More BigLaw TikTok drama! Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
MergerQueen

New

Re: More BigLaw TikTok drama!

Post by MergerQueen » Fri May 05, 2023 2:16 pm

legalpotato wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 2:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 1:39 pm
Reuters is now in on the action--and asked STB for comment...

https://www.reuters.com/legal/transacti ... 023-05-04/
Fukking LOL at this quote:

"Hamilton said she told the firm "that opportunities like this can actually level the playing field" for her "when it comes to going up for partner.” The deals, she argued, might open the door to relationships that she could grow into a book of business."

Yes - I am sure the legal departments of the biggest brands, which are probably comprised of head-up-their-ass "preftigious" ppl, are going to hire an actual THOT for their legal work.

The fact that this person thinks the rando marketing person who reaches out to them and offers them $2k for a promotional social media post has any connection to ppl who make decisions regarding legal work shows how out of touch this person is.
Agreed that this isn't going to generate business--and that it might have the opposite effect. However, there's no reason to resort to sexist ad hominem remarks.

legalpotato

Bronze

Post by legalpotato » Fri May 05, 2023 2:59 pm

MergerQueen wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 2:16 pm
legalpotato wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

"Hamilton said she told the firm "that opportunities like this can actually level the playing field" for her "when it comes to going up for partner.” The deals, she argued, might open the door to relationships that she could grow into a book of business."

Yes - I am sure the legal departments of the biggest brands, which are probably comprised of head-up-their-ass "preftigious" ppl, are going to hire an actual THOT for their legal work.

The fact that this person thinks the rando marketing person who reaches out to them and offers them $2k for a promotional social media post has any connection to ppl who make decisions regarding legal work shows how out of touch this person is.
Agreed that this isn't going to generate business--and that it might have the opposite effect. However, there's no reason to resort to sexist ad hominem remarks.
We are on the same page, other than I wouldn't say it is sexist. If anything I am appropriating. You might be racist though for thinking that.

butonawednesday

New

Post by butonawednesday » Fri May 05, 2023 3:38 pm

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/2S7u5daP3Tw

Just put up
She works for Simpson
Just don't get it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 05, 2023 4:24 pm

butonawednesday wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 3:38 pm
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/2S7u5daP3Tw

Just put up
She works for Simpson
Just don't get it
Huh????

butonawednesday

New

Post by butonawednesday » Fri May 05, 2023 4:48 pm

that's just what I said when I clicked on the vid

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 05, 2023 5:33 pm

butonawednesday wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 4:48 pm
What are you talking about? Be coherent.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 05, 2023 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 5:33 pm
butonawednesday wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 4:48 pm
What are you talking about? Be coherent.
That will likely never happen with this poster. Better to just add to your blocked list.

butonawednesday

New

Post by butonawednesday » Sat May 06, 2023 10:41 am

Why post anonymously on a thread with "TikTok Drama" in the title of the thread?

"Revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm?"

Maybe I erroneously believed that the thread was a frivolous, lighthearted comedy thread?

Isn't TikTok where teenagers post about how much cinnamon they can inhale without choking?

MergerQueen

New

Post by MergerQueen » Sat May 06, 2023 10:59 am

butonawednesday wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 10:41 am
Why post anonymously on a thread with "TikTok Drama" in the title of the thread?

Maybe I erroneously believed that the thread was a frivolous, lighthearted comedy thread?

Isn't TikTok where teenagers post about how much cinnamon they can inhale without choking?
What is comedic about incoherent statements with non-germane YouTube videos appended?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

butonawednesday

New

Post by butonawednesday » Sat May 06, 2023 11:33 am

MergerQueen wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 10:59 am
butonawednesday wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 10:41 am

What is comedic about incoherent statements with non-germane YouTube videos appended?
I will thank MergerQueen for an entertaining thread with lots of views but I'm still not certain how serious it all is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 06, 2023 11:39 am

Lol all this fearless “teehee I’m a badass, teehee I’m playin chess y’all” between all of her absolutely ridiculous takes sure is made 100x funnier by fact she deleted everything. Guess STB laid down the law with her. I hope she was fired (probably wasn’t), but glad she at least evidently got a talking to

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 06, 2023 11:44 am

MergerQueen wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 2:16 pm
legalpotato wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

LP has deleted all of her promo videos

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 06, 2023 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 11:39 am
Lol all this fearless “teehee I’m a badass, teehee I’m playin chess y’all” between all of her absolutely ridiculous takes sure is made 100x funnier by fact she deleted everything. Guess STB laid down the law with her. I hope she was fired (probably wasn’t), but glad she at least evidently got a talking to
Girl talked a tough game to get smacked down. Ironic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 06, 2023 3:39 pm

LittleRedCorvette wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 12:15 pm
judgepayne wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 11:30 am
Most privileged demographic in all of law, right down to the beginning of college admissions. Would it cost the firm less to simply not hire these people?
Are you saying:

"Black people are the most privileged demographic in all of law, right down to the beginning of college admissions. Would it cost the firm less to simply not hire black people?"
That's how I read their comment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 06, 2023 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 3:28 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I think she's still winning the game. This is a person whose competence, professionalism and maturity would probably get her banned from being an Uber driver or working at Domino's, and yet she continues to work as an attorney at an elite biglaw firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 06, 2023 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 5:08 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I think she's still winning the game. This is a person whose competence, professionalism and maturity would probably get her banned from being an Uber driver or working at Domino's, and yet she continues to work as an attorney at an elite biglaw firm.
Not for long. Clearly she's on STB's radar/shit list. I'd be thinking of where'd I'd lateral to next.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 06, 2023 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
She really does stay winning. I agree with most of your take but assume she has to possess some level of competence to work as a third year corporate associate. I'm still waiting to hear from a funds associate at STB about what this ostensibly obnoxious individual is actually like in the workplace.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 06, 2023 11:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 8:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
She really does stay winning. I agree with most of your take but assume she has to possess some level of competence to work as a third year corporate associate. I'm still waiting to hear from a funds associate at STB about what this ostensibly obnoxious individual is actually like in the workplace.
As much as I think URMs get a leg up in biglaw retention, I think that the Tiktok scandal (?) would be a nail in coffin for her (unless whatever next firm fails its due diligence)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2023 8:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 11:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
As much as I think URMs get a leg up in biglaw retention, I think that the Tiktok scandal (?) would be a nail in coffin for her (unless whatever next firm fails its due diligence)
I actually think her career can be salvaged. She can delete all the videos, then issue one video as a public statement that she is permanently done with social media. Assuming she manages to stick to that, she will be fine and will get hired again. If it were my friend, my mentee, my child, etc. this is the same advice I’d give.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2023 9:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 8:56 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 11:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I actually think her career can be salvaged. She can delete all the videos, then issue one video as a public statement that she is permanently done with social media. Assuming she manages to stick to that, she will be fine and will get hired again. If it were my friend, my mentee, my child, etc. this is the same advice I’d give.
She is not going to take this advice. She lives to brag about her big law salary on social media. You can tell by the number of times she refers to herself as wealthy or having “big bank energy”. She also takes every opportunity to remind her followers of her status as a corporate attorney and to tell them how smart she is.

I don’t know her so I’ll state the obvious and say the following may not apply to her. But generally, people that behave this way are saddled with insecurity. It’s not uncommon for them to derive more worth from the status and appearance of being a corporate attorney than the actual work, challenge, or money.

I should make clear that I’m not trying to rip on this person. Most of us are insecure to varying degrees and most of us are at least somewhat concerned with status. It just seems to me that this person might not want to continue to be a corporate attorney if they didn’t have the opportunity to be validated by thousands of people every time they purchase a new chanel bag.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2023 8:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 9:48 am

I should make clear that I’m not trying to rip on this person. Most of us are insecure to varying degrees and most of us are at least somewhat concerned with status. It just seems to me that this person might not want to continue to be a corporate attorney if they didn’t have the opportunity to be validated by thousands of people every time they purchase a new chanel bag.
She can solve her insecurities like the rest of us, damn it: being satisfied by being a cog at a V10.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hekisan656

New

Post by hekisan656 » Tue May 09, 2023 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:51 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 9:48 am

She can solve her insecurities like the rest of us, damn it: being satisfied by being a cog at a V10.
It's not being a cog that's satisfying. It's the saying you're at a V10 part.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2023 11:00 pm

Tableau wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 1:24 pm
Moneytrees wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 1:15 pm
Tableau wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 1:02 pm
It's strange that the people discussing this in the biglaw subreddit are more capable of nuanced conversation about the role of race in the sociopolitical decision-making process at law firms than the supposed TLS autists.

That's not to say there are not any inappropriate or racist comments on reddit. For example, someone made a comment about LP's inability to say "asked" and noted that she says "axed" instead. I would say that's an example of racist commentary. I'm not seeing any bad faith takes here that are meant to inflame.

With that said, I once again encourage that we all (myself included), move this discussion away from the role race plays in firm management decisions, so we don't risk a mod shutting it down. Let's continue simply to discuss the nauseating and insufferable content this individual puts out.
Not to derail, but have a genuine questions about "asked" vs. "axed". What makes you say that it's an example of racist commentary? I ask because there are a few members of my staff that are white that pronounce it with the "x" and I've thought about asking them to pronounce it correctly.
It was racist because the reddit comment was implying that her pronunciation of the word implied something about her intelligence. In general, saying "axe" instead of "asked" is something associated to black Americans and they are often stigmatized and mocked over this.

Here's an article with some interesting linguistical insight: https://www.latimes.com/opinion/la-xpm- ... story.html
I’m going to hop on this because this is a big pet peeve of mine. She’s not Black American, it’s an ethnic group. She’s Jamaican and Dominican. So the AAVE usage wouldn’t apply to her.

bigboybob

New

Post by bigboybob » Thu May 11, 2023 2:28 pm

We got another drop. That laugh. Poor juniors.

butonawednesday

New

Post by butonawednesday » Fri May 12, 2023 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:00 pm
Tableau wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 1:24 pm
Moneytrees wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 1:15 pm
Tableau wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 1:02 pm
It's strange that the people discussing this in the biglaw subreddit are more capable of nuanced conversation about the role of race in the sociopolitical decision-making process at law firms than the supposed TLS autists.

That's not to say there are not any inappropriate or racist comments on reddit. For example, someone made a comment about LP's inability to say "asked" and noted that she says "axed" instead. I would say that's an example of racist commentary. I'm not seeing any bad faith takes here that are meant to inflame.

With that said, I once again encourage that we all (myself included), move this discussion away from the role race plays in firm management decisions, so we don't risk a mod shutting it down. Let's continue simply to discuss the nauseating and insufferable content this individual puts out.
Not to derail, but have a genuine questions about "asked" vs. "axed". What makes you say that it's an example of racist commentary? I ask because there are a few members of my staff that are white that pronounce it with the "x" and I've thought about asking them to pronounce it correctly.
It was racist because the reddit comment was implying that her pronunciation of the word implied something about her intelligence. In general, saying "axe" instead of "asked" is something associated to black Americans and they are often stigmatized and mocked over this.

Here's an article with some interesting linguistical insight: https://www.latimes.com/opinion/la-xpm- ... story.html
I’m going to hop on this because this is a big pet peeve of mine. She’s not Black American, it’s an ethnic group. She’s Jamaican and Dominican. So the AAVE usage wouldn’t apply to her.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR7naw3DhwA
at 2 min
Ax for ask came from England in 1600s
Thomas Sowell, Black Rednecks book

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”