Is Kirkland pushing back incoming associate start dates? Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
Anonymous User

Re: Is Kirkland pushing back incoming associate start dates?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 03, 2023 6:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 12:32 am
2013 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 11:56 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 11:25 pm
2013 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 11:16 pm
For people who keep pointing out that Kirkland “killed it” last year v other firms, isn’t part of it because it has like a 9/30 fiscal year end so it leaves out the three most atrociously slow months of last year and includes 3 busy 2021 months?
I'm not really understanding this - the fiscal year is always the same every year so we're not gaming the months we include or anything of that sort for rankings or any other purpose.

Not saying that Kirkland is gaming anything. But comparing the economy from 10/1/2021-9/30/2022 is very different than comparing it from 1/1/2022-12/31/2022 given that deal work went to shit at the end of 2022. I’m just saying the Kirkland numbers look a lot rosier because it has a different fiscal year.
OK I see your point. Yes it could hurt the numbers but I don't think it would pull them down all that much. And I don't think we're the only ones with the off fiscal year - the other firm I was at had something similar.
The fiscal year ends on 1/31, guys. 9/30 is the review year. Sounds like some (all?) of the SPs here are associates at best. Even NSPs know when the fiscal year ends.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 03, 2023 6:30 pm

September 18th is the start date. Official email came out just now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 03, 2023 6:31 pm

Forgetting small but critical details just makes the poster seem more credible as an SP. Remembering small critical details is what associates are for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 03, 2023 6:33 pm

Per firm management: 9/18 start date!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2023 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 6:33 pm
Can we shut this down now that all the insanity has been proven as just that? Leave it to this site to cause utter fear and chaos in the lives of incoming associates for no reason. I still stand by my prior message that if this actually had you thinking about going elsewhere, you should.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2023 1:31 pm

This isn't late compared to normal firms but Costco usually starts in August so it's definitely a delay and the reason it wasn't posted until now I'd because they changed it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2023 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 12:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 6:33 pm
Can we shut this down now that all the insanity has been proven as just that? Leave it to this site to cause utter fear and chaos in the lives of incoming associates for no reason. I still stand by my prior message that if this actually had you thinking about going elsewhere, you should.
There was like one person that posted about going elsewhere over this. No need to reiterate your message as it was not a common sentiment.

I do find it funny that the thread has suddenly died. Where is everyone that was *so sure* that Kirkland would delay? "There's no way they're starting all of the 500+ incoming summers at the same time given the market!" I don't mind speculation but some of y'all were clouded by your hatred for Kirkland in making this assessment. (Posting anon because I'll be headed to Kirkland).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2023 4:54 pm

Anecdotally, it seems business was soft at the start of the year but has picked up lately. So people's fears may have had warrant, but did not play out.

PaperView

New

Post by PaperView » Thu May 04, 2023 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 1:31 pm
This isn't late compared to normal firms but Costco usually starts in August so it's definitely a delay and the reason it wasn't posted until now I'd because they changed it
Even Costco's August start date is late. Walmart starts its associates in July.

It's possible Kirkland saw this thread as a growing PR issue and responded with a September start date. Let's see if they stay the course without laying off existing associates in the meantime.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2023 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 6:30 pm
To all the people in here going on about the doom of Kirkland and how horrible they are for delaying and how incoming associates should look for other jobs, etc:

Fuck you. Fuck you and your bullshit. You caused all these poor 3Ls a ton of stress this whole time based on literally zero information. Now that it has proven to be baseless, and everything is completely fine and normal, will you come back to broadcast that nobody should worry? Or are you crawling back into your little anon hole to wait for the next opportunity to throw shit at Kirkland with no reason, even if it harms students/associates?

You are miserable little cunts who stir up shit because you’re unhappy about yourselves and your own jobs. Stop projecting that onto everyone else.

Note: not referring to OP who just raised a question without pretending any of it was fact (or the people similarly discussing as a pure hypothetical).

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Sun May 07, 2023 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 11:51 am
Anonymous User wrote:
To all the people in here going on about the doom of Kirkland and how horrible they are for delaying and how incoming associates should look for other jobs, etc:

Fuck you. Fuck you and your bullshit. You caused all these poor 3Ls a ton of stress this whole time based on literally zero information. Now that it has proven to be baseless, and everything is completely fine and normal, will you come back to broadcast that nobody should worry? Or are you crawling back into your little anon hole to wait for the next opportunity to throw shit at Kirkland with no reason, even if it harms students/associates?

You are miserable little cunts who stir up shit because you’re unhappy about yourselves and your own jobs. Stop projecting that onto everyone else.

Note: not referring to OP who just raised a question without pretending any of it was fact (or the people similarly discussing as a pure hypothetical).
Your energy here is ridiculous. I have no idea how you thought you’d redeem Kirkland’s honor while tossing around the C-word in the same breath.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2023 12:11 pm

is it that serious lol

from everything I've heard about junior life there, anyone neurotic enough to get stressed out by tls gossip will get eaten alive by KE (and, fwiw, I don't even mean that as a criticism of KE)

legalpotato

Bronze

Post by legalpotato » Mon May 08, 2023 10:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

LOL

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2023 10:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

(Punches another hole in the drywall)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2023 4:45 pm

The Kirkland nationalism here is so funny. Idk why you guys are so committed to eating out a firm that doesn't care about you and sees you as a means of giving partners an extra million, and then fires you on pretext the moment the economic winds start blowing slightly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2023 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

ngmi

bajablast

New

Post by bajablast » Mon May 08, 2023 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 1:04 pm
Back on topic, Kirkland SP from earlier in the thread, please ask your illustrious peers to say something and calm the nerves of the serfs
Did a Kirkland share partner really just refer to their own associates as "serfs"? Lmao, I am sure you are an absolute joy to be around.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bajablast

New

Post by bajablast » Mon May 08, 2023 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 11:22 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 2:23 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 2:18 am
I thought Cravath was a ticket for working harder for less money? Unless you can direct deposit prestige; maybe I missed that innovation
Last I checked, a salary was more money than no salary. So unless Cravath is doing similar layoffs, maybe there's value to (relative) job security that outweighs a 5% extra bonus.
Does Kirkland pay associates more than Cravath? If so, shook.
Kirkland pays its associates the same as every other market firm. There are a few people who are compensated above the market because they billed over 3000 hours. But the vast majority of associates are paid exactly like everyone else.

Also you misunderstood the Cravath poster, who actually makes a good point.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon May 08, 2023 7:25 pm

bajablast wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 7:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Back on topic, Kirkland SP from earlier in the thread, please ask your illustrious peers to say something and calm the nerves of the serfs
Did a Kirkland share partner really just refer to their own associates as "serfs"? Lmao, I am sure you are an absolute joy to be around.
This was a request directed at the Kirkland SP from earlier in the thread.

bajablast

New

Post by bajablast » Mon May 08, 2023 7:27 pm

nixy wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 7:25 pm
bajablast wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 7:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
This was a request directed at the Kirkland SP from earlier in the thread.
Guess I'm the dumb ass then lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2023 8:35 pm

bajablast wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 7:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I thought Cravath was a ticket for working harder for less money? Unless you can direct deposit prestige; maybe I missed that innovation
Last I checked, a salary was more money than no salary. So unless Cravath is doing similar layoffs, maybe there's value to (relative) job security that outweighs a 5% extra bonus.
Kirkland pays its associates the same as every other market firm. There are a few people who are compensated above the market because they billed over 3000 hours. But the vast majority of associates are paid exactly like everyone else.

what did they say

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2023 8:38 pm

you guys remember when that kirkland sp actually thought we were dumb enough to believe that the stealth layoffs weren't related to the economy and were totally pre-planned? pepperidge farm remembers

bajablast

New

Post by bajablast » Tue May 09, 2023 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:35 pm
bajablast wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 7:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

what did they say
That you're a lil cuckold for posting anon

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 10:48 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 11:38 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 9:26 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 4:38 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
If the Kirkland SP believes that Kirkland's "performance reviews" resulting in multiple firings across multiple offices weren't layoffs, including first years, I'm not sure we can trust their objectivity here.
He knows they were layoffs he's just trying to gaslight us and the laid off associates. I'm sure all the SPs got like the list of talking points informally or formally of what to say.
That is Tucker Carlson-levels of conspiracy theorizing. You must think 1/6 was a peaceful demonstration
Are you insane? You think the SPs aren't coordinate and aligned 100% on a narrative and everything is just happening organically?

Here is a conspiracy theory for you: I know 100% that share partners were calling up NSPs asking them to change their review of a person that the SPs had on their list to chit can. Ask me how I know....
How do you know?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”