Veterans' Board of Appeals Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Veterans' Board of Appeals

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:07 pm

Sorry for the messy post above. It only allows up to 7 responses with quotes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry for the messy post above. It only allows up to 7 responses with quotes.
The phone interview will be your only interview, yes. As of now, DC is slated to open on May 15. But you may start even earlier than that since it's quite easy to be an attorney there and telework. A friend of mine works there, has been there for 4 years, and has been teleworking 100% after her first year.

AnonLawStudent

New

Post by AnonLawStudent » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sorry for the messy post above. It only allows up to 7 responses with quotes.
The phone interview will be your only interview, yes. As of now, DC is slated to open on May 15. But you may start even earlier than that since it's quite easy to be an attorney there and telework. A friend of mine works there, has been there for 4 years, and has been teleworking 100% after her first year.

That’s what I was thinking, that it may be remote to start in the meantime. I’m still not sure that’s something I’d like doing long-term but the benefits do sound great. Thanks for your input and good luck with whatever you decide!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:24 am

Did anyone else get an official offer? I did, and it lists start dates in early June. But, I'm still taking the bar in July and was NOT planning on working during bar prep. Does anyone know if they're flexible with start dates?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone else get an official offer? I did, and it lists start dates in early June. But, I'm still taking the bar in July and was NOT planning on working during bar prep. Does anyone know if they're flexible with start dates?
I work for another agency and they did not budge with the start date. Had to prep for bar while working, it sucks but its doable. The thing you have to realize is that it takes a lot of effort to get anything changed with HR, you can pester them but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone else get an official offer? I did, and it lists start dates in early June. But, I'm still taking the bar in July and was NOT planning on working during bar prep. Does anyone know if they're flexible with start dates?
Whoa. So, the bar is in July, yet the Board is requiring you to work regardless? That's madness. Yes, you need to get on the phone with HR quickly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I work for another agency and they did not budge with the start date. Had to prep for bar while working, it sucks but its doable. The thing you have to realize is that it takes a lot of effort to get anything changed with HR, you can pester them but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Did you start as an attorney or a clerk? I could (kind of) understand for an attorney position, but this is specifically a recent grad, pre-bar, Law Clerk position. Which also means that there's going to be a full class of clerks in this situation... which also greatly increases the likelihood of multiple clerks failing.

Also - when did you get your start date in relation to bar prep? The kicker about this is that I won't be able to start bar prep early if I have to start in June because I didn't find out about the start date until finals.

AnonLawStudent

New

Post by AnonLawStudent » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Did you start as an attorney or a clerk? I could (kind of) understand for an attorney position, but this is specifically a recent grad, pre-bar, Law Clerk position. Which also means that there's going to be a full class of clerks in this situation... which also greatly increases the likelihood of multiple clerks failing.

Also - when did you get your start date in relation to bar prep? The kicker about this is that I won't be able to start bar prep early if I have to start in June because I didn't find out about the start date until finals.
DC cancelled the July bar exam. Is your jurisdiction still having the exam? A lot of states are looking into other alternatives.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:11 pm

AnonLawStudent wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

DC cancelled the July bar exam. Is your jurisdiction still having the exam? A lot of states are looking into other alternatives.
Yes, still July. And I'd be shocked if that changed. Actually both surrounding states Virginia and Maryland are still on for July. I also don't think they moved up start dates because of Covid bar changes, since HR said they get this question a lot (though they failed to tell me what they do about it). I also don't know whether that many people who outright take the DC bar for federal jobs since you can have any state and DC is easy to transfer/waive in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AnonLawStudent

New

Post by AnonLawStudent » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AnonLawStudent wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes, still July. And I'd be shocked if that changed. Actually both surrounding states Virginia and Maryland are still on for July. I also don't think they moved up start dates because of Covid bar changes, since HR said they get this question a lot (though they failed to tell me what they do about it). I also don't know whether that many people who outright take the DC bar for federal jobs since you can have any state and DC is easy to transfer/waive in.
Yeah, that sucks. So did the HR say that the start date is non-negotiable? They should just start 2020 grads in August.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:37 pm

That is ridiculous. I received an offer but they haven't confirmed my start date. If they are firm on the June start, I'd most likely decline. Bar studying is a serious commitment and seems impossible to do while working full-time.

Hoping they can negotiate! Maybe if multiple people ask for August/September starts, they'd be willing to postpone start date so they can onboard everyone on time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That is ridiculous. I received an offer but they haven't confirmed my start date. If they are firm on the June start, I'd most likely decline. Bar studying is a serious commitment and seems impossible to do while working full-time.

Hoping they can negotiate! Maybe if multiple people ask for August/September starts, they'd be willing to postpone start date so they can onboard everyone on time.
It's not even the working full time - I know that may people do that. It's the STARTING a new job during prep. I will also most-likely withdraw acceptance if they force a real June start, but I'd be fine "starting" in June if I could take LWOP until August.

Please update when you get a firm date. I'd really like to know what others are doing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes I started as a law clerk since I was straight out of law school. My situation was very similar to yours in terms of timeline.

I'd also be concerned with a hiring freeze due to the pandemic, so if they can't get you on-boarded by a certain date, you are in a bind, so I think there is some upside to having an earlier start date.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AnonLawStudent

New

Post by AnonLawStudent » Sat May 02, 2020 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Hey, so I got the job. As of now June is the start date. That’s great about working from home! Is it limited to the local area or could she move anywhere in the US and work from home?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 03, 2020 4:44 am

AnonLawStudent wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Hey, so I got the job. As of now June is the start date. That’s great about working from home! Is it limited to the local area or could she move anywhere in the US and work from home?
Congratulations on getting the job. You can move anywhere in the US for telework purposes once you go on full telework schedule after a year or so. However, I must caution that the Board will reduce (or increase) your salary based on the prevailing rate in whatever locale you choose.

AnonLawStudent

New

Post by AnonLawStudent » Sun May 03, 2020 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AnonLawStudent wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Congratulations on getting the job. You can move anywhere in the US for telework purposes once you go on full telework schedule after a year or so. However, I must caution that the Board will reduce (or increase) your salary based on the prevailing rate in whatever locale you choose.
Thank you, I understand. Either way, the option of being able to move freely is a great perk!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 13, 2020 6:30 pm

For those of you who got official offers, are they having you telework from day one? If so, how do you feel about it?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 18, 2020 12:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:37 pm
That is ridiculous. I received an offer but they haven't confirmed my start date. If they are firm on the June start, I'd most likely decline. Bar studying is a serious commitment and seems impossible to do while working full-time.

Hi, I'm the anon who originally posted about start dates this cycle. I asked my HR person to move to August, and they did. So, if you're worried about it, they are willing to help. It took a couple emails to kind of get everyone on the same page with what I was actually requesting (you need to specifically ask HR to present a request to the Board to move your start date, NOT ask what they generally do for new law grads or anything vague like that), but apparently they approve these requests all the time. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2020 12:49 pm

So...my writing sample wasn't quite finished (but I had a conclusion)...you think my application would be thrown out because my writing sample is not "finished"? Writing sample also had 2 minor typos (a comma and an extra word)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:16 pm

For anyone who started in June, are you doing orientation from home or are they having us come into the office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:16 pm
For anyone who started in June, are you doing orientation from home or are they having us come into the office?

All remote for now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:32 am

Just received a TO for the BVA attorney advisor. (Applied for the March-April 2020 positing). How long did it take to get a final offer? I have submitted OF306 and Fingerprints, and I am waiting on EQIP credentials.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:32 am
Just received a TO for the BVA attorney advisor. (Applied for the March-April 2020 positing). How long did it take to get a final offer? I have submitted OF306 and Fingerprints, and I am waiting on EQIP credentials.

2-3 weeks assuming your record is clean.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Also, congrats! It’s a great position

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
When did you receive an interview offer?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”