More BigLaw TikTok drama! Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
Anonymous User

Re: More BigLaw TikTok drama!

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2023 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 1:47 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 10:50 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 7:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 7:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 3:58 pm
I'd like to introduce a few new cringe big law and ex-big law content creators. I'll be listing them by the firm they are or were associated with.

WSGR:
https://www.tiktok.com/@juliansarafian? ... MRQeB&_r=1
- I don't even have to explain how cringe this one is. Left big law because it's toxic. Spends all his time talking about big law, graduating (barely) from HLS, and having IBS.
That Julian guy sounds cringe, but I don't think he barely graduated from Harvard. He got all As 1L when he was at NYU Law (he transferred).
I may be misremembering but thought he has made several videos about anxiety to the point of being sick to his stomach during law school. I wasn't commenting on his grades so much as his inability to cope with stress.

Also, what a genius. Transferring from NYU to HLS only to graduate and then work in corporate at WSGR. You could do that with slightly above median grades from any T14.
"only to graduate and then work in corporate at WSGR"... and then market himself to the lay masses to gain a following. One of the only times HLS makes sense over NYU is if marketing yourself to lay people is an important part of your career. For 99.9% of lawyers it is not. For Julian it is basically the core of his career at this point. He probably would not have the following he has if he went to Penn (or stayed at NYU) or something rather than being able to say Harvard Law.

If I say "my plan is to start a legal podcast in a few years targeted to laypeople, is HLS or NYU better," then the answer would by HLS hands down...

So he is probably one of the very few people for whom transferring has actually been important to his career. Make fun of him for other stuff, but transferring seems to have worked out pretty well.
This is hilarious. Are you suggesting his transferring from NYU to HLS and working in corporate at WSGR was strategically done because he knew he wanted a career as an influencer? LOL

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No, I am suggesting that his transferring from NYU to HLS ended up being good for him because it enabled him to do what he currently does. So transferring actually served a purpose for him. You said "he could have got a job at WSGR from NYU" -- sure. Could he have got 500k followers on tik tok from NYU? (Reading comprehension is not that hard btw)

Btw, there are a fair amount of people who go to HLS because they want to do something (after working at a corporate firm for a few years) for which lay prestige will matter. No idea if that was Julian's plan or not, but its not that rare.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2023 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'd like to introduce a few new cringe big law and ex-big law content creators. I'll be listing them by the firm they are or were associated with.

WSGR:
- I don't even have to explain how cringe this one is. Left big law because it's toxic. Spends all his time talking about big law, graduating (barely) from HLS, and having IBS.
That Julian guy sounds cringe, but I don't think he barely graduated from Harvard. He got all As 1L when he was at NYU Law (he transferred).
I may be misremembering but thought he has made several videos about anxiety to the point of being sick to his stomach during law school. I wasn't commenting on his grades so much as his inability to cope with stress.

Also, what a genius. Transferring from NYU to HLS only to graduate and then work in corporate at WSGR. You could do that with slightly above median grades from any T14.
"only to graduate and then work in corporate at WSGR"... and then market himself to the lay masses to gain a following. One of the only times HLS makes sense over NYU is if marketing yourself to lay people is an important part of your career. For 99.9% of lawyers it is not. For Julian it is basically the core of his career at this point. He probably would not have the following he has if he went to Penn (or stayed at NYU) or something rather than being able to say Harvard Law.

If I say "my plan is to start a legal podcast in a few years targeted to laypeople, is HLS or NYU better," then the answer would by HLS hands down...

So he is probably one of the very few people for whom transferring has actually been important to his career. Make fun of him for other stuff, but transferring seems to have worked out pretty well.
This is hilarious. Are you suggesting his transferring from NYU to HLS and working in corporate at WSGR was strategically done because he knew he wanted a career as an influencer? LOL

He also represents influencers/content creators. Maybe a case of turning lemons into lemonade, but getting a HLS degree and some biglaw experience isn’t a bad background for that.

(The only other factor that could be relevant is that if he wasn’t getting a lot of aid from NYU, HLS might have actually been cheaper.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2023 2:44 pm

hekisan656 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 11:56 am
throwawayt14 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 11:47 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

WSGR:

I briefly looked this guy's story up, and I think he transferred out of a misguided sense of wanting prestige. On some article I saw, he seems pretty self-aware about it though.

Also, I really didn't find his written work to be cringe at all -- I concede I have not watched any of his tiktok videos though. His story appears to be pretty common at law schools, chasing prestige and working very hard out of a sense that being successful in law is just "impressive" in some way, and then finding out that there is much more to life than getting a 4.0 and working 2000+ hours at a big law job.

I found it fairly refreshing, it doesn't seem to be like he entered law school and big law for the express purpose of trying to get famous on social media.
You're certainly right that most people don't enter school with the purpose of becoming famous.

Rather, I think the point is that being famous on social media and the decision to transfer from NYU to HLS are both inextricably linked with status and prestige.

Proof: the obvious truth that stating "I go to HLS" on TikTok at every opportunity is what helps you grow. And unless you are chasing the most elite clerkship outcomes possible, I don't think there's a single justifiable non-personal or non-prestige reason to transfer from 4.0 NYU to HLS. Just look at the clerkship forum and how many HLS transfers complain about striking out because they are now a very regular fish in a very big pond.
I don’t think there are a lot of people complaining about this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2023 3:20 pm

This tiktoker is the least offensive one I've come across.

Sullivan & Cromwell: https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRwCbCj4/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2023 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 3:20 pm

I actually know her IRL—nice, normal person, and easy to work with. Don't know the Manatt one either, but she also seems very normal. Wonder if it's a coincidence that they're both from NYU and the one annoying person from NYU actually just transferred to HLS. (Happy to be proven wrong if there is some insufferable person from NYU on TikTok).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2023 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 2:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

WSGR:

No, I am suggesting that his transferring from NYU to HLS ended up being good for him because it enabled him to do what he currently does. So transferring actually served a purpose for him. You said "he could have got a job at WSGR from NYU" -- sure. Could he have got 500k followers on tik tok from NYU? (Reading comprehension is not that hard btw)

Btw, there are a fair amount of people who go to HLS because they want to do something (after working at a corporate firm for a few years) for which lay prestige will matter. No idea if that was Julian's plan or not, but its not that rare.
This is underappreciated. If you want to transition out of law and into a business role, it is so much better to have Harvard on the resume. Ordinary people don't even know that NYU exists outside of the Northeast.

basketofbread

New

Post by basketofbread » Thu May 04, 2023 6:56 pm

I actually admire all of these people for having a positive view of their lives in big law. If I made a day in the life as a litigator it would be just me saying how I work way too much, I hate my life and hope I get fired soon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2023 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 3:36 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

I actually know her IRL—nice, normal person, and easy to work with. Don't know the Manatt one either, but she also seems very normal. Wonder if it's a coincidence that they're both from NYU and the one annoying person from NYU actually just transferred to HLS. (Happy to be proven wrong if there is some insufferable person from NYU on TikTok).
Did she get let go? She's not on sullivan and cromwells website... maybe they didn't like the tiktok's.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2023 8:53 pm

basketofbread wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 6:56 pm
I actually admire all of these people for having a positive view of their lives in big law. If I made a day in the life as a litigator it would be just me saying how I work way too much, I hate my life and hope I get fired soon.
Hell I'd subscribe and watch that. Misery loves company.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2023 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 11:24 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 9:46 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 2:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 11:28 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 11:31 pm
Why is it racist to at least suspect someone of being (comparably) underqualified for their job when their employer lowers the objective metrics for hiring people of that given category? You have to be an idiot not to at least suspect it.
Do you suspect the same thing of rich people/legacies? or can you not tell because they look like a historically typical biglaw associate (aka white)? Do you also assume the same of women and LGBT people? Also huge lol at thinking hiring is objective... please stop deluding yourself.

It's racist because you are using skin color as a proxy for something that could apply to literally anyone at the firm, but are only applying it to the group with the obviously different skin tone, unless you're going around and asking every attorney if their uncle is a client, as well.
Law firms are not recruiting legacies. (It's not college) They do recruit some rich people's kids who are woefully underqualified. And yes don't worry we all know who is there only bc of family $$$. It shows pretty quickly.
Yup, that’s why a bunch of firms have a number of partners whose parents were partners at peer firms, who never seemed to work the same hours as other associates when they were rising up the ranks but were always “anointed”. (Not saying they weren’t good lawyers, just that it was known that they’d be ok and favored when coming up the ranks.) This includes at STB - look at the current managing partner’s NYT wedding announcement to see what his father did, or where the Paul, Weiss managing partner’s daughter works.

I’m not condoning the tiktoker’s activity, or saying that these folks should be disqualified from biglaw practice. I’m just laughing at the notion that it’s ever an even playing field. Nepo babies are as real in big law as anywhere else. Many of the rest of us are expected to shut up and be cannon fodder.
Did you really try to argue that Karp's daughter, who graduated with honors from Cornell and HLS, got her STB offer largely because of her dad's connections? lol. Most people at HLS can get STB NYC without connections. (Wouldn't be surprised if his daughter got the fame & legacy boost for HLS though...)

Just because a number of biglaw partners' kids go on to biglaw too does not mean that those kids got their jobs through their parents since many of them end up going to top tier law schools (thanks to mommy's and daddy's money). Sure there are some that manage to irritatingly snake into partnership with less effort, but it's far less common than you'd think.
FWIW You can get STB from well below median at HLS

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2023 11:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 8:45 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 3:36 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Did she get let go? She's not on sullivan and cromwells website... maybe they didn't like the tiktok's.
She's class of '22 and just passed the bar, imagine she isn't on website yet since S&C doesn't seem to put clerks on website

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2023 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

WSGR:

I had a 6 week long panic attack while working in Biglaw. I didn't realize that's what it was because I was feeling physical symptoms unlike any I had ever felt before. I mean debilitating, how-can-I-live-like-this symptoms. I visited the emergency room after not sleeping for two days and considering suicide (not because I was clinically depressed but because I thought I might have a chronic condition and couldn't imagine living the rest of my life with my symptoms), and they tested me for a bunch of stuff and my insurance ended up making me pay for all of it because it turned out I didn't have anything life-threatening (!), despite the fact that my symptoms literally could have been indicative of anything from cancer to rapidly failing kidneys.

At the risk of my colleagues seeing this and realizing who I am - this was not something I ever saw coming. I used to jump out of planes during my military service, and got made fun of by my brothers because I fell asleep on nearly ever ascent. I was that chill. I was one of those, "Why worry? It doesn't solve anything" bros. I have family members who suffer from anxiety and thought maybe I'd escaped it, or at least managed to dodge the worst of it.

After the emergency room visit, several consultations with specialists, physical therapy, visits with a psychiatrist, and discussions with my primary care doctor, I finally got on a low dose of anxiety medication and it was like the f*cking sun had come out. Where dietary changes and exercise hadn't helped, inside of a week of getting on my meds my physical symptoms had cleared and I haven't had a glimmer of anxiety symptoms since. I feel like I'm 20 again, capable of anything (except 20 pounds heavier, cuz ya know, I'm a good deal older and working a desk job and also that's a side effect of my medication). Can you imagine if I'd given in to the dark thoughts? If I'd not had family and friends around me who did their best to understand and listen and support me? If I'd paid attention to the folks who thought suffering from physical symptoms of anxiety meant I had a character flaw that made me unable to "cope with stress"?

Much love, don't mean to be negative. Just hoping that this poster and others understand that anxiety - like other chemical imbalances in the brain - is not easy to deal with, is not easy to understand if you haven't experienced it, and is not an "inability to cope with stress." It's not like you flex your brain and suddenly you're calm. I know how to blow sh*t up, I've stood in the open door of a plane with my hands gripping the doorframe, waiting for the light to turn green for my stick to jump, and I was trained to shoot a man in the head at 300m. I'm a Biglaw lawyer. And it took pills to get my body to stop telling me I was in a fight-or-flight situation for weeks on end.

Just... think about that before sh*tting on somebody for having poor stress management skills. You never know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 05, 2023 1:13 am

I didn't shit on him for having poor management abilities or for having anxiety. I pointed out that he had poor ability to cope with stress and that this was challenging for him in law school and in big law.

The only thing I make fun of him for is his cringe content on tiktok. He hates big law and its toxicity yet almost all of his content is about big law. The rest of his videos are about graduating from HLS. His vibe is off and at some point he will have to find something more to talk about. That's just my opinion.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 05, 2023 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 11:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

WSGR:

I had a 6 week long panic attack while working in Biglaw. I didn't realize that's what it was because I was feeling physical symptoms unlike any I had ever felt before. I mean debilitating, how-can-I-live-like-this symptoms. I visited the emergency room after not sleeping for two days and considering suicide (not because I was clinically depressed but because I thought I might have a chronic condition and couldn't imagine living the rest of my life with my symptoms), and they tested me for a bunch of stuff and my insurance ended up making me pay for all of it because it turned out I didn't have anything life-threatening (!), despite the fact that my symptoms literally could have been indicative of anything from cancer to rapidly failing kidneys.

At the risk of my colleagues seeing this and realizing who I am - this was not something I ever saw coming. I used to jump out of planes during my military service, and got made fun of by my brothers because I fell asleep on nearly ever ascent. I was that chill. I was one of those, "Why worry? It doesn't solve anything" bros. I have family members who suffer from anxiety and thought maybe I'd escaped it, or at least managed to dodge the worst of it.

After the emergency room visit, several consultations with specialists, physical therapy, visits with a psychiatrist, and discussions with my primary care doctor, I finally got on a low dose of anxiety medication and it was like the f*cking sun had come out. Where dietary changes and exercise hadn't helped, inside of a week of getting on my meds my physical symptoms had cleared and I haven't had a glimmer of anxiety symptoms since. I feel like I'm 20 again, capable of anything (except 20 pounds heavier, cuz ya know, I'm a good deal older and working a desk job and also that's a side effect of my medication). Can you imagine if I'd given in to the dark thoughts? If I'd not had family and friends around me who did their best to understand and listen and support me? If I'd paid attention to the folks who thought suffering from physical symptoms of anxiety meant I had a character flaw that made me unable to "cope with stress"?

Much love, don't mean to be negative. Just hoping that this poster and others understand that anxiety - like other chemical imbalances in the brain - is not easy to deal with, is not easy to understand if you haven't experienced it, and is not an "inability to cope with stress." It's not like you flex your brain and suddenly you're calm. I know how to blow sh*t up, I've stood in the open door of a plane with my hands gripping the doorframe, waiting for the light to turn green for my stick to jump, and I was trained to shoot a man in the head at 300m. I'm a Biglaw lawyer. And it took pills to get my body to stop telling me I was in a fight-or-flight situation for weeks on end.

Just... think about that before sh*tting on somebody for having poor stress management skills. You never know.
Damn, I guess the fact that I cope with biglaw by just being sad and miserable without resorting to emergency room anxiety attacks means I probably could have handled being special forces.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 05, 2023 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 10:42 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 11:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

WSGR:

Damn, I guess the fact that I cope with biglaw by just being sad and miserable without resorting to emergency room anxiety attacks means I probably could have handled being special forces.
I don’t get it. Is this meant as snark? (Not the poster you’re responding to.)

judgepayne

New

Post by judgepayne » Fri May 05, 2023 11:30 am

Most privileged demographic in all of law, right down to the beginning of college admissions. Would it cost the firm less to simply not hire these people?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 05, 2023 12:05 pm

judgepayne wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 11:30 am
Most privileged demographic in all of law, right down to the beginning of college admissions. Would it cost the firm less to simply not hire these people?
A shrewd cost cutter might think "yes, we could just hire actors to put on the front page of our website, and to show up at events, etc. That would certainly be cheaper than paying these folks 200k to do that." But if you think more deeply about the matter, the reputational hit a firm would take when it inevitably got caught doing that would be far more expensive, maybe even resulting in a spiral worse than cadwalader.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LittleRedCorvette

Bronze

Post by LittleRedCorvette » Fri May 05, 2023 12:15 pm

judgepayne wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 11:30 am
Are you saying:

"Black people are the most privileged demographic in all of law, right down to the beginning of college admissions. Would it cost the firm less to simply not hire black people?"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 05, 2023 12:34 pm

https://www.tiktok.com/@legallypriscilla/

LP has deleted her more controversial posts. I wonder whether STB asked her to or whether she realized they were bad decisions.

butonawednesday

New

Post by butonawednesday » Fri May 05, 2023 1:02 pm

Merger Queen can sure fire up a highly clicked thread

butonawednesday

New

Post by butonawednesday » Fri May 05, 2023 1:06 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i__4Prfru9E

From Simpson Thacher site, I don't even get it?
But it's very sessy

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 05, 2023 1:39 pm

Reuters is now in on the action--and asked STB for comment...

https://www.reuters.com/legal/transacti ... 023-05-04/

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Fri May 05, 2023 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 1:39 pm

I can't imagine this is good for Priscilla's legal career.

legalpotato

Bronze

Post by legalpotato » Fri May 05, 2023 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Fukking LOL at this quote:

"Hamilton said she told the firm "that opportunities like this can actually level the playing field" for her "when it comes to going up for partner.” The deals, she argued, might open the door to relationships that she could grow into a book of business."

Yes - I am sure the legal departments of the biggest brands, which are probably comprised of head-up-their-ass "preftigious" ppl, are going to hire an actual THOT for their legal work.

The fact that this person thinks the rando marketing person who reaches out to them and offers them $2k for a promotional social media post has any connection to ppl who make decisions regarding legal work shows how out of touch this person is.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Fri May 05, 2023 2:14 pm

legalpotato wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 2:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Fukking LOL at this quote:

"Hamilton said she told the firm "that opportunities like this can actually level the playing field" for her "when it comes to going up for partner.” The deals, she argued, might open the door to relationships that she could grow into a book of business."

Yes - I am sure the legal departments of the biggest brands, which are probably comprised of head-up-their-ass "preftigious" ppl, are going to hire an actual THOT for their legal work.

The fact that this person thinks the rando marketing person who reaches out to them and offers them $2k for a promotional social media post has any connection to ppl who make decisions regarding legal work shows how out of touch this person is.
She wants to level a playing field that is so ostensibly stacked against her that she is allowed to publicly berate her employer with impunity LOL.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”