Need to be concerned about Shearman? Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
Anonymous User

Need to be concerned about Shearman?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:05 pm

Hello,

I am going to be summering at Shearman this year in NYC. I knew that the firm had come down from its highs from before the 2008 Financial Crisis, or whenever the inflection point was, but it seems that there has just been a steady drip of partner departures from late-2022. Admittedly, most of the movement has been in non-American offices. That being said, I am getting a bit concerned here. Based on those who have knowledge of other firms which have experienced difficulties historically, based on the smoke, would you be concerned about the fire? I am mostly just concerned about having a job when I graduate.

Any advice you can give me is much appreciated!

Anonymous User

Re: Need to be concerned about Shearman?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:13 pm

Partner at a different firm. I wouldn't worry about it as an incoming summer associate. If it still eats at you during your summer, then just do 3L interviews and get yourself a backup.

Anonymous User

Re: Need to be concerned about Shearman?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:26 pm

This isn't the most helpful, but my 1st year friend there in NY is thoroughly freaking out. They cut bonuses, not enough work in corp so worried about hours once stub year is up, and people leaving left and right. May be worth it to start networking now, just in case things don't stabalize

Sad that hogan deal fell through

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”