Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:21 pm

Those who submitted written statements already-- have you received word for interviews yet?

PinkHairDontCare

New

Post by PinkHairDontCare » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:21 pm
Those who submitted written statements already-- have you received word for interviews yet?
I submitted mine. Last time around, for me, there was about a month between submission deadline and request for interview, but so far, they seem to be moving faster this time around.

SammyCitrus

New

Post by SammyCitrus » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:15 pm

No word back yet!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:32 pm

SammyCitrus wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:15 pm
No word back yet!
Here either.

Motion22Step

New

Post by Motion22Step » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:32 pm
SammyCitrus wrote:
No word back yet!
Here either.

Same :cry:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:56 pm

Motion22Step wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:35 am
Anonymous User wrote:
SammyCitrus wrote:
No word back yet!
Here either.

No word here yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:56 pm
Motion22Step wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:35 am
Anonymous User wrote:
SammyCitrus wrote:
No word back yet!
Here either.

No word here yet.
ditto

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:57 pm

any hits this week?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:12 pm

Nothing yet :-/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:57 pm
any hits this week?
Not here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:49 am

I received an email last night to schedule an interview in early August. This is my 3rd or 4th time applying, second time interviewing. I used the same cover letter as last time I applied and wasn’t selected to interview that time, which solidifies my belief that there is no rhyme or reason to the initial selection process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:25 pm

I saw that someone got an email to schedule an interview last night. For people who have applied before, do they usually send out the interview requests at once or in waves?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:25 pm
I saw that someone got an email to schedule an interview last night. For people who have applied before, do they usually send out the interview requests at once or in waves?
Looking at past cycles on this post, it looks like they come in waves.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:49 am
I received an email last night to schedule an interview in early August. This is my 3rd or 4th time applying, second time interviewing. I used the same cover letter as last time I applied and wasn’t selected to interview that time, which solidifies my belief that there is no rhyme or reason to the initial selection process.
Make that "there is no rhyme or reason to the entire process." Someone years ago on this thread said the USPTO's hiring decisions make absolutely no sense, and that is borne out every cycle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:02 pm

Does anybody know if the interviews use a standard list of questions or if the questions are left up to the interviewer(s)?
If there is standardization, is that list of questions available somewhere?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:14 pm

has anyone else received interview offers? I applied for a law clerk position & submitted the written statement but haven't heard anything back yet

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:02 pm
Does anybody know if the interviews use a standard list of questions or if the questions are left up to the interviewer(s)?
The following is all my experience during the last cycle:

It was a 5 (?) panel web interview. Everyone was still on the maximum work from home, so I don't know if they plan to have the same format going forward. 4 of the interviewers were supervisors, 1 was a trainer. They were all very nice, only 1 gave me a "walls up" feeling, but since I didn't get the job, who knows. I didn't ask for feedback after the decision was made, which is apparently something you can do according to the USAJobs reddit (BUT, they were discussing fed. jobs in general, and there is a lot about this process that doesn't seem to match other fed. job experiences, so again...who knows?)

The questions in the interview were pretty closely tied to my resume, letter and written statement. In fact, one of the interviewers quoted directly from my cover letter when asking me a question and they directly referenced other items and experience.

I had planned and practiced behavioral interview questions (tell me about a time when you...) except there were 0 behavioral questions, which threw me off (I also haven't had a formal interview in 15 years, this is a mid-career change for me, after working at a firm since 2005, so I found the whole thing overwhelming and brand new). There weren't even questions that I could really answer in a STAR format. They asked me about billable hours at the firm, how long I'd been part time vs. full time, how did I think I would react if my supervisor overruled my conclusions for a mark, how would I keep myself engaged in the virtual training, what did I think the job of an examiner entailed, how do I stay organized, what were my concerns about the job, what were my career goals within the USPTO and, of course, whether or not I had any questions. (All my questions for them were geared towards a 1:1 interview, so I froze.) I don't think any of the questions were tied to actually convincing them my education and experience meant I could do the actual job, they may be more looking for personality "fit" since they provide complete training for the position.

I don't know what to expect this time around if I get an interview. The questions for the written statements weren't the same as they were the last go around (I'm assuming they're standardized across all applicants each cycle, but I could be wrong). They were similar enough that I was able to use the core from the last cycle, but it had to be re-written to fit the new questions...which may have been more frustrating than just answering completely novel questions.

I'd be interested to hearing others' experiences as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:20 pm

Had an Interview yesterday. Don't feel good about it. All questions were pretty standard and I was prepared for them but it all seemed a little rushed which contributed to the pressure and I froze up quite a bit. They said that I should not expect to hear back until mid-August and that yesterday was the first day of interviews. A little discouraging seeing that other people here have applied 4+ times with no luck. Holding out hope but it feels like a lost cause. Sigh

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:49 am
Make that "there is no rhyme or reason to the entire process." Someone years ago on this thread said the USPTO's hiring decisions make absolutely no sense, and that is borne out every cycle.
The people making the decisions never should have been hired in the first place.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:09 pm

For anyone who has received an interview request, how were you contacted?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:42 pm

Has anyone heard any more news/interv. requests?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:42 pm
Has anyone heard any more news/interv. requests?
Nope. At this point, I'm going to assume that I'm not moving forward with an interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I don't think any of the questions were tied to actually convincing them my education and experience meant I could do the actual job, they may be more looking for personality "fit" since they provide complete training for the position.

They ought to spend a bit more time assessing this given that many people they do hire don't survive the probation period because they are unable to apply trademark law, make too many mistakes, and/or go too slowly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
It was a 5 (?) panel web interview. Everyone was still on the maximum work from home, so I don't know if they plan to have the same format going forward. 4 of the interviewers were supervisors, 1 was a trainer. They were all very nice, only 1 gave me a "walls up" feeling, but since I didn't get the job, who knows. I didn't ask for feedback after the decision was made, which is apparently something you can do according to the USAJobs reddit (BUT, they were discussing fed. jobs in general, and there is a lot about this process that doesn't seem to match other fed. job experiences, so again...who knows?)

The USPTO will not give feedback; it can barely be bothered to send form "referred not selected" letters (even to those who interviewed and were thus, in fact, selected) until new hires have actually started / the day it reposts the vacancy announcement. If pressed for feedback, I don't think the hiring managers would be able to articulate anything rational. They often say things like: "We are interviewing 150 people. How are we going to remember you?" ...which doesn't exactly inspire confidence in their ranking people against each other. I would think of it more like peremptory strikes for jury section and the "any reason / no reason" standard of employment at will.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”