Veterans' Board of Appeals Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Veterans' Board of Appeals

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 04, 2015 2:29 pm

Did anyone else interview for an entry-level position in DC? I was told they are "going to move pretty quickly" but am wondering what that means in terms of a timeline for offers. Any other thoughts on working here are also welcome.

Anonymous User

Re: Veterans' Board of Appeals

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 04, 2015 3:56 pm

From what I understand it's very similar to SSA attorney-advisor just a different disability program, you're basically a decision writer for an ALJ.

Not sure what it means that they opened the announcement up for 2 more weeks

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/402598800

they may be trying to hire a whole lot of people, or they don't feel like they got the applicants they wanted the first go around

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 04, 2015 3:58 pm

curious if they said anything to you about promotion potential during the interview, a 0905 attorney being capped at GS-9 seems a little absurd

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 04, 2015 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From what I understand it's very similar to SSA attorney-advisor just a different disability program, you're basically a decision writer for an ALJ.

Not sure what it means that they opened the announcement up for 2 more weeks

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/402598800

they may be trying to hire a whole lot of people, or they don't feel like they got the applicants they wanted the first go around
OP here. Weird.. It looks like the position you linked to is for the Correspondence Section, doing work sort of supporting the other branches of the Board of Appeals (the VA is HUGE). The position I interviewed for is what you described, though, basically research and writing decisions on appeals for the ALJs to sign, etc. I think it was actually only posted through law schools, and not usajobs. The other differences are that it has a GS-14 promotional potential and the number of positions was "many."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 05, 2015 12:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:curious if they said anything to you about promotion potential during the interview, a 0905 attorney being capped at GS-9 seems a little absurd
+1. Being capped at GS-9 for an attorney position is really absurd (especially in DC). Imagine they have a ton of turnover if that's true.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 05, 2015 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:curious if they said anything to you about promotion potential during the interview, a 0905 attorney being capped at GS-9 seems a little absurd
+1. Being capped at GS-9 for an attorney position is really absurd (especially in DC). Imagine they have a ton of turnover if that's true.
OP here. Actually, the position I interviewed for and the position linked to by the first responding poster differ. The position I interviewed for has a promotional potential of GS-14. I do agree that a GS-9 cap would be pretty ridiculous.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:24 pm

Hey, did you ever get an offer from them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:52 pm

OP here - Yes I did. I'm coming off of a one-year clerkship and have nothing else lined up, so I'm pretty sure I will take it. Just slightly concerned about the job not really being an experience that is marketable in terms of getting other jobs later on, as well as picking up and moving to DC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:22 pm

OP, Congrats! I interviewed too, but haven't heard yet. How did you get notified and when do you have to decide by?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:17 pm

Thank you! Yeah I feel pretty lucky to have landed a fed job without really having the credentials for it. Still concerned about the narrowness/repetitive nature of the job though. I got a call from HR about two weeks after the interview, but I know they are hiring a lot of attorneys so who knows whether or not everyone is on the same timeline. I was not given a deadline to decide, but feel like I have pretty much accepted it by starting the paperwork. They seem pretty disorganized and like they might not even notice if I backed out, but I probably won't at this point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:07 pm

Has anyone interviewed recently for BVA and heard back?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:10 pm

Bump, anyone?

JDMaryland

New

Post by JDMaryland » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:07 pm

I did last week. Haven't heard anything yet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:34 am

JDMaryland wrote:I did last week. Haven't heard anything yet.
Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:15 pm

I had an interview with them a few weeks ago and got an acceptance phone call the next morning

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:25 pm

I've asked attorneys in the federal government about the attorney advisor position with the BVA, and it garners a greater deal of respect than the SSA attorney advisor positions. The VA is an enormous agency, and attorney advisors have the possibility of applying internally to different positions within the VA dealing with employment and labor law, medical malpractice, clinical research contracting, legislation, etc., making you more attractive to other agencies depending on what fields you gain experience in.

usproud

New

Post by usproud » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had an interview with them a few weeks ago and got an acceptance phone call the next morning
Congrats!! I will have an interview soon, how was your experience in the interview?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:49 pm

Anyone know how long it takes for the background check to clear? I did my fingerprints about a week after receiving a TO, but haven't heard anything further.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know how long it takes for the background check to clear? I did my fingerprints about a week after receiving a TO, but haven't heard anything further.
My background check took about 2 weeks.

Regarding the interview, I felt it was pretty straightforward. No surprises.

Good luck to everyone!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:25 pm

I have an interview coming up soon! Since there are many positions open, I hope we all get offers. Lol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:56 am

Can anyone who had an interview comment with the type of questions they asked and whether they actually stick to the 15 min time slot or go longer? Also, how many people interview you?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

usproud

New

Post by usproud » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone who had an interview comment with the type of questions they asked and whether they actually stick to the 15 min time slot or go longer? Also, how many people interview you?
It was very straightforward about your experience and qualification. My interview was exactly 15 min and interviewed by a very friendly panel of 3.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:34 pm

Does anyone know how the hiring freeze that may be implemented by the new administration will affect the hiring for these positions?

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:51 am

Literally no one knows.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 17, 2017 1:40 pm

I have an interview coming up. Total long shot application, this would be a dream job. I'd kill to work in the federal government. Is the interview truly just a getting to know you/resume scanner? Does being military go a long way in these interviews? I'm a reserve officer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”