3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got my offer today from LAS and I heard that one other person from a school in my area also got an offer today.
Did she say anything about start dates and official hiring?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got my offer today from LAS and I heard that one other person from a school in my area also got an offer today.
Did she say anything about start dates and official hiring?
I don't think official letters will go out until after the state budget is finalized at the end of March. As for start date, they're trying for earlier than usual. I heard September 1 but I don't think that's finalized yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:00 pm

How is everyone's office doing with the coronavirus? Any guidance/information regarding start dates or anything else?

Also, did anyone else get an email from LAS about offer letters and a delayed start date? I did, but I had never got a call from Tina and thought I was out of the running for CDP -- is this the case with anyone else?

Amj2zd

New

Post by Amj2zd » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:43 pm

Hi I hope everyone is holding up okay during this scary time...New York Bar has officially posted a date for the fall bar exam: https://www.nybarexam.org September 9-10. Legal Aid also sent out emails to everyone in the Fall 2020 CDP class that our jobs are still intact and our offer letters are forthcoming pending them adjusting start dates due to the delay of the bar exam.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How is everyone's office doing with the coronavirus? Any guidance/information regarding start dates or anything else?

Also, did anyone else get an email from LAS about offer letters and a delayed start date? I did, but I had never got a call from Tina and thought I was out of the running for CDP -- is this the case with anyone else?
I got the same email, but had heard from Tina a few weeks prior. Definitely a bizarre way for you to get the news -- but congrats!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:48 pm

Amj2zd wrote:Hi I hope everyone is holding up okay during this scary time...New York Bar has officially posted a date for the fall bar exam: https://www.nybarexam.org September 9-10. Legal Aid also sent out emails to everyone in the Fall 2020 CDP class that our jobs are still intact and our offer letters are forthcoming pending them adjusting start dates due to the delay of the bar exam.
anyone know how big the class is?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:37 pm

Has anyone who accepted an offer from Colorado heard anything re: start dates/placements/corona virus implications?

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:19 pm

Just wondering if anyone has heard about contingency planning for fall yet, regardless of where they're slated to start. A handful of my firm friends have had their start dates pushed back to January, but I haven't heard a word from PD friends; I've only heard through NYU's PILC office that Miami PD "intends to honor" the job offers they've made to graduating 3Ls. Trying to quell my anxiety but it's hard when there are so many lingering questions.

FWIW, I know BxD went full-remote for their summer interns, while BDS (as of a few days ago) still hadn't communicated what they plan to do with their 2L summer interns.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:02 pm

Has anyone heard anything from Legal Aid since the e-mail notifying us that we will have a job a month ago? They said official letters would go out by end of April and I haven't heard a thing......

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Legal Aid since the e-mail notifying us that we will have a job a month ago? They said official letters would go out by end of April and I haven't heard a thing......
I got a call this morning to confirm my acceptance and was told letters would likely still take several more weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 11, 2020 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:36 pm
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Legal Aid since the e-mail notifying us that we will have a job a month ago? They said official letters would go out by end of April and I haven't heard a thing......
I got a call this morning to confirm my acceptance and was told letters would likely still take several more weeks.
I got an email this morning about non-NY bar dates, but I still haven't received a letter. Has anyone else yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 11, 2020 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:36 pm
I got an email this morning about non-NY bar dates, but I still haven't received a letter. Has anyone else yet?
I was told the letters will take a few more weeks...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 12, 2020 10:38 am

Anyone know if Legal Aid is done making offers then?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 15, 2020 7:13 pm

In terms of what various offices are doing, my friend is going to New Hampshire and apparently was told in April that her start date is the same, but training dates have been rearranged a bit to account for the bar exam. So at least some offices have been communicating. (I'm a 2L who was planning on applying for PD jobs next fall, which is suddenly a pretty scary prospect.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 25, 2020 2:35 pm

Is it true that Philly rescinded all their offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 26, 2020 11:11 am

Are any of the NYC area public defenders hiring right now? I see that LAS supposedly hired a class for this fall but they haven't sent out letters. But are BDS, BxDef, QD, NDS, NYCDS or any of the appellate places actively interviewing/soliciting applications?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 26, 2020 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:35 pm
Is it true that Philly rescinded all their offers?
I have no idea but that's a terrifying prospect.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2020 1:31 pm

New Hampshire has pushed its start date back to (at least) January 2021 (no pay until then) and even then there are no guarantees of positions until it becomes clear what the budget is. Not great!!!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2020 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:11 am
Are any of the NYC area public defenders hiring right now? I see that LAS supposedly hired a class for this fall but they haven't sent out letters. But are BDS, BxDef, QD, NDS, NYCDS or any of the appellate places actively interviewing/soliciting applications?
Maybe Queens or appellate offices. BxD was never hiring for CDP this year, and I'm pretty sure the rest have wrapped up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2020 3:02 pm

I wasn't slated to go to Philly, but I can confirm that I heard through the grapevine this morning that something happened with the Philly offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 28, 2020 6:45 pm

Still no legal aid offer letter.... I assume no one has gotten one

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SpikeSeagull

New

Post by SpikeSeagull » Fri May 29, 2020 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:02 pm
I wasn't slated to go to Philly, but I can confirm that I heard through the grapevine this morning that something happened with the Philly offers.
My friend was going to Philly. Everyone in this year's class got rescinded.

Does anyone know of other PD offices that have done something similar, besides NH?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2020 7:32 pm

SpikeSeagull wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 3:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:02 pm
My friend was going to Philly. Everyone in this year's class got rescinded.

Does anyone know of other PD offices that have done something similar, besides NH?
I heard a rumor about Maryland but no idea if it's true.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:58 am

has anyone heard from LAS about offer letters ? since we received that email about the bar I haven't heard a thing

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:58 am
has anyone heard from LAS about offer letters ? since we received that email about the bar I haven't heard a thing
received mine about half an hour ago

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”