have I received an email/mailing rejection.

Does this timeline seem normal anyone with experience? I'm guessing that there's a delay with the new U.S. Attorney's not yet being appointed/confirmed, but I expected to have at least heard something back after 3 months.

Thank you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:15 am

Really impossible to say. You interviewed right at the time most USAs were stepping down (if they hadn’t already), so my guess is you’re stuck in the limbo of the transition to a new USA. But it’s unfortunate HR isn’t giving you any response. (Did you interview with the old USA?) When I was cut after a first round interview, I got notified really quickly that I wasn’t moving on, which is partly why I think you’re not necessarily out of the running, but unfortunately there’s no real way to know.

VDRomanoAUSA22

New

Post by VDRomanoAUSA22 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:15 am
Really impossible to say. You interviewed right at the time most USAs were stepping down (if they hadn’t already), so my guess is you’re stuck in the limbo of the transition to a new USA. But it’s unfortunate HR isn’t giving you any response. (Did you interview with the old USA?) When I was cut after a first round interview, I got notified really quickly that I wasn’t moving on, which is partly why I think you’re not necessarily out of the running, but unfortunately there’s no real way to know.
I actually interviewed with two AUSAs (one division chief), and the current US Attorney resigned in December.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”