Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:54 am

Interestingly, I noticed the following on the USAJobs posting for this position.

"These positions are projected to start in April 2023."

Looking back at the prior posts on the board, hires were given a March start date last cycle.

Link here: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/687879400#summary

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:08 am
Has anyone heard back yet? Sorry, my anxiety is getting the best of me.
glad i’m not the only one
Someone on Reddit says they heard three days ago that they were selected for an interview, but this person's numbers from last year are way off (unless they are talking about law clerks from last year, but 480 applicants and 50 interviews for two spots does not compute with any numbers I was told by hiring managers), and they also think the USPTO issues copyrights, so I don't know if we can rely on them. https://www.reddit.com/r/usajobs/commen ... ?context=3

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:25 am

JDMaryland wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:39 pm
Happy NYE! I have a few questions and would appreciate any insight:

1. Any insight into the interview questions? Are they mainly behavioral?

2. Does anyone know if USPTO will negotiate steps for current federal employees?

3. For recent hires, how has virtual training been?
2. They don’t. Everyone starts at GS-11 step 1. Be prepared to be asked about a pay cut if you’re currently above that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:08 am
Has anyone heard back yet? Sorry, my anxiety is getting the best of me.
glad i’m not the only one
Someone on Reddit says they heard three days ago that they were selected for an interview, but this person's numbers from last year are way off (unless they are talking about law clerks from last year, but 480 applicants and 50 interviews for two spots does not compute with any numbers I was told by hiring managers), and they also think the USPTO issues copyrights, so I don't know if we can rely on them. https://www.reddit.com/r/usajobs/commen ... ?context=3
I think this person must mean "referred to selecting official" because the USPTO does not use the construction "referred" in the context of interviews. It's "We have reviewed your application and are pleased to invite you to participate in our interview process.

toplee86

New

Post by toplee86 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:21 am

has anyone received an interview offer?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:07 pm

toplee86 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:21 am
I have not heard anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:28 pm

Nothing here either. I think based on the timeline, interview offers will start going out next week.

Any idea how many people they are looking to hire this time around?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:07 pm
toplee86 wrote:
I also have not heard anything. It's comforting to know others haven't, but that could just mean that they dislike all three of us. Lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:58 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:07 pm
toplee86 wrote:
I also have not heard anything. It's comforting to know others haven't, but that could just mean that they dislike all three of us. Lol
I also have not heard anything. That makes four of us lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:28 pm
Nothing here either. I think based on the timeline, interview offers will start going out next week.

My suspicion is this class will be larger than normal. I attended a "Becoming a trademark attorney" panel in November where we they stated they were looking to hire "as many as possible." In addition, according the USAJobs posting, the position is set to begin in April, instead of March, when prior "classes" of trademark examining attorneys have started (maybe to accommodate more interviews).

There was a really smart post earlier in the thread that pointed out the budget does not appear to have changed from prior FYs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

My suspicion is this class will be larger than normal. I attended a "Becoming a trademark attorney" panel in November where we they stated they were looking to hire "as many as possible." In addition, according the USAJobs posting, the position is set to begin in April, instead of March, when prior "classes" of trademark examining attorneys have started (maybe to accommodate more interviews).

There was a really smart post earlier in the thread that pointed out the budget does not appear to have changed from prior FYs.
I have also not yet heard. Forty-nine(!) days elapsed between the request for the written statement and interview invitation the last time I applied. We seem to be on track for that this round, which would mean that interview invitations will go out around Feb. 2. Also, thanks for calling my earlier post "really smart"--that made my morning!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:09 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I have also not yet heard. Forty-nine(!) days elapsed between the request for the written statement and interview invitation the last time I applied. We seem to be on track for that this round, which would mean that interview invitations will go out around Feb. 2. Also, thanks for calling my earlier post "really smart"--that made my morning!
Sorry if you've already mentioned this in a previous post, but any insights you'd be willing to share about the interview process based on your first time applying?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:53 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sorry if you've already mentioned this in a previous post, but any insights you'd be willing to share about the interview process based on your first time applying?
I could try (and I have a bit, supra, and it's been more than one time for me), but I haven't managed to get the job yet, so I don't know how useful that would be. I wish current or former examiners could spell out what managers are actually looking for, but every examiner I've ever talked to has no idea how/why they got the job, and many say they left the interview thinking they weren't going to get it. This doesn't exactly inspire confidence about the process.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:04 pm

I could try (and I have a bit, supra, and it's been more than one time for me), but I haven't managed to get the job yet, so I don't know how useful that would be. I wish current or former examiners could spell out what managers are actually looking for, but every examiner I've ever talked to has no idea how/why they got the job, and many say they left the interview thinking they weren't going to get it. This doesn't exactly inspire confidence about the process.
This is what I have heard as well, even people who interviewed multiple times couldn't identify what they did differently across their interviews - I think it varies greatly from manager to manager, making it difficult to pin down.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is my 4th time applying, I’m a former pathways intern. I haven’t heard anything yet, hoping to hear some good news soon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:52 am

Now that we've hit the six week mark since written statements were due, anyone hear anything? Either from the agency or from anyone on the inside?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:55 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:36 pm

Interview invites are going out now. Congrats to everyone who got one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:43 pm

As an update: I received an interview selection email today at 2:57 pm. Good luck, everyone!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:25 pm

Does anyone know if they send interview invites in waves?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:25 pm
Does anyone know if they send interview invites in waves?
Historically they do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:17 am

No interview email here. May try again next go around but this was my fourth time. Good luck to all that got an interview!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:51 pm

does anyone know how long it takes until the final offer after the interview? do they give you enough time to give two weeks notice to your employer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:17 am
No interview email here. May try again next go around but this was my fourth time. Good luck to all that got an interview!
I heard interview requests go out in waves. I have not heard anything yet either. For those that got interview requests, when did you submit a written response?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”