Are All Firms the Same? + No M&A? Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
Anonymous User

Are All Firms the Same? + No M&A?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:26 am

I'm interested in corporate law (maybe emerging companies), and am looking at a few different firms for my summer. Some have billable hours requirements that are 1900, 1950, 2000 -- are the hours I'll be working at all these firms the same anyway despite this? I'm looking in the TX market, and trying to find the most sustainable long-term fit for me that still pays market.

Also, is it possible to do emerging companies work (which I've heard has more stable hours generally) without doing any M&A (which just doesn't sound fun to me)? I know I'll probably have to do at least a couple M&A deals, I just don't want it to be my long-term practice.

I'm trying to figure out these two factors when narrowing down firms and would appreciate any input. In my ideal world, I would be at a nice firm where I like the people, get paid market, and don't do much (if any) M&A. I'm not sure how important prestige is, and I really don't want it if it would mean I'd work a lot more for the same pay.

Wubbles

Bronze

Re: Are All Firms the Same? + No M&A?

Post by Wubbles » Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:41 pm

Sidetracking a bit away from some of your questions, but what emerging company work are you interested in? The usual thing for an ECVC associate is to do all of the general corporate / M&A / cap markets / securities work for the client. It sounds like this isn't what you're really interested in at all. If you don't like M&A I doubt you'd like cap markets much either. Are you interested in IP? Doing that at an ECVC heavy firm may be more your style.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”