AUSA/USAO hiring Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: AUSA/USAO hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:34 pm

Are there others (beyond poster above) who recently made it to the final interview with the Acting USA, but then weeks of silence since? I'm in the same boat.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:27 pm

I'm a different, but similar boat... I have a pending offer right now (from December) with an office that is taking forever to get me through the final clearance process. I have no background problems whatsoever, and I keep checking in, but it seems like the agencies are just tied up with the change in Administration and transitions that have taken place. So, that may be what is going on - very frustrating! Any AUSAs have a similar experiences?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:31 pm

Honestly, it can just take a long time, especially when there’s an administration change. I have a colleague who was hired right at the end of 2016/beginning of 2017, and he started work in July 2017.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2021 5:41 pm

Does anyone have any general info on the hiring practices/timelines in ND Illinois? How soon after the "additional information" deadline does the office typically start interviewing?

caveman2

Bronze

Post by caveman2 » Fri May 07, 2021 1:20 pm

Does anyone know anything about N.D. Ga? How competitive is it getting in there?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 12, 2021 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:34 pm
Are there others (beyond poster above) who recently made it to the final interview with the Acting USA, but then weeks of silence since? I'm in the same boat.
Two people I know were given offers from Acting USAs (two different districts, both major cities) in the past few weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 14, 2021 10:35 am

Here's my recent hiring timeline:

- Applied to the posting on USAjobs before the holidays in Dec. 2020
- Received a phone call requesting to set up interview the second week of Jan. 2021
- Interviewed with Criminal Chief and three deputy chiefs the following week.
- Received a phone call requesting interview with USA/First Assistant the week after first interview.
- Interviewed with USA/First Assistant the second week of Feb. 2021.
- Received offer from USA during the last week of Feb.
- Submitted my eQip the second week of March.
- Received clearance the first week of May.

I had an unusually fast timeline...only about six months from application to start date.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 14, 2021 7:45 pm

Thanks. Can you share the general location of the office (Northeast, Midwest, West Coast etc.)? Also, is there anything in particular you would recommend for doing well during interviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 16, 2021 2:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:35 am
Here's my recent hiring timeline:

- Applied to the posting on USAjobs before the holidays in Dec. 2020
- Received a phone call requesting to set up interview the second week of Jan. 2021
- Interviewed with Criminal Chief and three deputy chiefs the following week.
- Received a phone call requesting interview with USA/First Assistant the week after first interview.
- Interviewed with USA/First Assistant the second week of Feb. 2021.
- Received offer from USA during the last week of Feb.
- Submitted my eQip the second week of March.
- Received clearance the first week of May.

I had an unusually fast timeline...only about six months from application to start date.
My experience is similar. Received three offers and they were all quick. I want to say around 2 months from application to final interview and offer.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu May 20, 2021 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 16, 2021 8:12 am

Thanks. When did you apply to the three components you referenced? This year? Last year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 20, 2021 12:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:12 am
Thanks. When did you apply to the three components you referenced? This year? Last year?
They were all within the last 2 months.

Bulldog99

New

Post by Bulldog99 » Thu May 20, 2021 8:12 am

Anyone know how competitive the ED of WA is? Or how quickly they review applications and extend interview requests?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 20, 2021 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:41 pm
Does anyone have any general info on the hiring practices/timelines in ND Illinois? How soon after the "additional information" deadline does the office typically start interviewing?
Did you apply, and have you gotten a request for additional information? I applied for the criminal vacancy in March and it's been radio silence since then. Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 20, 2021 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 10:55 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Did you apply, and have you gotten a request for additional information? I applied for the criminal vacancy in March and it's been radio silence since then. Thanks!
Yes to both.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 21, 2021 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 8:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes to both.
Did you apply to criminal or civil? And when did you receive the additional information request?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 21, 2021 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 10:36 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 8:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes to both.
Did you apply to criminal or civil? And when did you receive the additional information request?
Applied to both divisions but only got the request from one. I received the request approximately 6 weeks after I submitted my application.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 26, 2021 11:47 pm

Just a general question.

Just graduated top 5% at my T2 school. I have a District court clerkship and a circuit court clerkship (non prestigious circuits/judges)

I was recently faced with opportunity to: 1. Pursue third COA clerkship (another non prestigious judge in a different non prestigious circuit, or 2. Practice at a well respected local firm.

Wondering which of these opportunities will set me up better to be a criminal AUSA. Or is it possible that my credentials as they are will already be okay to eventually get the job either post-clerkship or after a few years.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 27, 2021 8:20 am

It’s fairly unlikely you’ll get an AUSA gig post-clerkship without some practice experience (if you’re thinking of honors, not that many offices hire out of honors). So I would work on the assumption that you’ll need to find another choice (and then if you don’t that’s great). And I don’t think a second COA would be at all helpful - if you really want to do it, I don’t think it would hurt you, but I don’t think it would add anything at all. Personally I’d line up doing the respected local firm. If you want to be an AUSA in that district, connections are helpful; even if not, I think it will be way more pertinent experience. Clerking is great, but it’s not practice.

Besides, after the clerkships you may well end up going somewhere else - you may well have other firm options if you want those.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:29 am

I had a second round interview with 5 AUSA's and the 1st Assistant in mid-May, and was asked that same day to meet with the Acting US Attorney the following week. I did so, but it's been radio silence since 5/28/21.

Does anyone with hiring experience have any input? Assuming the final interview went well, I didn't expect to hear anything back immediatly, but I thought I would have received a response in at least or a week or so.

Thanks for the feedback!

ziko41

New

Post by ziko41 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:28 pm

Deleted

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:37 am

What does it take to be competitive for a ‘top’ major city district? I’m a ‘17 graduate from a T6 (honors) whose worked at Bl for a number of years, with a District Court and COA clerkship under my belt (both from traditionally well-regarded districts/circuits; think CDCA/NDCA/EDNY). Would these credentials get me through the door at, say, the SDNY or EDNY USAO?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:36 am

Any movement out of d mass?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:49 am

If you go through the interview process with an office and do not get selected, would it be a waste of time to apply for future postings with that office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:19 pm

Absolutely not a waste to apply again to an office that rejected you before.

I’m currently an AUSA in a fairly large district, and it’s shocking to me some of the folks who applied here multiple times before getting in. Some of the brightest, best attorneys we’ve got didn’t get in the first time.

You have no idea who else is applying at the same time you are. It could be a local DJ’s clerk, it could be a lateral AUSA with a specific skill set that the office needs. You might just not fit the hiring profile at that specific moment. If you want to be an AUSA and you want to be in that office, definitely don’t give up applying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:51 pm

I am a current SDNY clerk. Would it be a disadvantage if I don't have a COA clerkship? Many thanks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”