AUSA/USAO hiring Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: AUSA/USAO hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:00 pm
I know that when compared to people with 5+ years of experience that includes clerkships and trial work, I'm not a competitive candidate. But the weird thing is that prior to me accepting the A3 clerkship I just finished (worst timing ever :lol: ), I had two interviews scheduled for crim AUSA positions. One of them was not glamorous at all, but one was for D.C. Just seems super random that I can get those with way less experience but I'm having a tough time now.
D.C. isn’t particularly well regarded as far as USAOs go. It’s more like a DA’s office because they largely prosecute local D.C. crim cases.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:56 am
Anonymous User wrote:
I know that when compared to people with 5+ years of experience that includes clerkships and trial work, I'm not a competitive candidate. But the weird thing is that prior to me accepting the A3 clerkship I just finished (worst timing ever :lol: ), I had two interviews scheduled for crim AUSA positions. One of them was not glamorous at all, but one was for D.C. Just seems super random that I can get those with way less experience but I'm having a tough time now.
D.C. isn’t particularly well regarded as far as USAOs go. It’s more like a DA’s office because they largely prosecute local D.C. crim cases.
Yeah, I think they hire more like a local prosecutor’s office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:56 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:05 am
So here's a strange one. I got an email Monday re: interviewing for a trial attorney position with the HCF strike force. It was clearly a BCC blast sent to all interviewees and asking for additional materials (writing sample, transcripts, and geographic preference), which I provided on Tuesday morning. But 72 hours later, I still haven't heard back about getting the interview scheduled.

Anyone else with a similar experience? I'm getting ready to write back to the paralegal who sent the email with a "just want to make sure I didn't miss anything from you" follow-up, but thought I'd ask here first.
I interviewed with the strike force and know a couple of other folks who interviewed and that currently work there. Of the five of us, none had the same interview rounds and structure, so interviewing there was pretty haphazard and ever-changing even before COVID. It will not hurt your chances to follow-up, but you they might say that they are still reviewing materials and there is no interview to schedule.

To be clear, the email from the strike force says "We would like for you to virtually interview for this position. In order to schedule this interview, though, I will need the following information from you:[writing sample, transcript, strike force preference]." So they've at least indicated that there will be an interview to schedule. I suppose it's possible that they hate my writing sample (same one I've used to get several other interviews) or the fact that I made a B- in Corporations so much that they're having second thoughts, but short of that I find it weird that I got the email Monday and then the week ended without anything getting scheduled.
That's good! Follow-up first thing on Monday. Like I wrote earlier, the process seemed completely haphazard at HCF for multiple reasons.

Not to scare you, but I know a former colleague who got an email from a flyover district that wished to interview him, then played phone tag for a week and never got an interview scheduled - so keep on it.

One piece of unsolicited advice: be sure to have a good answers to questions: "Why healthcare fraud?" and "Why do you want to do healthcare fraud instead of being an AUSA?" I didn't have a great answer to the latter because it was pretty apparent that I wanted to be an AUSA when I interviewed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:26 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:56 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah, I think they hire more like a local prosecutor’s office.
Yeah, the position was for the Superior Court Division, another of which was just posted about a week ago. I'd be completely fine with doing that for the four years to gain experience. I imagine that they still get a lot of applications.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:40 am
Anyone know what C.D. Cal's interview process is like?
Any chance anyone can share their experience? Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:25 am
Anonymous User wrote:
I finished the interview process in mid-June; it was pretty standard. First round was three panels of three AUSAs. Normal questions: why do you want to be an AUSA, why here, some standard hypotheticals you'd find online. Second round was front office and the US Attorney, and that was mostly the same. Know your own background and goals well, and know the background of the panels well.

Do you have an interview soon? I think I went at the front end of the process--I haven't heard anything, up or down, other than "the process is ongoing" in late July. Frustrating to say the least, but I'm assuming I am not getting it and trying to move on. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:46 pm

abreidenbach419 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:15 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I finished the interview process in mid-June; it was pretty standard. First round was three panels of three AUSAs. Normal questions: why do you want to be an AUSA, why here, some standard hypotheticals you'd find online. Second round was front office and the US Attorney, and that was mostly the same. Know your own background and goals well, and know the background of the panels well.

Do you have an interview soon? I think I went at the front end of the process--I haven't heard anything, up or down, other than "the process is ongoing" in late July. Frustrating to say the least, but I'm assuming I am not getting it and trying to move on. Good luck!
Thanks! I have an interview coming up soon. But I wouldn't be surprised if the process is just really long because they want to interview as many folks as possible. Good luck to you too! Really appreciate the response.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:55 pm

Has anyone heard back from the AUSA position in the Eastern District of Michigan?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:51 pm

Has anyone been invited to interview for the recently closed AUSA positions in the Eastern District of Virginia?

I went to referred status nearly 3 weeks ago but haven't heard anything since.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:40 pm

Same - was referred recently for a few EDVA AUSA gigs - still waiting to hear back for an interview.

abreidenbach419

New

Post by abreidenbach419 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:46 pm
abreidenbach419 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks! I have an interview coming up soon. But I wouldn't be surprised if the process is just really long because they want to interview as many folks as possible. Good luck to you too! Really appreciate the response.
nice. if you get any information about the process / when they plan to make offers, feel free to share here!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:49 am

So I've been invited to meet with the US Attorney in a smaller district and I am super excited about the prospect of landing the job. There is another AUSA position in a major market that I was recently referred to as a "best candidate" on USA Jobs and I am very interested in that district. While I doubt "best candidate" means anything, is it acceptable to reach out to the recruiting contact for that district to (i) update them on my process and (ii) let them know that I would be extremely interested in interviewing with their office? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:58 am

Anon because I’m an AUSA. “Best candidate” just means you meet the requirements, I’m afraid.

I’m not sure it makes sense to reach out to the recruiting contact in the second office based on anything less than an offer from the first office. Meeting the USA is a great sign but it’s not a guarantee. And the second office is extremely unlikely to fast track your application process at this point. If you’d already interviewed with the second office or something, sure. But not just being referred - their most likely reaction is to wish you well and proceed with other candidates.

If you get an offer from the first office I think it’s acceptable to ask for more time, then contact the second office. But I don’t think contacting the second office now will be at all fruitful. They’re not going to care if you’re a finalist in another office, they’re only going to care if you have an offer and they need to figure out if they want to try to put you through their process or just move on.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

angryhedgehog

New

Post by angryhedgehog » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
abreidenbach419 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I don't know if your interview has occurred, but if not and you'd still like another data point feel free to PM.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:16 pm

Another datapoint would be helpful. Looks like I can't send PMs on TLS (too new an account or something), but whatever you are willing to share would be great.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:58 am
Anon because I’m an AUSA. “Best candidate” just means you meet the requirements, I’m afraid.

I’m not sure it makes sense to reach out to the recruiting contact in the second office based on anything less than an offer from the first office. Meeting the USA is a great sign but it’s not a guarantee. And the second office is extremely unlikely to fast track your application process at this point. If you’d already interviewed with the second office or something, sure. But not just being referred - their most likely reaction is to wish you well and proceed with other candidates.

If you get an offer from the first office I think it’s acceptable to ask for more time, then contact the second office. But I don’t think contacting the second office now will be at all fruitful. They’re not going to care if you’re a finalist in another office, they’re only going to care if you have an offer and they need to figure out if they want to try to put you through their process or just move on.
Also anon because also AUSA here. I would respectfully disagree with this take. While only anecdotal (though I suppose nearly all data on this process necessarily are), I know of several people who have had their processes fast-tracked because they got to late stages in other districts. For example, one person who interviewed with my office ended up having all three of the person's rounds crammed into the same day because there was an impending final round with a major DA's office. And I know of at least two other AUSAs in my office who were invited to have final rounds here on short notice and then were hired shortly thereafter because they informed the office of final round invitations at other offices. Competition between offices for attractive candidates is real.

This is all to say that I think there is some sense in reaching out to the major district office hiring coordinator. The call may be enough to get someone there to pull your application from the stack and make a quick decision as to whether it's worth bringing you in quickly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:39 pm

That makes sense, and different offices approach things differently. I will note, though, I don’t think we entirely disagree, because you reference the other AUSAs who were invited for “final” rounds at your office on short notice because of getting into the final rounds in other offices. That sounds like they’d already been interviewed once by your office, and I did say that if the OP had already interviewed with the second office, letting the second office know about being in a final round at the first would be different (and worthwhile). My sense is that the second office isn’t far enough in the process to have identified the OP as a desirable candidate, and at least the way the offices I know hire, it’s hard to fast track that part of the process (but very different if the OP has already made some kind of short list).

But obviously my anecdata are limited to my own experience and not at all universal. And I should also have said that I don’t think it would *hurt* to contact the second office, so especially if it will bring some peace of mind it may be worth it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:21 pm

Thanks for the advice all - I went ahead and contacted the hiring coordinator to (i) update them on my timeline and (ii) reiterate that the district was my top choice. Let's see if that gets me any traction. FWIW, I haven't had an interview yet with the more desirable district - but I think this strategy could at least get me a look. Now I just have to see what happens with my upcoming interview with the USA as far as a potential offer / timing.

rafeder2

New

Post by rafeder2 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:34 pm

angryhedgehog wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
abreidenbach419 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I don't know if your interview has occurred, but if not and you'd still like another data point feel free to PM.
A data point would still be help if you are willing. Not sure if you can send me a PM even if I'm not able.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:54 am

Has anyone heard anything from EDMI or EDVA? Nothing here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:58 am

I have not heard anything from EDVA. Been in referred status for 1.5 months.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:06 pm

EDVA has at least interviewed candidates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:41 pm

Have not heard anything from EDMI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:18 am

Anyone have further details where CD Cal is in the hiring process? I see some chatter here but not much info.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:58 pm

abreidenbach419 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:18 am
Anyone have further details where CD Cal is in the hiring process? I see some chatter here but not much info.
I had an interview a few months ago with the front office and the US Atty with no word since then. I finally plucked up the courage to ping them and got a rejection letter about a week later. But at least I now have some closure. Would suggest that if you are in the same boat to do the same and just reach out for an update (obviously politely worded); I don't see any issue with following up particularly if you made it all the way to a final interview.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”