Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:48 am

Applied to the law clerk position, was referred, and submitted the written statement. I interned with the PTO in the summer of 2019. I spoke with someone in HR last week and was told that interviews started 2 weeks ago but the officials weren't done selecting yet. I have not heard anything since I submitted my written statement, except for my convo with HR, and am starting to wonder if I should expect anything but a rejection.

blessedbethefruit4

New

Post by blessedbethefruit4 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:28 pm

I also applied for the law clerk posting because I hadn’t yet gotten my bar results at the time I applied. I did my interview 2 weeks ago.
Of course that doesn’t necessarily mean that’s a rejection for anyone else, just trying to serve as a data point

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:37 am
Happy Monday morning. Has anyone heard back about tentative offers? I think in my interview they said interviews were going to the end of the month so expecting to hear back in the next 2 weeks, but the wait is killing me.
I had my interview during the second week of January, for the Attorney Advisor position, and have yet to hear back one way or the other. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:24 pm

My interview was 3rd week of January, still haven't heard anything. Fingers crossed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:37 pm

Can someone from the most recently hired Class(es) give perspective on how their job has been at the USPTO? Was it what you thought it'd be like?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:39 pm

Michigan Biglaw associate here again. Still haven't heard anything either. Getting antsy! Good luck to everyone!

uwtrademark

New

Post by uwtrademark » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:50 pm

same here @ Michigan Big Law. I've given them till mid-February before I start getting worried. LOL.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:20 pm

No recently hired examiners can weigh in on their experiences and work/life balance? Sheesh.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:17 pm

I doubt many of them still browse this board now that they have been hired.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:55 pm

No, a lot of examiners helped out in the past to share their experiences. They especially helped the classes that were recently hired. Any new examiners care to shed light on starting a job during a pandemic? Was the job what you expected?

dokhada

New

Post by dokhada » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:31 pm

The following statements reflect my own opinions and are not endorsed by the USPTO.

I started not too long ago, but prior to the pandemic. The job is exactly what I thought it would be. Some people love the it. Others hate it.

It’s difficult in the beginning to get your bearings. There are production quotas that are challenging to meet, especially as a new examiner. Nearly everyone I know was extremely stressed out in their early months trying to meet the quotas. But they all got there, one way or another.

After a year or two, things begin to “click”, and it becomes a whole lot easier for most examiners. There’s always quotas to meet, but you learn on the job how to meet them. You start learning things from other examiners. You figure out what works for you. It’s all trial and error. Once you figure out how to handle everything, the work-life balance is amazing.

Thanks to the flexible work policies, you can set your own hours, work full time from home, and take long weekends or mid-week breaks without using up your leave days... as long as you get 80 hours of work in during a biweek. You don’t have to check emails when you’re not working. You don’t have to think about work at all, unless you want to. This means I have far more time on my hands than my peers working in law firms. But I did go through a lot of emotional ups and downs while figuring out what works for me.

One thing I love about the job is that you know exactly what is expected of you, and by when, and how to get there. The work itself is not difficult, although the quantity can be a lot. But as long as I meet the goals set for me by the Office within the Office’s deadlines, I can feel secure in the position. That’s important to me.

Finally, I don’t think you can truly know whether you like the work until you get to examine with full signatory authority. Until that point, you have a mentor or senior checking a lot of your work, and you end up taking their examining styles into consideration before deciding how to act. This can cause you to second guess yourself a lot.

I personally love the job and wouldn’t trade it for anything else. On the other hand, a close friend of mine hated it and left after a year. Hope this helps!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:18 pm

Thanks! Very informative. Everyone has met production then? Reassuring!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:27 pm

Soft offer today pending reference check :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:51 pm

Really? Was it HR that called you or someone else?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:03 pm

Congratulations! When did you interview? Has anyone else heard anything? Nothing yet here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:35 am

also got my soft offer today. I am so excited to meet y’all!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:31 am

I’m the same anon who just posted at 12:35am

to answer others’ questions:

- call came from HR (area code was 571, as others before mentioned)
- my interview was Jan 13

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:34 am

I got a call too. It was NOT from HR. It was directly from the manager attorney who is interested in hiring me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:43 pm

Congrats to all that got soft offers. I was told they were hiring class of 50 and interviewing 150. Haven’t heard anything yet...wondering if all calls were made today and if there is any rhyme or reason to the order? I interviewed third week of Jan.

Pigletsmother

New

Post by Pigletsmother » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:04 pm

I'm the first person who posted about my soft offer. I got an offer from the senior attorney! The managing attorney called today to say he spoke with my references and instructed HR to send my official offer.

Shoot me a message if you think you'll be part of the incoming class and want to chat!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:43 pm
Congrats to all that got soft offers. I was told they were hiring class of 50 and interviewing 150. Haven’t heard anything yet...wondering if all calls were made today and if there is any rhyme or reason to the order? I interviewed third week of Jan.
I interviewed third week of January too and haven't heard anything...fingers crossed for both of us!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:20 am

A new week- hopeful for good news for those of us still waiting to hear back!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:53 pm

Has anyone received an official offer from HR (after your references were contacted)? Just wondering what that process/conversation was like.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:13 pm

I received a call from a managing attorney on Tuesday asking if I was still interested in the position. He then told me would be contacting my references this week and that I should give them a heads up. I have been waiting on a call from a 571 number for weeks, so thanks whoever gave the area code headsup.

I was a little too excited to ask for more information. I don't know whether this was a "soft offer" or not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:45 pm

I also got a call last week. My references told me they have been contacted and now I'm just anxiously waiting on next steps.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”