AUSA/USAO hiring Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: AUSA/USAO hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:36 pm

If you apply to different branches of the same office (two different postings that went up almost at the same time), are your aps pending at both independently and contemporaneously?

Like if you get an interview with one but radio silence at the other, does that mean your whole package is now only pending in that branch…or is it completely separate from whatever is, or is not, going on with your ap at the other branch…or is your single interview the first interview for both branches?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:29 pm

I'm a 6th year big law associate and will be applying soon. My credentials are strong: HYS > SDNY/CD Cal and CA2/CA9 > reputable big law firm. My preferences are CD Cal > SDNY/EDNY > other California offices because of my wife and family. I interned at a USAO in a state that is not California or NY in law school, have a ton of connections at that office, and would consider the office if I don't get anything else.

Should I apply broadly to begin with, or should I begin by targeting my California and NY preferences? I'm a little nervous about the interviews and am thinking that interview experience with other offices will help me for any California and NY interviews that I may get. The downside of interviewing with offices that are not California or New York is potentially being put in a position to commit and having to burn bridges if I want to hold out for California or New York.

Any advice would be appreciated.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Tue May 17, 2022 4:37 pm

My search of this forum has some information about the timing between reference checks and offers. Has anyone had references called without getting an offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 17, 2022 9:18 pm

I *think* that in my district, references are checked before putting candidates forward to the US attorney, so that the USA has all the pertinent information and can just pick who they like. I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works. So under those circumstances, there'd be a couple of people who would get references checked and not get hired (we usually put 3 forward to the USA).

But this presumes that a district follows a process where they do initial interviews separately from USA interviews, and I don't know that all districts necessarily do.

My experience has been that they take reference checks seriously as a way to make a decision, not just as a box to check before an offer, so I think it's generally the case that they call references for all finalists. So I think generally it's a good sign, but not quite a guarantee of an offer. But I can't swear that that's universal.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Wed May 18, 2022 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 9:18 pm
I *think* that in my district, references are checked before putting candidates forward to the US attorney, so that the USA has all the pertinent information and can just pick who they like. I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works. So under those circumstances, there'd be a couple of people who would get references checked and not get hired (we usually put 3 forward to the USA).

But this presumes that a district follows a process where they do initial interviews separately from USA interviews, and I don't know that all districts necessarily do.

My experience has been that they take reference checks seriously as a way to make a decision, not just as a box to check before an offer, so I think it's generally the case that they call references for all finalists. So I think generally it's a good sign, but not quite a guarantee of an offer. But I can't swear that that's universal.
I think one of the things that’s hard about this process is that there are multiple practices across offices, or even across administrations in the same office. Relevant here, it sounds like there are at least 2 practices (1) call references before interviewing with USA-good sign, for sure, but ⅔ of the folks your office’s committee calls will not get the job, then (2) post USA interview reference checks, which sounds like a much better bet unless a reference tanks you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2022 1:40 pm

andythefir wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 1:31 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 9:18 pm

I think one of the things that’s hard about this process is that there are multiple practices across offices, or even across administrations in the same office. Relevant here, it sounds like there are at least 2 practices (1) call references before interviewing with USA-good sign, for sure, but ⅔ of the folks your office’s committee calls will not get the job, then (2) post USA interview reference checks, which sounds like a much better bet unless a reference tanks you.
"Better" in the sense of reading the tea leaves about where you are in the process, for sure, but neither is particularly better/worse from the perspective of the hiring office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2022 2:17 pm

Stupid question for someone interviewing for an AUSA job-- are moving expenses typically covered? And is the salary offer a firm price, or is there some wiggle room for negotiation?

Obviously these are tertiary concerns, but wanted to make sure I knew the landscape.

(Anon because don't want to out myself to interviewers)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2022 4:01 pm

Nope, moving expenses aren’t covered.

I don’t personally know anyone who’s negotiated salary, and I think it’s a firm price without wiggle room, but I don’t want to say that for 100% certain because it’s theoretically possible I’m missing something (I didn’t come over from biglaw so differently situated). FWIW, your pay grade is determined by your years of experience, so there’s a cap and a floor. I think they have to pay at least the 25th percentile of the grade, although offices can set that percentile higher. I think I have seen some reference to the possibility of a higher percentile within the pay grade for recruiting purposes, but I don’t have any personal knowledge of how that plays out and don’t think it’s common. I think the general approach is to start everyone at the same percentile, but I can’t rule out the possibility of any negotiation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:55 pm

Hello, does anyone know whether there has been any movement in CAND (N.D. Cal.) beyond interviews? Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:10 am

Can anyone speak to the Dallas office (generally) or whether there has been any movement on the Dallas office recent postings?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:23 pm

Does anyone have any insight into D.C. Superior Court AUSA hiring/interview timelines?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:39 pm

Echoing the above. What’s the timeline for hearing back about not getting or getting a second round interview for Superior Court?

Anonymous User

Re: AUSA/USAO hiring - References

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:18 pm

Hello, How important is it to list a current supervisor as a reference for an AUSA position? I'm in the final round and need to provide references but am reluctant to tip off my current supervisor in case I don't end up getting an offer. Is it just very bad form to not list your current supervisor? Thanks in advance.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Re: AUSA/USAO hiring - References

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:18 pm
Hello, How important is it to list a current supervisor as a reference for an AUSA position? I'm in the final round and need to provide references but am reluctant to tip off my current supervisor in case I don't end up getting an offer. Is it just very bad form to not list your current supervisor? Thanks in advance.
I don’t think it’s bad form and I think everyone gets why you may not yet want to disclose that you applied. It could be an issue if your current supervisor is literally the only person who can effectively speak to your practice skills, but I don’t think it looks bad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:21 am

Has anyone interviewed recently with the D.C. Superior Court division?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:23 pm
Does anyone have any insight into D.C. Superior Court AUSA hiring/interview timelines?
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:39 pm
Echoing the above. What’s the timeline for hearing back about not getting or getting a second round interview for Superior Court?
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:21 am
Kinda looks that way

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:29 am

Bumping to see if anyone had knowledge about the Superior court timeline?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:29 am
I don’t but I know quite a few Honors Attorneys are doing details with superior court for 6 months starting in October. I’m wondering if they are proceeding slowly because they’ll have help from those attorneys in the fall.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bump

jmin

New

Post by jmin » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:58 pm

Hi, Anyone know how you find out if you’ve been dinged after an interview with the USA? Is it via phone, email or snail mail? Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:02 pm

Has anyone interviewed with D.C. Superior Court and heard back regarding 2nd round interviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:02 pm
Has anyone interviewed with D.C. Superior Court and heard back regarding 2nd round interviews?
Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:21 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:26 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Bump
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Bump
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:29 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Bump
Bumping three days a week is unnecessary. This thread has been in the top ten of its subforum since the first quoted post—it isn’t dropping off the page. I get being anxious, but can you please stop taking it out on those of us who are subscribed to this thread?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:26 pm

Does anyone know how many rounds USAO DC takes to hire?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”