Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:04 am

Wondering if anyone who interviewed this round has heard back? I had my interview last week and they said they would be notifying folks mid-August.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:55 am

Interviewed in July; reference checks in August. Offer pending(?!) for autumn start date.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:02 pm

I interviewed in late July.
They checked my references early this week and then made an offer of employment (pending results of background check) yesterday for October start.

toplee86

New

Post by toplee86 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:17 pm

does anyone know whether they are offering a full remote working for incoming advisors?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:45 am

Yes, it is fully remote—even training. I think you have the option of working in the Virginia building, but no expectation of doing so.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

forthecause

New

Post by forthecause » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:36 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:12 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:42 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:32 pm

I completely disagree with this person. I've been here a year now, and it is fantastic. I only know one person who was let go-- I asked them why and I found out that the quality of their work was very sub-par. They were unable to improve within the year. They just didn't understand how to apply trademark law.
I'm curious what sort of quality issues would cause someone to be dismissed after their first year. The production pace is what everyone seems to talk about.
Reading the quoted portion for the second time, I keep shaking my head. How can a thirty minute conversation possibly reveal someone's ability to do this job, especially when the hiring managers seem to prefer people who smile and say they just want to help to people who ask specific, substantive questions?
For this sort of job, I think maybe some kind of actual writing test would be better than interviews - since all they supposedly care about is PRODUCTION PRODUCTION PRODUCTION. There are people that interview well and perform badly, and vice versa.

I hear that the Board of Veterans Appeals has something kind of writing test now. Maybe USPTO could give you a few selections from the TMEP to read through, a "toy" trademark application example with a handful of issues, and a set amount of time to write an office action or something. Can you IRAC??
Current BVA atty here and stumbled upon this forum. Yes, BVA has a writing test…they give you 1 hour to complete the written exercise and submit. If you submit after 1 hr, you are disqualified automatically.
Looking for some info on bva if you’re still active on here (or if anyone else reading knows!). Has such a bad reputation it seems but it sounds like a dream job: 4 days per week, remote from anywhere, and gs11-15. What am I missing that has everyone so turned off? Also, how competitive is it for someone from a T1/T2? What sort of class rank will it require? What sort of summer positions does it require, if any? Etc (I have a military service history if that makes a difference). Thanks

forthecause

New

Post by forthecause » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:45 am
Yes, it is fully remote—even training. I think you have the option of working in the Virginia building, but no expectation of doing so.
Fully remote as in live anywhere in the country or do you have to be living near some office that employs you?
Also, how do you think this job compares with BVA in regards to hours per week and competitiveness to land the job?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:39 pm

New posting for April 2023 start:

https://www.usajobs.gov/job/687879400

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:39 pm

Regarding the GS-09 law clerk position, am I not eligible if I won't have a JD until December?
https://www.usajobs.gov/job/687878700

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:42 pm

Regarding this law clerk position - https://www.usajobs.gov/job/687878700

It says you have to have a JD, but licensed attorneys are encouraged to apply for the other position. Does this mean that those who earn their JD in December are not eligible? I'm having a difficult time understanding who exactly is eligible to apply except those who either failed or deferred the bar in July.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:24 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:39 pm

Regarding the GS-09 law clerk position, am I not eligible if I won't have a JD until December?
https://www.usajobs.gov/job/687878700
My guess would be no since the posting says you "must possess a Law degree" and an "ACTIVE bar membership." Also, the posting closes this month (November). But what do I know! It NEVER hurts to ask, so you should definitely reach out to them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:45 pm

My guess is you won’t be considered if you’re getting your JD in December. The posting says “Only education and experience acquired before the filing deadline will be considered.”

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:34 pm

Hi all! I’m new to this and very confused by the GS pay scale. I would so appreciate if someone could shed some light on it for me!

There are currently two USA Jobs openings I am curious about: one for the GS 11 trademark attorney advisor position and another for the GS 12-14 trademark attorney advisor position. The salary range for the GS 11 position is listed at $74,950 - $97,430 per year, and the salary range for the GS 12-14 position is $89,834 - $164,102 per year. These figures do not match up to the GS 11-14 salaries that are listed on OPM’s 2022 salary table (found here: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversig ... 022/GS.pdf).

I’m wondering why there are discrepancies between the salaries posted and the salary table. And why are the salary ranges so wide? Does previous legal experience (e.g. private practice experience) determine salary and what grade/step an applicant will be assigned at the time of hiring?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:16 am

I am a current trademark examining attorney who was recently hired. This is how I understood the pay details when they explained it to us recently:
1. If the applicant hasn't been sworn into a state bar yet, then they come in as a GS-9 "law clerk" until they pass the bar and are sworn in (and then they become a GS-11).
2. If the applicant has been admitted to a state bar (whether for 5 minutes or 50 years), they start at USPTO at the GS-11 level. (Answering your question directly--regardless of your prior experience outside of USPTO, I don't think anyone from outside USPTO is qualified to start as a GS-12 because they do not have the listed "Specialized Experience" from the GS-12 job listing until after they have been at USPTO for a year. You will start at GS-11 instead. This may be different for people transferring from other U.S. federal agencies though--not sure how that works.)
3. After one year of adequate performance at USPTO at GS-11 level, it is pretty much automatic to advance to GS-12.
4. After a second year of adequate performance, it is pretty much automatic to advance to GS-13.
5. After a third year of adequate performance, it is pretty much automatic to advance to GS-14.
6. After an employee reaches GS-14, they just go up the "Steps" of GS-14. They move up one step per year for the first few years, and then it slows down and takes more years per step the longer you are at USPTO.
7. If an employee goes into management, they are then in GS-15.

The OPM salary table pdf you linked does not have any locality pay boost listed. You need to find the chart for your locality to find out what you would actually get paid. See this full list of all localities instead: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversig ... saltbl.pdf.

Specifically, the GS-11 amount you mentioned from the job posting ("$74,950-$97,430") comes from the GS-11 table for WASHINGTON-BALTIMORE-ARLINGTON, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA. If you work at USPTO in person in Virginia, then that would be your payscale. If you work in a different locality mentioned in the pdf I linked, then see that chart for your payscale. If your locality is unlisted, then use the "Rest of U.S." chart to find your pay (which has a GS-11 minimum of $66,214).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:18 am

If you have never been a USPTO employee you will start as a GS 11.
Most start as a GS 11 Step 1, but if you have been a federal employee previously you will get service time credited towards a higher Step (still within Grade GS 11). The precise salary is determined by where you live unless you opt to work on campus in Alexandria (which is in the DC locality for pay purposes). For example, a GS 11 Step 1 in the DC area is currently $74,950.

The job posting lists the range for GS11 pay because theoretically someone might start at the higher end due to prior federal service in a different job. Most can ignore this as you will never be a GS 11 Step 2.. you will promote directly to GS 12 step 1 after a year, then 13-1 after two years.

If you plan on working remotely from home (99% do) you can find your locality by googling something like "GS 11 payscale Colorado" or wherever you live. Federalpay.org is my go to site for checking out my next pay bump.

Starting pay is generally NOT negotiable. If you have never done this specific job, you WILL need the full one year training academy to do it properly, and they won't pay you your old big law salary for that. The job is far from rocket science, but trademark examination is just different from private side trademark work and you will need to be trained how to do it.

On the plus side, you get essentially a 15-20k pay bump each year for the first three years (then you start going up "Steps" instead of full Grades), and there are plenty of bonuses and even the opportunity to work OT once you are working independently. Almost all of the new hires will be GS14 on their third anniversary which translates to 125k+ for many depending on where you live (by the time you get there that number will likely go up by several thousand as the locality adjustment portion of your pay goes up - its gone up 1-3% per year since 2017 or so and hopefully jumps 4%+ this year).

In my opinion the pay is excellent given the TREMENDOUS flexibility you have over your own work schedule.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:46 am

I’m wondering why there are discrepancies between the salaries posted and the salary table.
Super short answer is that the table you posted does not include the "locality adjustment" which all federal employees receive. $66,214 is the actual minimum for a GS11 working in let's say Wyoming. In DC area its the $74,950 quoted in the posting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:16 am
I am a current trademark examining attorney who was recently hired. This is how I understood the pay details when they explained it to us recently:
1. If the applicant hasn't been sworn into a state bar yet, then they come in as a GS-9 "law clerk" until they pass the bar and are sworn in (and then they become a GS-11).
2. If the applicant has been admitted to a state bar (whether for 5 minutes or 50 years), they start at USPTO at the GS-11 level. (Answering your question directly--regardless of your prior experience outside of USPTO, I don't think anyone from outside USPTO is qualified to start as a GS-12 because they do not have the listed "Specialized Experience" from the GS-12 job listing until after they have been at USPTO for a year. You will start at GS-11 instead. This may be different for people transferring from other U.S. federal agencies though--not sure how that works.)
3. After one year of adequate performance at USPTO at GS-11 level, it is pretty much automatic to advance to GS-12.
4. After a second year of adequate performance, it is pretty much automatic to advance to GS-13.
5. After a third year of adequate performance, it is pretty much automatic to advance to GS-14.
6. After an employee reaches GS-14, they just go up the "Steps" of GS-14. They move up one step per year for the first few years, and then it slows down and takes more years per step the longer you are at USPTO.

The OPM salary table pdf you linked does not have any locality pay boost listed. You need to find the chart for your locality to find out what you would actually get paid. See this full list of all localities instead: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversig ... saltbl.pdf.

Specifically, the GS-11 amount you mentioned from the job posting ("$74,950-$97,430") comes from the GS-11 table for WASHINGTON-BALTIMORE-ARLINGTON, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA. If you work at USPTO in person in Virginia, then that would be your payscale. If you work in a different locality mentioned in the pdf I linked, then see that chart for your payscale. If your locality is unlisted, then use the "Rest of U.S." chart to find your pay (which has a GS-11 minimum of $66,214).
Thanks for the info! A few questions for you/any other current examiners lurking on this thread:
1. Do you agree with any of these sentiments from a reviewer on Glassdoor: "Management - from immediate to almost the very top - is horrid. Training is inconsistent. Everyone seems unhappy or resigned to the work they have to do because everyone needs a job, the pay is eventually ok, and there is some job security. The work is mundane and not attorney level work at all, and pro se applicants are at a disadvantage. The new workload is almost unattainable without cutting corners, which weakens the validity of registrations."
2. The mentorship/training has been described as hazing. Do you find this accurate?
3. Do you know how many people didn't make it through the probation period in 2021 or 2022?
3. How many times did you interview for this position? If more than once, do you have any sense of what you did differently the time you actually got hired, or did it just seem like you had the same experience, resume, and presentation but better luck with a different group of managers?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:16 am

Thanks for the info! A few questions for you/any other current examiners lurking on this thread:
1. Do you agree with any of these sentiments from a reviewer on Glassdoor: "Management - from immediate to almost the very top - is horrid. Training is inconsistent. Everyone seems unhappy or resigned to the work they have to do because everyone needs a job, the pay is eventually ok, and there is some job security. The work is mundane and not attorney level work at all, and pro se applicants are at a disadvantage. The new workload is almost unattainable without cutting corners, which weakens the validity of registrations."
2. The mentorship/training has been described as hazing. Do you find this accurate?
3. Do you know how many people didn't make it through the probation period in 2021 or 2022?
3. How many times did you interview for this position? If more than once, do you have any sense of what you did differently the time you actually got hired, or did it just seem like you had the same experience, resume, and presentation but better luck with a different group of managers?
Hi. Been an examining attorney for 6 years.

Management is subjective. Examining attorneys all belong to a law office with both a senior attorney and a managing attorney. Opinions will vary based on how well you get along with these direct supervisors. I read a lot of sour grapes comments on Glassdoor. I will say the nature of the work means certain people bounce off the job pretty hard.

Training is a sore spot. The training is supposed to be more universal now. Back when I started you were trained but then your law office would basically re-train you the way they want you to do the job. So it felt inconsistent. I think it’s better now.

Almost everyone I know loves or at least tolerates the job. There is very little turnover. It’s a much different story on the patent side. There is a “mundane” aspect to the job in that every day is the same. Some people are built for that, some people aren’t.

As for not being attorney level work, that’s pretty subjective. Once people work here long enough, they are subject matter experts and don’t have to waffle on decisions and so I guess it can feel pretty low level work since many of the decisions you make don’t seem at all hard anymore. But I think that just comes with the territory of knowing one discrete area of law so well and then doing it every single day.

The pay is pretty excellent by my standards, at least. I have colleagues in the DC area that are GS-14 and with overtime and bonuses make 160k+/year working from home every day with good retirement and benefits.

If you are in a high priced area, mid 100s are attainable with OT and bonuses at about 3-4 years in, regardless of where you live. If you’re looking for big law money, though, you won’t make it here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:41 pm

Hi examiners! How is remote work logged and how are work/examination hours reported? I want to escape billable hour requirements, where every minute of every day needs to be accounted for for 8+ hours. Reading about unhappiness with the new performance appraisal plan makes me apprehensive though--particularly because I'm not sure what the PAP entails. Is it similar to billable hours, or is it a more metrics-based requirement?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:35 am

You report your hours on a timesheet online on a biweekly basis so as long as it adds up to 80 hours you’re good. It’s pretty flexible too so you can work 10 hours one day, 6 the next, etc. to get to 80. One exception is when you’re in training you have a set schedule because it’s a classroom style training (8:30-5 maybe?). For the PAP, there’s 3 elements you’re rated on with the main two being production and quality. For production you have to meet your quota.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:54 am

I have a couple questions for the current examiners. Thank you in advance!

Are law school grades looked at closely or is a certain GPA preferred? Or is the transcript used to just check that a degree was earned?

Also if you interviewed more than once and got the job eventually, what did you do differently when you got hired?

Do different panels interview or is it the same panel each round?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

toplee86

New

Post by toplee86 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:53 pm

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear back from USPTO? Or has anyone heard back from them?

dakeel

New

Post by dakeel » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:22 pm

toplee86 wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:53 pm
Does anyone know when we can expect to hear back from USPTO? Or has anyone heard back from them?
I just got a rejection for the law clerk position. I am getting my JD this week and reflected that in my application, but they said I needed to possess it at the time of application.

I'm not really sure who the target for the law clerk positions are if it's for those with JDs who are not licensed. Like, only people who deferred or did not pass the bar would be eligible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:32 pm

dakeel wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:22 pm
toplee86 wrote:
I just got a rejection for the law clerk position. I am getting my JD this week and reflected that in my application, but they said I needed to possess it at the time of application.

I'm not really sure who the target for the law clerk positions are if it's for those with JDs who are not licensed. Like, only people who deferred or did not pass the bar would be eligible.
From what I have learned reading through this forum, as well as the Fed Jobs subreddit, and applying more than once for the attorney position, and trying again this time, - logic is not something to start applying to this process. I'd say "I'm sure they have their reasons" but that is absolutely NOT something I'm sure of! The application dates move a little bit each time it seems, so it may have fallen within a standard graduation time at one point, but not anymore and nobody has pointed out the change. Maybe there are enough people deferring the bar or failing the 1st time around and applying for the clerk position that it hasn't been noticed?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:35 pm

toplee86 wrote:
I received a notice of referral and request for written statement on Dec. 15 (Thursday) - Written statement due 12/20. (I was no joke expecting a response to show up on the 21st with a written statement due date on the 26th...last fall it was due the day after Thanksgiving.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”