3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
crownjd

New

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by crownjd » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:46 pm

SpikeSeagull wrote:FYI for those who haven't heard yet: Bronx Defenders are not hiring this year for their Criminal Defense Practice. Crime is too low!
What a perfect avatar for this post ... sort of.

rsm0117

New

Post by rsm0117 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:37 pm

Any February Bar Exam takers who went Colorado PD? I am taking the Bar exam in February bar exam, and have a first round interview with CO PD later this week. I am a little concerned about not being placed until July bar takers and having to go nearly a year without starting the job. Kind of takes the point out of taking the bar early. So, anyone on here who took a Feb Bar and went to Colorado State Public Defender want to weigh in on when they were placed?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:31 pm

Reviving this thread! Where are people in the process so far? Has anyone who screened at EJW heard back about second rounds? Which offices?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:06 pm

I applied with Colorado a few cycles ago, but was wholly unimpressed with their process and communication. There were several months between my initial interview and information about scheduling of second round interviews. I was running up against the early deadline for bar exam applications, so I withdrew my Colorado application. It was like pulling teeth to get updates. I followed up a few times and I was only told something along the lines of interview decisions being delayed due to uncertain funding. The most specific information I received was that it would be late spring before they knew about second round interviews. I waited it out as long as I could before deciding to pull my application.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:24 am

Yes let's revive this thread! My school did a public interest OCI in early Sept. so I interviewed with a bunch of places there. Now I've done second rounds with New Hampshire, Metropolitan PD (Portland OR), and Brooklyn Defender Services. Still waiting to hear about second rounds from Maryland, Massachusetts, Philly, and the Legal Aid Society. I also interviewed with Colorado at OCI and was told they were just giving out offers after that, not doing additional rounds of interviews.

Has anyone heard from LAS about second rounds yet? I'm a former intern so I'm hoping to hear from them soon but I got a real disorganized vibe from them during my first interview, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're being slow af.

Good luck to everyone going through this process! It sucks but we'll get through it and get amazing jobs!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:12 pm

I heard from LAS today about a "first interview," but it includes a prepared closing argument. Was your first round more of a screener, or trial skills focused? I'm a little unclear about the structure I'm headed into and what to expect from the process after this stage. Is this first interview going to be a panel, and how many rounds will follow?

Unrelated, but in case anyone is wondering, King Co. (Seattle) has said they'll make offers by Thanksgiving.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:13 pm

My first round with LAS was a screener, but when I was an intern they told me I'd be able to skip the screener and go straight to the second round, which includes the mock closing, but they decided to come to my school's OCI and interview me and a bunch of other former interns anyway? It was honestly a very confusing and disorganized experience. They don't have the best reputation when it comes to the hiring process. Weird that they told you that was your "first interview." They do three rounds -- a screener, a second panel interview with 3 or 4 people where you do a closing argument (I was told by current LAS attorneys that they give you the fact pattern a couple days in advance), and then a final interview with the head of the criminal defense practice.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:00 pm

FYI - for anyone keeping track of EJW, I have heard from New Jersey, Appellate Advocates and NY County. I also interviewed with Philly and haven't heard anything, so I'm assuming that probably means no panel interview. Oh well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:31 pm

Has anyone who did a screener for BDS at EJW heard back about second rounds?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:16 pm

Has anyone heard anything from Philly? I haven't heard anything about a second round either and it's been a while since I did my screener interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:53 pm

For EJW people keeping track - I've heard back from Miami, Still She Rises, Maricopa, and New Mexico. Nothing from BDS, New Hampshire, San Bernardino, or San Diego County.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Philly? I haven't heard anything about a second round either and it's been a while since I did my screener interview.
Philadelphia sent out an e-mail last week inviting people to do panel interviews during their "Recruitment Weekend" being held November 15 and 16.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:31 pm

Just heard about my LAS second round! It looks like they've been sending out notifications for a couple weeks now and are continuing to do so, so don't despair if you haven't heard yet! They're probably doing things in waves.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:37 pm

has anyone heard from LAS in NYC after second round interview? i know the process is slow but it's been a month for me

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:59 pm

Has anyone heard from Colorado? Heard secondhand that someone I know got an offer so now I'm like hmmm what's going on....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:17 pm

Has anyone heard from Maryland?

nearthefinishline

New

Post by nearthefinishline » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Colorado? Heard secondhand that someone I know got an offer so now I'm like hmmm what's going on....

hey hey! I got my offer yesterday from Colorado. I had checked in earlier in the week about another deadline and was told first rounds of offers were going out “this week”

hope that’s helpful!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lolhelp

New

Post by lolhelp » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Maryland?
I know a few people who were invited for second rounds.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who did a screener for BDS at EJW heard back about second rounds?
Anyone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:37 pm

had a second round (bail simulation) interview with BDS. they said mid-december they would be reaching out to people for final rounds

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:31 pm

Anyone heard from Prettyman? Or know what the status of that is?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:had a second round (bail simulation) interview with BDS. they said mid-december they would be reaching out to people for final rounds
did you screen at EJW or elsewhere?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:42 pm

Any insight into what the Philly panel interview is like would be much appreciated! Doing mine in a few weeks. I heard it’s basically a mock trial??

lolhelp

New

Post by lolhelp » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any insight into what the Philly panel interview is like would be much appreciated! Doing mine in a few weeks. I heard it’s basically a mock trial??
PM me.

Pdwave

New

Post by Pdwave » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:27 am

Hey All -

Fellow 3L PD hopeful here. I was wondering if anyone had heard anything from CPCS (Massachusetts) or New Hampshire PD? I had a first round with CPCS and was then directed to submit an application through their online portal back in like early-mid October and haven't heard anything.

As for NHPD, I had a first round at my school in September and then a Panel interview in October, which I thought went well, though I haven't heard anything from them. I recall the attorney who led the panel telling me that they'd have all their offers out by the end of December, but I'm not sure this is accurate.

Finally, as for Colorado, does it seem like they've already sent out all of their offers, or will they be coming out in batches?

Apologies for all the questions! And thanks in advance.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”